• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Coleman impressed me in the games I saw him playing for the Two Blues and I was stoked when he was picked up by the Force. He's done a great job for mine and if he keeps developing at this rate could be one for the future. The young locks going round at the moment are pretty exciting.

Luke Jones is another I'm a big fan of, though I'd love to see him end up at eight.

T

tranquility

Turns out this Adam Coleman bloke grew up playing rugby in Tassy. Is that a first for a super player?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
CLuke Jones is another I'm a big fan of, though I'd love to see him end up at eight.

I see Jones as a possible future starting 4 or 6, but his opportunity might not come until post-RWC..........

There'll probably be a few guys who will benefit from a post-RWC exodus.........

Fardy's contract is up at the end of this year and it will be intersting to see how long he re-signs for...........

He definitely wants to return to Japan and play in Europe at some point.........

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Turns out this Adam Coleman bloke grew up playing rugby in Tassy. Is that a first for a super player?

I think it might be. He's a rare talent if he's come through a junior system in a state where there is very little rugby to speak of. It's Aussie Rules and practically nothing else down there.

T

tranquility

I think it might be. He's a rare talent if he's come through a junior system in a state where there is very little rugby to speak of. It's Aussie Rules and practically nothing else down there.

Bloody interesting isn't it? Their is a good RUPA interview with him on youtube, where he says that he is half Tongan. So I am assume, that his family had a role.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So after last night, it seems like To'omua really has a starting jersey nailed down. But the question is which one? Are people happy with him at 12 outside Quade, or do his performances merit pushing Quade to the bench and him taking over fly half?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So after last night, it seems like To'omua really has a starting jersey nailed down. But the question is which one? Are people happy with him at 12 outside Quade, or do his performances merit pushing Quade to the bench and him taking over fly half?

I think will depend on several factors, the primary one being McKenzie's view.

For me To'omua's recent performances have really opened up the questions of what we want the benchmark to be for a Wallaby 10.

Attacking - good passing, ability to bend the line, hit the ball up and bust a take or two, have a reasonable step, be creative but controlled, give us variety and good game management regardless of the type of game or defence and most of all be consistent. The 10 should also not be dependant on the 12 or others around him and make them understand him and his play but work to their strengths; Eg: utiling the centres strengths or a 12's kicking etc (this is a team sport). So the Wallabies 10 should be able to play an open expansive running game, a tight territory and forwards game, and in all conditions and be able to control, manage and direct the team around the park both in attack and in defense at times.

Defense - should be able to defend in the line and be feared as genuine defender, put a hit on and go in to or support the breakdown and muscle up as required and not allow the centre 10 channel to be a revolving door. Also we don't want them getting manhandled, EG: Beale of late.

So, if that is the benchmark, and you have limited spots like at a WC, and if it is possible you would want the added bonus of players that can also cover other positions comfortably who fits the criteria?

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
I think will depend on several factors, the primary one being McKenzie's view.

So, if that is the benchmark, and you have limited spots like at a WC, and is if possible you would want the added bonus of players that can also cover other positions comfortably who fits the criteria?

I think you would definitely want Quade in the squad. To'omua deserves first go at 10 on form, but QC (Quade Cooper) is still the most dangerous attacking weapon in Australia. It's just one area where tough decisions will have to be made, but it's a good place to be as a Wallabies supporter. I would imagine they will go for QC (Quade Cooper) and To'omua as 10-12, but there are many other interesting combos available now.

T

TOCC

the way i see it, there isn't really any 12's in the country who are cementing the position for themselves... Toomuas form even though at 10, has him as the leading inside centre contender IMO.

As for the starting 12's currently:

Godwin, not as impressive as last year but still very promising, not a starting test player... yet
Beale, some very good form but they won't play KB (Kurtley Beale) outside of QC (Quade Cooper), so if KB (Kurtley Beale) is in the team then QC (Quade Cooper) gets dropped and To'omua starts at 10.. Not completely unrealistic, but i still think QC (Quade Cooper)-To'omua is a better combination based on the 2014 EOYT.
Inman, he has been impressive in 2014 for the Rebels, but i don't believe he is a test inside centre. Inman at 12 works for the Rebels, but i don't think an Inman-Kuridrani combination is going to work at test level.

As for some other who will probably see time in the Wallaby squad, Tapuai could potentially earn the spot if the Reds play him at 12 for the remainder of the season and he maintains his form. Lealifano is obviously another contender, but he is starting from scratch and behind the pack at this stage.

QC (Quade Cooper) - To'omua - Kuridrani is the flyhalf/centre combination as far as I'm concerned.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
This would be my Wallaby backline:

9 White

10 Cooper

11 Honey Badger

12 To'omua

13 Kuridrani

14 Tomane

15 Folau

Res: Genia, McCabe, Lealiifano.

Unless there are a bunch of injuries there are going to be a LOT of quality, in form backs that may not get a jumper this year:

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Godwin, Inman, Mogg, R.Coleman, CFS, Beale, Foley and more. Didn't even include Speight who will really have to fight for his spot when the chance arises.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
the way i see it, there isn't really any 12's in the country who are cementing the position for themselves. Toomuas form even though at 10, has him as the leading inside centre contender IMO.

QC (Quade Cooper) - To'omua - Kuridrani is the flyhalf/centre combination as far as I'm concerned.

McCabe is the form 12, rested from the starting line up against the Chiefs but played well when he came on. CLL will be another option once he has a few more games and maybe some form.

T

TOCC

Ah McCabe, of course lol..

I'm not sure how it going to work in his favour for the remainder of the season though, Brumbies made it to the finals on the back of the To'omua-Lealifano-Kuridani combination last year, McCabe might be struggling for game time in the centres.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Ah McCabe, of course lol..

I'm not sure how it going to work in his favour for the remainder of the season though, Brumbies made it to the finals on the back of the To'omua-Lealifano-Kuridani combination last year, McCabe might be struggling for game time in the centres.

You're right but in 2012 the McCabe/ASmith centre pairing was Australia's best and CLL was in 10. They probably would've made the finals that year if not for CLL's horror ankle injury. So given the chance he's proven very effective. McCabe is also a winger/FB so I think his value to the Wallabies may be as a utility reserve.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I think you would definitely want Quade in the squad. To'omua deserves first go at 10 on form, but QC (Quade Cooper) is still the most dangerous attacking weapon in Australia. It's just one area where tough decisions will have to be made, but it's a good place to be as a Wallabies supporter. I would imagine they will go for QC (Quade Cooper) and To'omua as 10-12, but there are many other interesting combos available now.

Yes plenty of options - that's why I think we need to set a benchmark, then think who fits the criteria first, then refine with such parameters as combinations etc.

At the risk of getting shouted down (figuratively) I note as usual that most name are put forth attached to form with the exception of QC (Quade Cooper). I am aware of his abilities, and his deficiencies, his form is consistent but not outstanding and is it at the same level as To'omua?

The other question I ask is we all cry foul when players are played out of position. Is not To'omua playing and performing very well at 10 not 12?

So why pick him out of position at 12?

P

Paradox

I thought Lilo was very good with To'omua last night but I'm pushing for a Quade at 10 To'omua at 12 combo with big Tevita at 13. I think Tomane and Cummins should be the wings. I'd give Genia first go at 9.

It'll be very interesting to see who McKensie goes for at lock. Fardy and Skelton would form an interesting combo with a backrow of Palu, Hooper and Higgers.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Because of balance. If To'omua plays 10, then who plays 12 and 13? We didn't necessarily need a playmaking 12 before last year because KB (Kurtley Beale) or Barnes or O'Connor usually played fullback. Now that Folau is a lock at fullback, we need a second playmaker other than To'omua or Cooper or whoever it is. If To'omua plays 10, you don't have a high standard 12 or 13 who can also create plays. Now there will be some people out there who bleat the Lealiifano line, but apart from his goal kicking, he wasn't very good in the Wallabies games last year. So who goes at 12? Everyone else is either too green (Godwin), not talented enough at distribution (McCabe, Horne, Inman), a defensive liability (Cooper, Beale) or out of form (Tapuai). I agree with TOCC that Tapuai needs to be played at 12. But maybe if he finds form or adapts his game to suit 13 he could make it work and you could have a crashballer at 12. I'd also be interested to see how Godwin would go if played at 13. It's a shame we don't have Australia 'A' games anymore to test these things out.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
UNLESS Lilo hits strong form at 12, and quickly, Cooper at 10 and To'omua at 12 is the best option for the Wallabies.

This is because of the centers. At 13, only AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Kuridrani are genuine options. None of the Force, Rebels or Reds options are worthwhile considering. Both of these players are less creative in the midfield, and require someone who can be a bit more of a playmaker at 12.

Inman and McCabe don't really fall into this mould, despite both of their remarkable improvments.

Beale doesn't deserve to be playing 12. He's being hidden on Defence a la Cooper v.2011, without the skill set and performance to justify it. No one seems to have played 12 for the Reds consistently.

This leaves Godwin, and his form has been down. His defence is still good, but he's not found space in attack. Whether that's down to him, or down to increased pressure by others, I can't say. Either way, he doesn't deserve to be in the Canary Top yet.

So: To'omua @ 12. Cooper @ 10. Assuming of Course Lilo doesn't explode into form.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.