• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cowan? Seriously?

That seems like the most contentious selection. Could have gone with Robinson, Weeks or Ryan without too many issues. Much of a muchness really.

Unfortunate to see Jones drop out. Didn't really get much of an opportunity in June and has steadily been building for the past 2 seasons.

Agreed. Carter and Skelton both got a better opportunity in that they started their test debuts but they certainly did more to cement their spots.

Jones would be next cab off the rank though. He'd probably also come in if Fardy got injured.

Given Carter's dodgy ankle, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jones in the squad at some point during the RC.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Bit harsh dropping Jones after only getting a 15 minute cameo but I guess that's the price of the wooden spoon. Weeks was always going to get dropped when Benny A was fit again. No Paddy either I see.

Think Lilo and Tomane are a bit lucky considering lack of form and lack of game time in that order but both are proven. Did anyone make way for Speight in the backs or is that why there are only 5 props listed instead of 6?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Bit harsh dropping Jones after only getting a 15 minute cameo but I guess that's the price of the wooden spoon. Weeks was always going to get dropped when Benny A was fit again. No Paddy either I see.

Think Lilo and Tomane are a bit lucky considering lack of form and lack of game time in that order but both are proven. Did anyone make way for Speight in the backs or is that why there are only 5 props listed instead of 6?

Jones has essentially made way for Speight (if you consider Cummins making way for Tomane).

I don't think Jones getting dropped has anything to do with the Rebels getting the wooden spoon. I think an extra lock was picked in the June series to give Carter, Skelton and Jones a crack and unfortunately for Jones, Carter and Skelton both excelled.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Burgess has been really, truly, awful for the Rebels. I'd have preferred almost anyone to him. He's a bad version of Phipps these days.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
He has looked much, much better under the new scrummaging rules than quite a few others; and his work around the field has always been excellent

But he looked like a bucket of shit against the French. Let's hope he's better... not that he's getting the gig ahead of Slipper (starting) and Sio (bench) at loosehead

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
- I presume Burgess is in the squad because Genia is injured. I expect Genia will come back into the squad for the EOYT

- Jones's omission is not surprising. His inclusion was not necessary and he hardly finished off the year with a bang for the Rebels.

Cowan's inclusion is the only head-scratcher for me. If we want a 3rd LHP I'd probably go with Robinson. But given that we are short of quality THPs, and both Alexander and Kepu can play LHP, I would have thought it would be smarter to include Weeks in the squad. This makes me wonder whether Link still sees Slipper as a possible back-up THP. Presumably this is the mix that Link is looking at for the world cup (i.e. 3 LHPs, 2 THPs, with Slipper acting as the back-up THP).
Link is obviously still not impressed with Robinson's progress. He made a comment before the June series that Robinson needed to improve his scrummaging and to be fair to Link, I don't think Robinson's done much to allay those concerns. Robinson has been surprisingly decent around the park (for a guy of his mobility) but poor in the set piece - a real trait of players under Mick Cheika's watch.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Burgess has been really, truly, awful for the Rebels. I'd have preferred almost anyone to him. He's a bad version of Phipps these days.

Burgess is the probably one of the best bench 9s around. He closes off games very well

A great defender with a solid running game that gets metres against tired packs

That said, like Hodgson and Cowan, he ain't playing without catastrophe

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
At this point, Cheika and Robinson need to decide what is good for the Waratahs first, then the Wallabies. Might give Link food for thought, might not.

Cheika's approach has not enhanced the reputation of our set piece really, but there is a more rounded approach to the game which is working. Can't change that.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
This is also a nice time to reflect on the quality depth we have atm. Considering we still have the following players to return before the WC - Moore, Genia, Pocock, Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor).

T

Train Without a Station

Super Rugby teams have been able to be successful with weak scrums. Doesn't appear to work in test rugby though.

Let's face it, based on work rate Robinson would struggle to be a first choice loosehead regardless of scrummaging. Work rate has improved as noted though.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Hard to criticise Cheika given the tahs season, but it is pretty clear that his lack of attention to scrum is part of the reason Robinson and Ryan are no longer in the fold for the wallabies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Let's face it, based on work rate Robinson would struggle to be a first choice loosehead regardless of scrummaging.

Robinson wouldn't even be a second choice loosehead, but given his experience he should be getting the nod for third choice.

Slipper is fast becoming a world class LHP and one of the first picked imo.

T

Train Without a Station

I think the regression in their scrummaging is a concern. I understand that based on their focus in work rate, they would not be able to train at a level that would improve them, but the fact they have gone backwards rather maintaining where they were is a little concerning.

Probably more a function of Cheika's lack of focus in that area, so the players haven't been vigilant enough in their own preparation than due to lack of training of it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
But he looked like a bucket of shit against the French. Let's hope he's better. not that he's getting the gig ahead of Slipper (starting) and Sio (bench) at loosehead

Yep, so the decision isn't is he scrummaging those two but is he doing as well as Robbo?

I would suggest, yes, and he is better around the field as his head gear doesn't need as much adjusting after each contact

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Someone just posted about it on the front page but you'd have to think this is the first time a Wallaby squad has ever been picked without a single Reds player in the backline.

I guess they boycotted the team once but that must be it.

T

Train Without a Station

Well pretty much all the Reds Wallabies are out with injuries or were fringe players returning from injury. Mike Harris and Lachie Turner are in fact the only fit Reds Wallaby currently aren't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.