• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratah Cup & Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Lee I click on those photos and it just goes to an error message before goign to my gmail account. How can I fiew these?

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Went along to Milner yesterday for the 'Tah Shield semis..........

Augies v Stannies
Not a high quality game but Augies were always in control - final score 53 - 17. Stannies were way off the pace and Augies never looked they got into top gear - lots of stop, start and scrappy stuff. To my (somewhat untrained) eye, Lloyd at lock was the best player on the field. Other notables for Augies were Walker at 6 (this kid goes really well for a 16 yo,) O'Connor up front,and Kaplin in the centres. As he did against Oakhill last Saturday, Green at fullback for Stannies looked a cut above his teammates.

Oakhill v Marist
From the get go Oakhill immediately looked a class above the other 3 teams who competed yesterday. They scored a lovely backline try after about 10 min after impressive lead up work from the forwards and followed this with a penalty to go to 10-nil early. Marist then lost one of their forwards for the rest of the game after he was red carded (an alleged head butt I believe) and they were always going to be on the back foot after that. They struggled to win any line out ball and their backs didn't penetrate the line all day. But to their forward's credit they kept going hard at the breakdown and in tight. They scored after the bell to post their first points and make it 41-7. Oakhill were best served by Blacklock at hooker, Linaker at lock, Gonzalez at #9 and the 2 centres Woodward & Canning. Gonzalez has scored some brilliant individual tries this season but none better than his effort yesterday where from broken play 40 metres out he zigged, he zagged and he zigged again to bamboozle the defence and cross virtually untouched.

The Final
Oakhill will have to improve their ability to gain field possession from the restart. Far too aften they are trapped in their half or 22 for extended periods after receiving the ball from the kick off. Some of their decision making remains less than acceptable - when to kick, what type of kick to deploy, when to run an inside v outside line etc. Augies were missing a couple of back line stars yesterday but I think their forward pack was their first choice - they will need to improve on yesterday's effort - but they are capable of doing that.

The ISA fixture at Oakhill between these 2 sides a month ago was a high quality game where I think Augies were surprised by the intensity of Oakhill's game. Augies won't be surprised again - they will have their A game on show in 2 weeks time and Oakhill will once again have to be at their best if they are going to defeat them. Too close for me to call!

G

Geoff Ross

Crofty
Oakhills Hooker is J Holden not Blacklock, despite Holden wearing No.1 jersey. Holden scored one of Oak's tries yesterday but commentator incorrectly named Blacklock as scorer.

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Crofty
Oakhills Hooker is J Holden not Blacklock, despite Holden wearing No.1 jersey. Holden scored one of Oak's tries yesterday but commentator incorrectly named Blacklock as scorer.

Think you are mistaken - Blacklock definitely packs down as rake - with Holden and Benton as his props, although Holden does do the throwing into the lineout.

I'm pretty sure it was Blacklock that got the try yesterday - it was a bit of a "pile on" but looked like Blacklock who got up with the pill and his team mates were congratulating him.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Went along to Milner yesterday for the 'Tah Shield semis....

Augies v Stannies
Not a high quality game but Augies were always in control - final score 53 - 17. Stannies were way off the pace and Augies never looked they got into top gear - lots of stop, start and scrappy stuff. To my (somewhat untrained) eye, Lloyd at lock was the best player on the field. Other notables for Augies were Walker at 6 (this kid goes really well for a 16 yo,) O'Connor up front,and Kaplin in the centres. As he did against Oakhill last Saturday, Green at fullback for Stannies looked a cut above his teammates.

Oakhill v Marist
From the get go Oakhill immediately looked a class above the other 3 teams who competed yesterday. They scored a lovely backline try after about 10 min after impressive lead up work from the forwards and followed this with a penalty to go to 10-nil early. Marist then lost one of their forwards for the rest of the game after he was red carded (an alleged head butt I believe) and they were always going to be on the back foot after that. They struggled to win any line out ball and their backs didn't penetrate the line all day. But to their forward's credit they kept going hard at the breakdown and in tight. They scored after the bell to post their first points and make it 41-7. Oakhill were best served by Blacklock at hooker, Linaker at lock, Gonzalez at #9 and the 2 centres Woodward & Canning. Gonzalez has scored some brilliant individual tries this season but none better than his effort yesterday where from broken play 40 metres out he zigged, he zagged and he zigged again to bamboozle the defence and cross virtually untouched.

The Final
Oakhill will have to improve their ability to gain field possession from the restart. Far too aften they are trapped in their half or 22 for extended periods after receiving the ball from the kick off. Some of their decision making remains less than acceptable - when to kick, what type of kick to deploy, when to run an inside v outside line etc. Augies were missing a couple of back line stars yesterday but I think their forward pack was their first choice - they will need to improve on yesterday's effort - but they are capable of doing that.

The ISA fixture at Oakhill between these 2 sides a month ago was a high quality game where I think Augies were surprised by the intensity of Oakhill's game. Augies won't be surprised again - they will have their A game on show in 2 weeks time and Oakhill will once again have to be at their best if they are going to defeat them. Too close for me to call!
I totally agree with most of what u said crofty, Green always has been the standout back in my opinion, at the same time there are a couple of forwards who also are stand out players, Rory Stonestreet and John Stevens have both often won best forward. I think some of the year 12 students really wanted to prepare for HSC trial exams next week, which account for a large % of their results.

G

Geoff Ross

Think you are mistaken - Blacklock definitely packs down as rake - with Holden and Benton as his props, although Holden does do the throwing into the lineout.

I'm pretty sure it was Blacklock that got the try yesterday - it was a bit of a "pile on" but looked like Blacklock who got up with the pill and his team mates were congratulating him.

Sorry Crofty, try made by Holden. Confirmed after game. From games watched this season, I would have to say Evan Tuckwell, James Holden & Cormac Burke consistently the hardest workers of Oak's forwards.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Oakhill looked good yesterday and I loved that try by Gonzales as I said in the blog.
They were the best team of the day but I wonder how it would have been if they had to travel to Canberra and lost a player to a red card in the first half, instead of the other way around?

And will not St Augustines be better with the return of Natoli and Cochrane?

Just saying - but I'm picking Oakhill to beat St. Augustines again nevertheless.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lee I click on those photos and it just goes to an error message before goign to my gmail account. How can I view these?

I don't know - I'm no guru. Maybe I got to see them because Auggies and Oakhill folks e-mailed photos to me which had links but they don't work for 3rd parties.

Let's try them again - one a photo from Auggies and the other one an album from Oakhill.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&...9291c60b6e47a6&attid=0.0.1&disp=emb&zw&atsh=1

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/105376817462713907587/albums/5776846853574273393

For the first one I am asked whether I want to open it in Windows Photo Gallery or Save the file. If I click on open, I can see the picture.

The second one comes up automatically in Photos - Google because that's where the photographer directed me to.

Did they work?

PS - I posted them accidentally in this thread but I meant to send them to Gagger to put in my blog.

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sorry Crofty, try made by Holden. Confirmed after game. From games watched this season, I would have to say Evan Tuckwell, James Holden & Cormac Burke consistently the hardest workers of Oak's forwards.

GR, Happy that Jimmy Holden confirmed as the try scorer - he is a no nosense, high work rate grafter who has proven ability to sniff out the try line from close range. Not so sure I agree with your assessment of the above 3 being the hardest workers in the 2012 Oakhill pack. The great thing about Oakhill's performances this year is the ability of all 15 to step up and contribute on a week in, week out basis. All of the forwards have been great all year and its very hard to call out individuals. Happy to debate further, however - perhaps better suited to the ISA thread.

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
Oakhill looked good yesterday and I loved that try by Gonzales as I said in the blog.
They were the best team of the day but I wonder how it would have been if they had to travel to Canberra and lost a player to a red card in the first half, instead of the other way around?

And will not St Augustines be better with the return of Natoli and Cochrane?

Just saying - but I'm picking Oakhill to beat St. Augustines again nevertheless.

Lee,
If my aunty had testicles then she would be my (you know the rest). At this stage of the season it's a case of getting who you can on the field and doing your best. History doesn't always record who played in winning teams just who won. The GPS boys seem infatuated by who isn't available more than who actually played. Rugby is a collision sport and even at Test level two sides rarely meet at full strength.
It's also OK to acknowlege you support Augustines just behind Joeys.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If both Augies and Oakhill can get close to their full strength squads on the oval next week, in fine weather, there should be some fine rugby on display, with the game going either way.

Augies appear to have manoeuvred themselves into the underdogs position with recent losses to Greg's and Oakhill in the ISA comp.

This could be to their advantage.

By all accounts, Oakhill have been very consistent all year playing attractive and powerful rugby, and must be favourites to take the title in a closely fought match.

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Most likely correct to say that Oakhill go into the final as favourites. They definitely looked the best of the 4 semi finalists on Wednesday at Milner and they did put Augies to the sword a month ago. However......Augies have one last chance to redeem something of their season and they will be up for the occassion. At the end of the day pre season trial wins over Scots, Waverley et al don't mean much if you finish well beaten in your own competition. What will salvage some pride for Papa and his Brooky boys is to retain their State knock out shield - they have everything to play for - its all or nothing for Augies.

Whereas Oakhill have already overcome their Goliath and defeated Augies and the other contenders to win the ISA comp undefeated. Complacency (or a sense of our job is already done) could be Oakhill's biggest enemy. Coaches Wisemantel & Burke will have to work hard to ensure their charges have the fire in the belly required to match or better their performance of 21 July. If the passion is lacking the result won't go their way.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It's also OK to acknowlege you support Augustines just behind Joeys.
I don't - you made a wrong assumption; something I must admit I do a lot of myself.

I've seen them play just 3-4 times in Waratah Shield games in the last 3 years and never in an ISA game; so I haven't had many chances to support them, if I ever wanted to. Have seen the Auggies players a lot in rep games though; heaps of times. Natoli is a favourite of mine as was Purcell in previous years.

Edit - just remembered that I also saw them in the hybrid game.

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
I don't - you made a wrong assumption; something I must admit I do a lot of myself.

I've seen them play just 3-4 times in Waratah Shield games in the last 3 years and never in an ISA game; so I haven't had many chances to support them, if I ever wanted to. Have seen the Auggies players a lot in rep games though; heaps of times. Natoli is a favourite of mine as was Purcell in previous years.

Edit - just remembered that I also saw them in the hybrid game.

My apologies Lee,

Perhaps admiration would have been a more suitable term to use. However, I sense from your past few posts regarding the shield games that you were looking for reasons of how Oakhill had progressed and were perhaps false contenders if things hadn't aligned for them. You can only play who is drawn against you and on which ground it is scheduled. As for locks who head butt opposing players and thus leave their team at a disadvantage when red carded, it is not for the opposition to concern themselves with that. There is a healthy rivalry between the two schools similar perhaps to Joeys and View or Barker and Knox, where every game is fought like a decider and this will hopefully create a great atmosphere and provide a tremendous Shield final.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
You look to deep. It's the first time I had seen Oakhill play, ever - and I liked what I saw. (I missed their trial game against Joeys which they lost as I found out later). I couldn't really say if they were false contenders because I didn't know much about them. But I did know that Auggies was a powerhouse in the comp and were usually at the pointy end of Waratah Shield tournaments; so maybe in not considering their opponents I didn't rate Oakhill or any other ISA team.

The trouble if you follow a GPS school is that big games in other associations are played at the same time and the only time you see ISA players is in rep games or the Waratah Shield - and the odd trial game; so you can't get an opinion on the individual schools.

Now I am reminded that I saw Auggies in two trial games against Joeys a few years back and they whacked us. Maybe that has rubbed off on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.