• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratah Cup & Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Time for some trivia.
Q. Which Rugby Coach started their rugby coaching career in the Waratah Shield?
A. Bob Dwyer, coaching Marcellin College Randwick back in the mid 70's.

sir_richie

Frank Row (1)
Other than that they did not threaten. Hills moved the ball quite well in the slippery conditions but will need to lay a better platform through the forwards in the quarter finals. They have a good forward pack, when all fit, and a slick backline and should prove a handful if they can pull it all together.

Lt, any standout performances from the forwards today?i know the hooker was playing out of his natural position. Would of stood out like a sore thumb gathering he got a body of lock.

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
sir_richie,

Really difficult to comment on performances given the nature of the game and it was uncontested scrums!! Can you believe it at open level. Also most of the starting pack including best hooker, second rower, and all three loosies either did not play or had at least a half on the bench. Those who did play obviously did enough but there is plenty of work to be done at the breakdown, rucking and counter rucking etc.

Lockie Taylor won all the lineouts (including most of theirs) and steals plenty of ball at the breakdown and I was impressed with a new boy who came on in his place in the second half. Not as technical but a great ball runner. I think his first name was Tyson (25). Again, this was not the greatest game to rate players.

sir_richie

Frank Row (1)
Lockie a great player. Still cant believe he was never selected at sc.
Im hearing all sorts of reason why(yellow card i think?)
But the kid should hold his head high cause he did outplay his rivals.hes got next year to have a crack at it.

ISA Follower

Frank Nicholson (4)
I cut and pasted the following report from Schools Rugby Tribune at www.schoolstribune.com:

SYDNEY, NSW (25/07/12) - The Waratah Cup (for non-traditional rugby union schools) finals were played in glorious weather at Woolahara Stadium on Wednesday. The opening match saw St John's (Dubbo) clinch the result in a 29-28 thriller against St Dominic's (Kingswood).

In the second match, St Paul's Manly had too much fire-power for Macksville High School, winning by 40-5.

In the subsequent play-offs, Macksville put up a much better showing, to account for St Dominic's to claim 3rd place in the Waratah Cup.

The two finalists, St Paul's Manly and St John's Dubbo are both assured entry into the Waratah Shield by virtue of being the Cup finalists and it was St Pauls'who defeated St John's by 19-5 to claim the 2012 Waratah Cup championship.

St Paul's and St John's now join the Waratah Shield at the quarter-finals phase. St Paul's has the unenviable assignment of taking on the defending champions, St Augustine's in in all-Northern Beaches match that should attract a bumper crowd.

St John's has an equally tough assignment of having to take on the winner of Kinross-Wollaroi and Oakhill and on recent form that is likely to be the front runner in the ISA competition and recent conquerers of Auggies and that is Oakhill.

In the other two quarter-finals, St Stanislaus and Marist ACT are pitched against the top two Sports High schools.

Quarter-finals matches are scheduled to be completed by 1st August, although there are several round two matches still be completed.

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
As I understand it the quarter finals are Hills Sports V's Marist ACT and Westfields V's Stannies.

Plus St Pauls and St Augustines and St Johns and Oakhill.

Hills plays Marist in Canberra next Wdnesday.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
St John's Dubbo are travelling as much as the Sharks.:)

Good to see a school from the Bush hanging in there.

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Oakhill v Kinross ISA 6th round match on 4 August will double as the Waratah Shield 2nd round game. Think the winner will then play their QF against St. Johns on the following Tuesday, 7 August. SF match for the winner of that game potentially on Wednesday, 15 August.

E

Eshlad

I got out today and saw Marist score a very impressive 29-7 victory over Hills.. Marist completely outplayed a much bigger Hills team.. I'd say after that performance, Marist could have a serious crack at the title!

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
I was also at the game today between Marist and Hills and have put a match report together to go up shortly. I agree that they outplayed Hills today, but I would also say that Hills completely miss fired today. I don't know that it is a true indication of what Marist is capable of. That said, Marist were well structured today and worked as a team, which they will need against Oakhill if they get there. Well Done Marist today!

E

Eshlad

Yes i do agree that they did miss fire today.. I was expecting much more from them, but having said that, how much of that was due to the style of footy Marist played? They stuck it too Hills in most aspects of the game and didn't allow them to get a roll on. When do Kinross and Oakhill play there match?

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
Oakhill v Kinross is 4th I think. It is their ISA game doubling as Waratah Shield.

Hills really only had 3 forwards that wanted to work today and the backs must have had greasy fingers from the McDonalds stop on the way down!!! Marist were well structured and kicked to space and for touch well. I think there was plenty of opportunity for counter rucking against them if they come across a pack that wants to work.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Leicester Tiger's blog on the match will be put up soon - and a bot will appear in this thread.

Thank you LT !!!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Crimes report:

ACT back in Waratah Shield with a bang

August 2, 2012
David Polkinghorne

DB-rug-wide-20120801201907712842-620x349.jpg

Marist College players James Kazis and Montana O'Neill tackle Hills Sports High School Sydney player Chris Asmus. Photo: Jeffrey Chan

It was a case of David versus Goliath and Marist College, playing the role of David, sent an emphatic message to the Waratah Shield that the ACT is back.

Marist won its quarter-final 29-7 against Sydney's Hills Sports High School at home yesterday.

Canberra schools haven't been allowed in the Shield for the last seven years after St Edmund's College won the competition nine years straight.

DB-rug-wide2-20120801201943180333-620x349.jpg

Marist College's Luke McCreath scores a try. Photo: Jeffrey Chan

But the result might not be set in stone, with Hills considering whether to lodge a protest about Marist's use of the interchange.

It looked like a massive mismatch, with the Hills players towering over the home side, one of the Sydney visitors even sporting a beard.

But what appeared to be their strength became their Achilles heel as the Marist backline had a field day in front of a packed, brand-new grandstand.

DB-rug-wide3-20120801202032538507-620x349.jpg

Marist College player Montana O'Neill gets tackled by Hills Sports High School Sydney players Cameron Skelton, left and George Sisifa, right. Photo: Jeffrey Chan JCC

Marist scrumhalf and captain Joe Powell combined brilliantly with No.10 Jamie Bodman as they switched the play from one wing to the other until they found a crack.

And crack the Hills defence did.

It took just 15 minutes for Bodman to put winger Connor Simpson into a hole to score and then outside centre Dougall McLauchlan showed some individual brilliance.

He appeared to catch the ball between his legs before burning off his Hills opponent to make it 14-0 at half-time.

After the break, Simpson scored his second try before Luke McCreath went over to make it 26-0.

Finally, Hills put its superior size to good use to cross the try line, but it was too little too late against a desperate Marist outfit that had repeatedly put its smaller bodies in front of the Hills man-mountains.

Marist forwards also dominated against the bigger Hills pack and clearly won the scrum.
Coach Paul Mead was proud of the way his team stuck to its game plan.

''It certainly wasn't easy, I think our boys are very sore,'' he said.

''Per player I think we're probably 5-10 kilos lighter than most of those boys.

''The commitment to defence was fantastic, the low-tackle focus, and with the ball in attack it was about building phases and making them work without the ball and hopefully when they had their opportunities they'd be a little more tired for it and I think that played into our [hands].''

Mead said he'd deal with any protest about Marist rotating its props off the interchange bench.

Hills coach Chris Hawkes distanced himself from the protest, saying it was a decision for the school.

He was impressed with the way Marist was able to open up Hills, which has made the last three Waratah Shield grand finals, winning it in 2010.

''I thought their halfback [Powell] was outstanding,'' Hawkes said.

''They moved the ball very nicely, sideline to sideline, how well did they move the ball?''
Mead said he was waiting on a couple of results before he would know Marist's semi-final opponent.
AT A GLANCE

WARATAH SHIELD QUARTER-FINAL
MARIST 29 (Simpson 2, McCreath, McLauchlan tries; Bodman 3 conversions, penalty) bt HILLS SPORTS 7.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/act-back-in-waratah-shield-with-a-bang-20120801-23fx2.html#ixzz22KjXySDu

ISA Follower

Frank Nicholson (4)
Might be getting ahead of myself, but the draw seems to be opening up nicely for Oakhill. A second shield championship (first 1994) seems to be beckoning.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Might be getting ahead of myself, but the draw seems to be opening up nicely for Oakhill. A second shield championship (first 1994) seems to be beckoning.

If they get through Kinross, they have the tough road trip to Stannies in the ISA before the next step in the Shield. The signs, form and depth are there but to coin a phrase no one else has ever used, they're taking it one game at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.