• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratah Cup & Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ACT player

Marist College (ACT) defeated Knox Grammar 40-0?

someone please ellaborate.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yep, Marist 40 Knox 0. Isnt that pretty clear. Wait for the Knox response that they played their 3rds of u16's because their CAS commitments are their priority at the moment. I am certain it will come eventually.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I'm not a Knox person but to be fair they had 5 lads playing v. GPS.

But even taking that into account 40-0 is a huge result for Marist.

Well done to the Marist boys.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Presumably the NSW Schools Rugby Union are the organisers of the Waratah Shield.

Are they not also the some body responsible for the upcoming School Championships?

Is it too much to ask that they actually synchronise the schedules to give all the Schools the best opportunity to field their best team in Waratah Shield and Associations the same for the Championships?

The mismatch in scheduling which saw the 148-0 debacle between St Augs and SBHS doesn't inspire one with confidence that the organisers actually know what they are doing.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
HJ, I understand that the Tah Shield is seeded to ensure that the 2 likely finalists do not meet in round 1.
As a consequence the weaker teams should expect to meet the big guns early on.
With regard to round games, Knox for example could have organised for their round to have been completed last week as other Schools did.The only requirement is that each round must be completed by a certain date so the next round of fixtures can be settled.Blame the Schools for not getting their act together, not the organisers in this case.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fair points but the organisers should be smart enough not give the Schools the opportunity to stuff it up like may have been the case with Knox/Marist ACT.

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
Watched Westfields play Prairiewood today. I have no idea what the score was, I lost count after about 8 tries to 0. Was a training run for Westfields.

Rugby Parent

Stan Wickham (3)
Can anyone fill in the reults to date from the table on the Schools Rugby Tribune?:

WARATAH SHIELD

Attachments

• 2012 Waratah Shield Schedule.doc
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,207

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I understand that the game just played by Knox is required to be completed by July 20.
Who made them play this week?

It would appear then that Knox really have no one to blame other than their own rugby staff.

Mind you, we may all be doing a disservice to the Marist ACT boys. P'raps they genuinely deserved the victory and would have beaten a full strength Knox outfit anyway. The history books record a victory to the ACT boys and that will stand.

Knox probably need to be a little more clever in their scheduling and prioritisation, although for the life of me I can not understand why a School would enter a competition like the Waratah Sheild and then not do their utmost to try and win it.

Schools Rugby Tribune

Frank Nicholson (4)
Waratah Cup: Quarter Finals (26 June): Sydney & North Division: St Paul's (Manly) won this stage. Others in the QF group were Randwick, Turramurra and Kincumber.

The winner and runner-up in the CUP go into the Shield as quarter-finalist, along with the top two Sports Schools and the four Shield round two winners (so far that is St Augustines and Marist ACT).

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
I heard that Westfields beat Endeavour 34 to 29 ?? I am lead to believe that it was more a boxing match than a game of rugby.
I think that means that Westfields play Auggies in the Quarters and Hills play ACT Marist regardless of their result against Prairiewood next Tuesday.

Lomu

Bob McCowan (2)
'Import' in the sense of these forums would mean any student (loose term) or lets just use the term player who does not pay all or part of their schools fees at a fee paying school such as St Augustines. The balance or total of the fees is paid by a third party such as the schools rugby club, old boys association, local Rugby Union or Leage club ,generous supporter, 'Edmund Rice' scholarship or some other kind of entity and this is then referred to by all parties as a 'bursary'. The 'player' in turn agrees to attend school regularly, wear the full school uniform occasionaly, abide by the schools rules less occasionaly, attend lessons other than P.E hardly at all but attend all training and matches without fail. The 'player' will commence their enrolment at the school generally between years 9 - 11 and give little if any consideration to the fact they have left another student whose parents have paid full fees since either year 4 or 7 relegated to the schools 2nd XV. In line with this definition, St Augustines would there for not qualify.

It just isn't fair....I agree totally!

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
St Augustines are doing the same as what the majority have done for years, get over it. When they were getting their arses kicked no one complained. Lastly, dont you think just maybe, that because it is the the only private school with a recognized rugby program in an area that has nearly 500 000 people that some might not want to travel. Therefore they have alot of people knocking on their door. Also why did I hear nothing about Scots and Newington when Jim Stewart and Darcy Lussick left St Augustines for these 2 GPS schools.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Waratah Cup News

Wednesday 25th at Woollahra Oval No. 1 is the final of the Waratah Cup. The Cup is for schools that do not participate in regular rugby competition. As opposed to the Waratah Shield which is contested amongst regular rugby playing schools.

Over 100 schools participated in the Cup this year run across 16 regions statewide. The games played will be:

St Dominics, Kingswood v St Johns, Dubbo
St Pauls, Manly v winner of St Francis Xavier, Hamilton and Macksville HS (played on Friday - score unknown)

Who is game 1 and 2 will to be determined last Friday following that game.

9:30am – Game 1
10:20am – Game 2
Break
11:50am – 3 v 4 play-off (loser game 1 v loser game 2)
12:40pm – Final (winner game 1 v winner game 2)
1:30pm Presentation

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
For folks who don't know: the winner or the Waratah Cup, and the runner up, go into the Quarter Finals of the Waratah Shield.

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
Hills Sports 88 defeated Prairiewood High 7.

Not the greatest spectacle. The game was played in great spirit and not a hint of anything stupid. Prairiewood competed reasonably well in the first half and got their points on the back of 5 offside penalties camped in the Hills 22 for what seemed like 5 minutes.

Other than that they did not threaten. Hills moved the ball quite well in the slippery conditions but will need to lay a better platform through the forwards in the quarter finals. They have a good forward pack, when all fit, and a slick backline and should prove a handful if they can pull it all together.

As I understand it the quarter finals are Hills Sports V's Marist ACT and Westfields V's Stannies. The other two games will be finalised tomorrow after the cup final.

Status
Not open for further replies.