• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratah Shield 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

the berries

McCallum has one year remaining with the Bulldogs. He will play under 20s next season. He has made plenty of dollars in bonus payments this year, making the NSW under 18 side which played the state of Origin this year. Making Aussie School boys ect. It will all come down to the Doggies honouring their side of the contract. A lot has apparently been offered but zilch has been received. There are plenty of other NRL clubs lining up to take him on. We will see what happens. But you gotta love the Woodies.

T

the berries

By the way Jason Seage signed a competitive contract with the sevens. But problem is he can't take on a fulltime job which would prevent him travelling with the team. What will he do for living dollars

F

footyboy

So who is still left in Waratah sheild:

Augustines
Hills
Stannies
Mudgee

who else....

T

The Blindside

It's a crying shame they won't get to play Kings or Newington - that would make it really interesting

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Could somebody please post:

- How many teams are left and who are they?
- Where the next games are being played, and when (including kick-off time).

Thanks

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Could somebody please post:

- How many teams are left and who are they?
- Where the next games are being played, and when (including kick-off time).

Thanks

I believe its down to the quarters. The only teams that I know arwelefyt were posted earlier - Hills Auggies Stannies Mudgee. Apparently Auggies are playing Mudgee sometime next week - don't know where dont know when. The semis must be played by the 30th August and the final is set for 6 Sept

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks anyway - it's hard to find out this info because one doesn't know who to call to ask. There doesn't seem to be a website.

I'd like to see Augies play a home finals match so if anybody finds out where and when please post the info.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The Waratah Shiled is like a secret society and there is no info anywhere that I can find on this or past years competition other than some small snippets from forums like this or local newspaper articles.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I called St.Augustine's and the helpful receptionist gave as much info as she could:

The next Waratah Shield game Augies is in is at Rat Park on Thur. 26th Aug. at 1 p.m. but there is no advice about who the opponent is. Watch this space she said as details can change.

Not to the point but she said that St.Gregs had forfeited a scheduled game next weekend.

CHS 72

Bob McCowan (2)
Regarding the exclusion of St Edmunds from the Waratah Shield. The Waratah Shield was initially a competition for NSW CHS (public high schools). In an effort to be inclusive and increase the standard of the competition, ACT schools were included. History shows that eventually they were very successful, however against the spirit of the original charter (NSW schools). As a result the "powers that be" withdrew the invite. Such is life.

CHS 72

Bob McCowan (2)
The Waratah shield final is played at a similar time each year. The finals day includes games for other NSW CHS knockout competitions. The Palmer shield is a KO competition for NSW Public Schools. Newport PS has been very successful over a number of years - coached by Peter Aroney. One team was captained by Phil Waugh. Boyd Killingworth (Aust School) played in another more recent win for Newport PS in 2003. A Girls rugby KO competition is also included.

W

Wrinkled Rat

Not to the point but she said that St.Gregs had forfeited a scheduled game next weekend.

Riverview have a number of games against the Auggies lower age groups this Saturday, they were approached to play a 1st XV fixture following the Gregs forfeit. No dice..shame

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
all saints college maitland has beaten farrar, st andrews and hunter valley grammar, so they are still in after three wins they now are in the semis, playing prariewood

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Quarter final match Hills Sports 99 defeated Northern Beaches Secondary College 0. Hills now through to semis. Opponent unknown at this stage. Could be Stannies, Auggies or someone else, I just don't know. No one seems to know.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Auggies play Mudgee on Thursday 26 August. I don't know who Stannies play. So far we have St Albans (?) playing All Saints supposedly in a semi and Auggies against Mudgee in a qtr final. Hills are supposedly in the semi (although I think that post is suspicious given the score) and Stannies we don't know about

I think the All Saints game is a qtr finaland if correct Hills are in the semi already meaning Stannies will be playing a qtr final somewhere. If last year is a guide the winner of Auggies and Mudgee will play the winner of the Stannies game in one semi and Hills will play the winner of the All Saints and St Albans

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Just saw a result that showed Sydney Boys High School winning a round 4 game of the Waratah Shield. Are they still in it?

G

Goldenone

Quarter final match Hills Sports 99 defeated Northern Beaches Secondary College 0. Hills now through to semis. Opponent unknown at this stage. Could be Stannies, Auggies or someone else, I just don't know. No one seems to know.
To be beaten by nearly 100 points at the Qtr final stage of the Waratah Shield shows the parlous state of CHS Rugby at the moment.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Unfortunately you dont have to win many games to make the QTRS. You can have a first round bye followed by a couple of forfeits and your pretty much there. Remember that Hills is a selective sports high school. Also CHS rugby will bounce back if the ARU markets it product better. Rugby in these schools is only played if a teacher, who is passionate about the game promotes rugby. Otherwise the players will play something else. On the Northern Beaches team a disappointing result given that they pick from 3 campuses. Having said that they never train so it has to be expected, natural talent meant they won the Buchan Shield last year but against an open team a squad consisting mostly of 15/16 year olds will get destroyed more often than not.

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
just a quick update, st albans out, prariewood are in vs all saints tuesday in maitland deffinately
st auggies vs hills sports at rat park fairly sure

Status
Not open for further replies.