• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratah Shield 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
As its getting down to the serious end of this competition can anyone tell me who is left in it and what the next games are? I know Oakhill and St Augustines play this Saturday and that Hills Sports High is still in it but I cannot find any further information on this competition

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Im hearing Auggies may have injuries - perhaps someone here can confirm that. In any event I am predicting an Auggies win irrespective of injury concerns.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Having seen both Auggies and Oakhill play this year, Auggies should win by a large amount. There appeared to be enough quality in the Auggies 2's to cover most injuries.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Oakhill at home is a lot different than Oakhill away.
Picking Augs to lose the penalty count big time.
Could be an upset, if oakhill play it smart and don't let augs string any phases together

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
The game tomorrow between Auggies and Oakhill is an ISA round match - is it also doubling as a Waratah Shield match?

N

no_name12

Going to be an exciting game. Auggies with everything to lose and Oakhill the quiet assasins

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Oakhill at home is a lot different than Oakhill away.
Picking Augs to lose the penalty count big time.
Could be an upset, if oakhill play it smart and don't let augs string any phases together

Agree that Augs seem to have a habit of attracting a large number of penalties against them, and seem to attract Sin bins.
This keeps opponents in the game longer than they should be.

When Augs start to string phases together, and develop momentum, they get v dangerous.

I presume that the ovals out castle hills way are soggy like most of Sydney's ovals.

The Oakhill #1 oval is not too good in the wet, and this combined with the sticky cricket pitch may make it difficult to develop attractive and sweeping backline movements.

The weather and ground conditions may make this a dour old battle.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
They had 6 of the 8 starting forwards in the ISA pack. 2 made it into the NSW Ones team and another in the Twos.

They were pretty strong when I saw them play Joeys in a trial game but they have some big boys and it didn't really translate into scrum dominance.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
In the main, i believe most of them are league converts.Lots of ball runners,lots of wide running forwards. no real ball thiefs.To beat them you must play it tight.Try and starve them of any phase ball.Make them commit to EVERY breakdown in numbers.
above all keep it away from their backline.
muddy/slippery conditions will negate a lot of their strengths.
Am not predicting a high quality game due to the conditions.but if ever Oakhill can win, it will be at home in the wet.
today they are at home and it is wet.I look forward to hearing how it pans out today.

R

rugga10

St augustines 17 - oakhill 10
auggies were lucky to win that with oakhill bombing 4 + tries, to auggustines credit they played to there strengths , defended well and won the match i thought that Mali was the man of the match , i was dissapointed with Luke keary and Dombkins they really did not stand up and show there Aus. Representative talent and brisby was dangerous in parts of the game. All in all a game that got away from Oakhill who would have been really dissapointed and filthy as they should have one by 15+ but the powerhouse of St Augustines continues and to the credit of Mr Papahaszits. Would have loved to seen these to have another crack at each other on Wednesday when they were originally suppose to play

N

no_name12

What game were you watching? I thought Keary was one of Oakhill's best and although dombkins wasn't a standout did simple things well. Yes Hingano was very well,Was Auggies go forward. Oakhill's lineout was very good but surprised that the ref didn't pull them up for bauking half the time. Oakhill were a little bit hard done by, played very well having missed opportunities as did Auggies. Sloppy game but a good game. Also Oakhill put on a lovely open day and was enjoyed by all

T

the_muss

Mali was the game breaker. He provided a powerful running game that at times split the Oakhill defence, giving Auggies alot of go forward. He was also ruthless in defence, and with the inside centre Purcell laid some huge hits into the Oakhill attack. At times Oakhill seemed a bit nervous running around this section of the field. Loseli also proved to be a potent attacking weapon using his size and speed to cause all kinds of trouble for the Oakhill defence, scoring what proved to be the match winning try just before half time after pushing off several Oakhill players. 5/8 Brisby had a good game, splitting the defensive line several times early within the game. Although his passing was at times a bit off target, he played a solid game and directed the team well, allowing for Mali and Loseli to run in space.

When it comes to the forward pack, Oakhill seemed to dominate in the scrums and provided a safe lineout. Injuries to Kauffman and Mokofisi in the front row for Augustines almost proved costly with the replacement hooker throwing sometimes wayward throws and the front row being smashed in the scrums. During general play, the forward packs were fairly even, with not much progression through either pack.

Keary and Tamone from Oakhill were their best. Faced with his first real test during this ISA season, Keary was able to control the backline well enough to throw some great attacking under a load of pressure. Outside centre Smith from Oakhill did not play one of his best games which is rare for the potent ball runner. It could've been the wet ball, or the fact that he was facing up to arguably one of the best centres in schoolboy rugby, but Smith dropped a lot of ball compared to his normally error free games. It was expected that the game would be won and lost within the centres, and this was proven with Mali playing the more outstanding game.

After being camped inside their own 22 in the first half, Oakhill were very unlucky not to take the game. They controlled most of the possession and almost all the territory within the second half, but blew their chances. The injury of regular goal kicker Graham from the Oakhill may have proved to be a big loss, with Oakhill choosing to go for touch rather than taking the 3-points on several occasions.

Oakhill must be commended for their efforts after coming the closest to beating Auggies this season. Well done to both teams.

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Informed and accurate summary from the muss. For a relatively small pack, the Oakhill forwards played extremely well; their set piece and pick & go work was first rate. Thought Brisby was a class act - he seems to have a heap of time with ball in hand and had the Oakhill defenders second guessing and hanging back. The Auggies mid field defence was exceptional. Smith did not make one line break all game in stark contrast to every other match he has played this season - shutting him down was the key to Auggies success. Oakhill didn't help themselves by directing kicks to Loseli who, as mentioned above, carved up the defence. In summary, a geat game of top shelf school boy rugby (despite the heavy conditions).

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Does this mean that Oakhill are now out of the comp?

It's looking like an Auggies v Hills final. Hills recently beat Westfields 88-0. I think you will find Hills will play Jacob Loko the Parramatta centre that has been carving them up in the Toyota Cup. He will be very hard to handle.

N

no_name12

I.S.A games this weekend. thoughts? Hills and auggies in the final should be the case. It would be such a good game of footy with both sides dominating their respective competition. Which teams are through to the third round of the waratah shield?

T

the berries

Agreed, Hills Sports High have a lot to play for. Continually being put on the leaguies is getting under their skin. The team dominates the comp in both Union and league but use a lot of different players between teams the only real common denomiators are Seague, McCallum and Skelton. The reat are union players from local teams from under 15 and 16s. I really believe big Willie Skelton will explode. The kid is afraid of hurting other players but I think it is time for him to forget about it and really show what he can do. And believe me it aint pretty. This kid can turn an opponent into a javlin. Well its some thing to look forward to.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I wish McCallum was still playing rugby for the Woodies. How long is he on contract with the Doggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.