• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
> Smashed in scrums
> Paddy Ryan
> Surprised

DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Did you watch the game? Essentially amateur scrum for the Rebels had clear ascendency over a pack containing a few professionals including at one stage the entire Tahs reserve front row. Surprising and a bit concerning really.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Weeks and Tomane both ruled out for a few weeks.

Tom English and Paddy Ryan added to the squad..

Paddy Ryan coming into the squad just highlights how shallow the depth is at tighthead prop.

Would have have gone Holmes before Ryan. Longbottom has also shown potential this season.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think it just goes to show how imperative it is we keep our first and second choice forwards injury free, given our insufficient forwards depth.

So long as Kepu and Alexander stay injury free (touch wood), Ryan will not likely see game time.

How long is Scott Sio out for with his injury?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Looking into the future(Japan 2019 and RWC 2023), between Paul Alo-Emile, Ollie Hoskins, and Alan Allaatola you should be fine. Before then, hopefully Kepu, Alexander and Weeks stay fit enough to not have to use Ryan.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I was very interested to see UNI (and Ryan in particular) getting pushed off the ball a few times by the Souths non Super scrum.

Rebels scrum very dominant early on. Actually, Uni's scrum improved when both Ryan and Latu came on, but went backwards after Latu went off injured.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
can anyone enlighten us on the injury status of Scott Sio? how long is he expected to be be out? Is he likely to rejoin the squad during the RC?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Rebels scrum very dominant early on. Actually, Uni's scrum improved when both Ryan and Latu came on, but went backwards after Latu went off injured.

Yeah, Ryan got caught in early, but settled into his work

South's scrum was working very well as a unit, wereas the uni scrum was pretty disjointed

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
paddy has been pretty poor at times this year, i hope that being called up to cover injuries isnt going to send the wrong message about his play.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
paddy has been pretty poor at times this year, i hope that being called up to cover injuries isnt going to send the wrong message about his play.

All it's really saying is that Link sees further investment in 26 year old Paddy Ryan as his 5th choice THP is currently a better option than Greg Holmes at 31.

The idea of shifting Sio to THP is clearly an indication that Link sees this as an area that needs significant improvement.

T

Train Without a Station

Paddy will still be the 3rd choice THP though won't he? Perhaps that's why Link sees Ryan as a better squad option as it will improve him and he's still not expected to play.

Didn't Weeks overtake Ryan in June with Ryan only playing due to a late injury diagnosis?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Paddy will still be the 3rd choice THP though won't he? Perhaps that's why Link sees Ryan as a better squad option as it will improve him and he's still not expected to play.

Didn't Weeks overtake Ryan in June with Ryan only playing due to a late injury diagnosis?

Yes. He's definitely the third choice THP in the current squad behind Kepu and Alexander.

Further to that in the original squad, Link said Sio was there as a THP as well implying he was Link's 3rd choice. When Sio got injured, Weeks came in implying he was Link's 4th choice.

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah I get what you are saying, I'm just thinking if the prop brought in would be the 2nd choice of the fit THP and in the 23 perhaps Link would have brought Holmes in as he is more ready to go, where being outside the 23, Ryan can work on improving in an accelerated environment.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Once again those in charge seem to be playing musical numbers with Australian props. And one of them, Link, was a prop to boot. In all this imbroglio about Sio/Weeks/Ryan et al WTF does Alexander fit? Let's not forget it wasn't so long ago Deans played Kepu at 1 and Alexander at 3 when they were wearing reversed numbers for their Super sides. Well, Deans was a back! This was about the same time the Brumbies were trying to squeeze Alexander and Palmer into the same team.

There's no doubt Sio could/probably should move to the THP pozzie, but is the fortnight before a Bledisloe Cup encounter the time to do it? Is Link starting to pencil in his RWC2015 squad ATM? Wouldn't the sensible approach be to ask the Super coaches try blokes in another position to see how they might fare.

Young Scott played junior rugby with my son from about the under 9s (along with the two Ala'alatoas), they parted ways for a coupla years when schools rugby took precedence (Scott at Trinity, the two As at Newington and my son elsewhere) before joining up again at West Harbour Colts. There was never any doubt Scott was going to make it in senior rugby, he took on the shape of a man-boy very early on; you've only got to look at his Dad to see where it comes from. I wish him well in his Wallaby career, I'd be far more comfortable seeing him wear a 3 jumper for the Brumbies before running out as THP for the Wallabies.

Status
Not open for further replies.