• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You may feel free to disagree with some sort of counter-argument....

But I think it's fair to say that anyone who has watched those 3 loose heads play this year will agree that Sio's scrummaging has been the strongest so far, with the other 2 options having being dominated at times.....

Sio was been shown up trying scrummage at test level last season. He is one for the future, but he ain't there yet

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Slipper is the incumbent.

Robbo was horrible at the beginning of the year, but has improved and has runs on the board.

Sio is the up and comer.

But Pek Cowan and Toby Smith are not THAT far away from these 3.

Tighthead is the problem. Kepu is a good scrummager but has issues in the loose. Alexander is the opposite, albeit his scrum work has looked better this year.

But the drop to Weeks, Longbottom, PAE, Ryan, Holmes etc. Is a big one.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

But I think it's fair to say that anyone who has watched those 3 loose heads play this year will agree that Sio's scrummaging has been the strongest so far, with the other 2 options having being dominated at times.....

Defensive Tightheads won that resulted in a try; Sio 0 - Slipper 1!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Defensive Tightheads won that resulted in a try; Sio 0 - Slipper 1!

That was an impressive feat, but both Brumbies' starting props had come off by then and before that Slipper was getting dominated by Alexander (however, in round 2 Slipper definitely had it over Alexander, but Sio still made the G&GR team of the week for that round).........

As I said earlier though, Slipper is the incumbent and deserves teh start.........

Sio was been shown up trying scrummage at test level last season. He is one for the future, but he ain't there yet

Indeed...... he should be given a starting shot in one of the French tests to see if he's come along since then.......

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If you were picking 5 props for a squad I think the choice is obviously Slipper, Robinson, Sio, Kepu, Alexander.

Slipper and Kepu and to a lesser extent Alexander are all capable of changing sides so you've got plenty of options if someone gets injured.

T

TOCC

Take it as you will Slim, its rather arbitrary to claim its a "fact" that Sio is the form player, or the best scrummager, or the strongest ball runner.

The technicalities of the set piece often make it difficult to assess an individuals performance without first considering the wider variables at play, you must have a significantly more advanced understanding of scrummaging to make such assertions at this point in the season.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Now in going to throw a name out but not as a 2014 or even 2015 wallaby player but someone who I think has a big future in front of him.

That name is Adam Colman.

He is 22 and in his second full season and is getting plenty of game time for the force and I tell you what he doesn't look out of place.

He is a massive unit at 122kg an 204cm he could be anything in he next few years some of the hits he has put on have been huge.

Anyone else agree or is it just me and my force bias?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don't know about this Adam Colman fellow, but Adam Coleman from the Force may be one for the future. However, until he is starting regularly and/or getting more time, there's no point discussing him here (in the 2014 thread).

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Don't know about this Adam Colman fellow, but Adam Coleman from the Force may be one for the future. However, until he is starting regularly and/or getting more time, there's no point discussing him here (in the 2014 thread).
Fair call didn't know where to put that's why I said not for this year.

Reason i was thinking about it was because he should be starting this week against the rebels but yeah one for the future.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's a fair bit of competition already though from other young locks with a stronger claim - Carter, Jones, Skelton........

Although Skelton's size is really the only thing he's got going for him at the moment and it won't cut it at test level....... needs to be able to play for more than 20 mins..........

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
There's a fair bit of competition already though from other young locks with a stronger claim - Carter, Jones, Skelton....

Although Skelton's size is really the only thing he's got going for him at the moment and it won't cut it at test level... needs to be able to play for more than 20 mins....
How old is Sam carter?

Also that's what we want competition for spots.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Now in going to throw a name out but not as a 2014 or even 2015 wallaby player but someone who I think has a big future in front of him.

He is 22 and in his second full season and is getting plenty of game time for the force and I tell you what he doesn't look out of place.

He is a massive unit at 122kg an 204cm he could be anything in he next few years some of the hits he has put on have been huge.

The uncapped Wallaby name im most interested in at the force is Angus Cottrell. Love his abrasive style exactly what australian rugby needs. Fardy obviously ahead in the race for 6, but wouldnt be unhappy to see this 24yr old given a crack

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

he sure is a big bugger. Big is not the only resource a prop needs nowadays. He has to be mobile, he is nearly expected to play like a loosie - rightfully or wrongly

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Slipper is the incumbent.

Robbo was horrible at the beginning of the year, but has improved and has runs on the board.

Sio is the up and comer.

But Pek Cowan and Toby Smith are not THAT far away from these 3.

Tighthead is the problem. Kepu is a good scrummager but has issues in the loose. Alexander is the opposite, albeit his scrum work has looked better this year.

But the drop to Weeks, Longbottom, PAE, Ryan, Holmes etc. Is a big one.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk
What are Kepu's issue in the loose? he carries well and is one of the faster/fitter props

Status
Not open for further replies.