• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaroos

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No obvious thread for this so I'll start one. I think it's important. Wallaroos (rank 6) play England (rank no 2) today in Wellington. Kick off is in 20 minutes. The Roar article below gives this FaceBook live stream link: https://www.facebook.com/worldrugby/

Background in these two releases/articles.

http://www.aru.com.au/MediaReleases...laroos-name-11-debutants-to-face-England.aspx

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/06/09/womens-sport-weekly-wrap-buildcorp-backs-womens-xv-product/

It's a massively different team than the last game I looked at. Rock on girls!

Wallaroos Team to Take on England
1.Liz Patu, Queensland, hooker/prop, 9 Tests
2.Cheyenne Campbell, Queensland, hooker, 9 Tests
3.Evelyn Horomia*, Sydney, prop
4.Rebecca Clough, Western Australia, lock, 11 Tests
5.Alisha Hewett, ADF, lock, 9 Tests
6.Grace Hamilton, Sydney, backrow, 2 Tests
7.Chloe Butler, South Australia Barbarians, backrow, 6 Tests
8.Victoria Latu*, Sydney, backrow
9.Cobie-Jane Morgan, Sydney, scrumhalf, 13 Tests
10.Fenella Hake*, Queensland, flyhalf/scrumhalf
11.Natasha Haines, Western Australia, backrow/centre, 7 Tests
12.Kayla Sauvao*, Sydney, centre/wing
13.Ashleigh Timoko*, Western Australia, centre/wing
14.Huia Swannell*, Western Australia, centre/wing
15.Ashleigh Hewson, Sydney, fullback, 12 Tests (captain)
Reserves
16.Caroline Fairs, ADF, prop, 8 Tests
17.Violeta Tupuola*, ACT, prop
18.Hilisha Samoa*, Queensland, prop
19.Millie Boyle*, ACT, lock
20.Kiri Lingman*, Queensland, flanker
21.Vesinia Schaaf-Taufa, Western Australia, backrow, 2 Tests
22.Katrina Barker, NSW Country, scrumhalf, 2 Tests
23.Samantha Treherne*, Queensland, flyhalf/fullback
*Uncapped

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aussies scored first but the Poms have just barged over from a push over scrum. 7 all after 10 mins.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Poms over again from a driving maul from a lineout (from a penalty).

Their set piece is dominating ours and their attack shape looks much better (like a team that is able to play and train together should).

We are scrounging at the breakdown really well and relying on a handy kicking game from Ash Hewson at the back.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
And another to England, out wide this time. Their backs are finding the gaps now and regular overlaps. 19-7 after about half an hour.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Australia earn a penalty and kick it (think it was Hewson) and its 19-10 with a few minutes to go to the half.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bloody England counter from one of our kicks and take it the length of the field to score right on half time. 26-10 at the break.

Bugger

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Thankyou for providing game updates. The only stream I've been able to find is from facebook site world rugby & the stream wont even work.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah, I am not on FB. Hopefully though they will hold the video and I may be able to dig in when I get home.

Cheers Reg

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
sorry I didn't follow up as much in the 2nd half. But, you know, work got in the way.

53-10 in the end which, unfortunately, was a pretty fair representation.

We struggled at the set piece and couldn't form anything in attack. We relied heavily on Ash Hewson's kicking game and so England adjusted by dropping defenders back providing greater counter attack opportunities.

Onwards and upwards though!

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I was at this match mismatch. The England team were far too professional, far too fast, and far too well drilled. The match started well and the Wallaroos scored first through sustained patient and disciplined phase play, putting Ash Hewson across the line in a fairly good position for the conversion. Hewson scored all the points for the Wallaroos and played quite well.

The English first string pack destroyed the Aussie scrum and the front row in particular were skillful and very mobile in addition to their primary skills/duties. Indeed the hooker eventually moved to openside flanker and held her own there.

The English backline were confident and fast and probably unlucky to be denied another couple of try scoring opportunities.

Credit to the Wallaroos - they kept turning up and competing. The lineout worked reasonably although they may want to mix it up a bit more and the scrum was reasonable against the England "finishers". And, to finish on a positive, the first few minutes were almost perfect with the Hewson try coming from what would have been at least the tenth phase.

But, wow, this England team is one seriously good team. Pace, size and skill mixed with discipline and rugby intelligence. A credit to all involved.

(Obligatory Two Blues reference - the three Parra Two Blues players did themselves proud!)

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Having just seen the Black Ferns v Canada I'd have to say it's difficult to see either side beating England.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not looking good enough? Normally both the Kiwis and Canada are brilliant.
It's hard not to be impressed by the sheer professionalism of the England team (I understand a number are fulltime professionals). They are fit, fast, disciplined, skillful and didn't seem to have a selfish player on the field against the Wallaroos.

I've seen the Black Ferns (on TV) a number of times over the past few years and at their very best they should be able to compete with England but they will need to compete from first whistle to last and somehow counter the England set piece. The England front row were a class above their Wallaroos counterparts at set piece and phase play and the England lineout was flawless on their own throw, although I was surprised that they simply allowed the Wallaroos to, essentially, run the same lineout 90% of the time without a contest. Watch for the England throw to the back. Perfectly executed every time on Friday.

I've only seen Canada a couple of times (ever). They will compete but won't be able to match England.

Of course, I could be absolutely wrong. But I don't think so. The Wallaroos weren't terrible last Friday - England were brilliant.

Reactions: dru

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Wallaroos take on the Black Ferns in Christchurch tomorrow, kicking off at 12:45 AEST, broadcast LIVE on worldrugby.org

Wallaroos team to face the Black Ferns:
1. Hana Ngaha, Queensland, 2 Tests
2. Cheyenne Campbell, Queensland, 10 Tests
3. Caroline Fairs, Queensland, ADF, 8 Tests
4. Millie Boyle, ACT, 1 Test
5. Alexandra Sulusi, Sydney, 2 Tests
6. Chloe Butler, South Australia Barbarians, 6 Tests
7. Vesinia Schaaf-Taufa, Western Australia, 2 Tests
8. Victoria Latu, Sydney, 1 Test
9. Katrina Barker, NSW Country, 3 Tests
10. Fenella Hake, Queensland, 1 Test
11. Samantha Treherne, Queensland, 1 Test
12. Kayla Sauvao, Sydney, 1 Test
13. Sharni Williams, Australian Women’s Sevens, 13 Tests
14. Cobie-Jane Morgan, Sydney, wing, 14 Tests
15. Ashleigh Hewson, Sydney, fullback, 13 Tests (C)
Reserves
16. Liz Patu, Queensland, 10 Tests
17. Violeta Tupuola, ACT, 1 Test
18. Hilisha Samoa, Queensland, 1 Test
19. Alisha Hewett, Queensland, ADF, 10 Tests
20. Kiri Lingman, Queensland, flanker, 1 Test
21. Ashleigh Timoko, Western Australia, 1 Test
22. Sarah Riordan, NSW, ADF, 2 Tests
23. Nareta Marsters, Queensland, 2 Tests

(Obligatory Two Blues reference - four Two Blues players! You've got to be happy about that!)

Black Ferns team:
1. Toka Natua (9)
2. Fiao’o Faamausili (45)
3. Aldora Itunu (9)
4. Eloise Blackwell (25)
5. Rebecca Wood*
6. Charmaine Smith (9)
7. Sarah Goss (3)
8. Charmaine McMenamin (7)
9. Kendra Cocksedge (35)
10. Kelly Brazier (30)
11. Portia Woodman (9)
12. Theresa Fitzpatrick (1)
13. Stacey Waaka (4)
14. Honey Hireme (16)
15. Selica Winiata (25)

Reserves
16. Te Kura Ngata-Aerengamate (13)
17. Sosoli Talawadua (1)
18. Aleisha Nelson (21)
19. Lesley Ketu (4)
20. Linda Itunu (30)
21. Kristina Sue (5)
22. Victoria Subritzky-Nafatali (12)
23. Chelsea Alley (12)

Interesting to see Brazier move to 10 in place of Subritzky-Nafatali.

Write-ups here (Wallaroos) and here (Black Ferns).

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Black Ferns absolutely monstering Wallaroos in the first half. 34-5 at half time (six tries to one). Black Ferns much improved from their performance v Canada and Wallaroos simply falling off tackles or not being in position to make the tackle. Not looking good but there's still hope.

Reactions: dru
Status
Not open for further replies.