• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratah Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Hills 57 Kings 17 [Half time 24-3 I think.]

That was an almost unbelievable scoreline but it was a true reflection of the game.

Some thoughts:

• Just about every Hills player was a ball runner or off-loader or facilitator of open rugby in some way. Some of their tries were breathtaking and a joy to watch.

• I eavesdropped on the Kings coach at oranges and he got it right suggesting that they were making Hills look like superstars and correctly telling them how to address the problem. They had to control the turnovers and get them to commit to Kings drives up the middle. Wear them down with structured rugby and get them impatient. Then on Hills ball to knock them over before they got started.

It was good coaching and the Kings lads perked up from the 2nd half kick-off, but at 31-17 the Hills lads put the hammer down and scored 26 unanswered points. Kings couldn't stop the Hills lads from whipping the ball out wide, and once there, stopping the interplay of the Hills' ball runner and his supports. Some of the no-look passing with the body and head square reminded one of the Reds at their best this year.

• It was the first time I had seen Hills in 2011. Their set pieces are not as good as last year and they got free kicked or penalised at a lot of scrums. The Kings' maul was a bit of a mystery to them too. Obviously there were a lot of lads who were mainly league players but one rugby thing they were very good at was earning turnovers. Some guy or guys would keep the Kings runners up and another would rip the ball out, which is illegal in league. They weren't bad when the ball was on the ground either.

• The penalty count was high against Hills and the ref seemed to be coaching them a lot. He did a good job but maybe a yellow card or two could have been appropriate.

• I started jotting down the numbers of the Hills players who were good with the ball and had just about every jersey number down, but the LHP was a standout: big, back fast, and a deft passer.

• Kings seemed to have their best team on the park as the lads looked like the same ones I saw at Joeys on Saturday (there were no programmes). If they were the same then 9. Gregory and 7. Hall can hold their heads up high. In the end Kings looked ragged and were blowing hard.

PS – I hope that it is not inappropriate to say what the Kings coach said, because it described what happened in the first half and it gave credit to the coach.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Unfortunately Randwick Boys had to forfeit their game against Newington today.
They just aren't the rugby school they used to be.

When i was there we made the semi-finals or quarters most years and had more than 10 sides in the school (1100 students too, now its about half that). This year they only have 3 rugby sides....

2 guys got suspended from school which left them with not enough forwards.....
Im pretty disappointed as i helped them out a few times with some coaching this year....

Would have been interesting to see the match up, even though it would have been very one sided, a few of the Randwick boys are in the CHS sides and a couple are already playing colts for easts or the wicks..

Good luck to Newington in the rest of the shield.

S

sulidoror

where did ppl get the times/dates of the qf's ? new played northern beaches didn't they ? is time/date 10/08 for endvr v auggies correct ? ties were to be played by 05/08 ???

T

the berries

The HSHS did a demo job on the opposition today. good to see three of their best from last year watching on. Seage mcCallum and petra. The sports master for HSHS should get a wrap for the way his union teams aim up , particularly with the lack of match games they get.

S

sulidoror

...maybe time for sydney boy high/hills campus to be playing in the gps comp ?.....

T

the berries

Now that is a very attractive option. Remember these children attend a Sports High School. The aim is to develope into a professional football player or whatever sport they attend for. Now should the football program be manipulated or re jigged to include REGULAR weekend football. The we may see the begining of something really special. The boys would be retained within one team and developed as a full time team. The end result could cause the change in development right accross the board of what we are currently seeing. This would lead to awesome exposure of these athletes to those who are in the know. It may even stop league scouts picking the guts out of our ranks. A truely dedicated sports program at a public school would invite the best of the best. Just think about it.

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
Just got back from subject selections tonight for Hills (young bloke is joining the sports program next year) and there were quite a few broad smiles from the PE staff about the result today. Well Done.

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
What we were told before we enrolled is that they have a great back line which doubles as the rugby league team, but the forwards need some work. My young bloke is a 4,5,6,7,8. So hopefully he can help next season.

torps77

Stan Wickham (3)
What we were told before we enrolled is that they have a great back line which doubles as the rugby league team, but the forwards need some work. My young bloke is a 4,5,6,7,8. So hopefully he can help next season.

most of the backline (except 1) are rugby union only

T

the berries

Possibly about 40 right accross the board. Thats all private type gps schools. It is no secret that good athletes are helped along by these fine establishments to help bolster their sporting credentials. As for the HSHS ,they have an holistic approach to the football codes rugby and league. They believe in exposing these lads to both codes and let what will be be. This gives the player a foot in both doors when it comes to gaining employment opportunities and football careers.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
It also gives the school the best of both worlds to select in their teams. How many of the rugby boys are in the schools league side

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Methinks they might not be used to playing for school on the weekends though....it's a new territory for them!

Especially those Hills SHS boys playing for the Pirates. They have enough trouble getting to Rat Park, Forshaw and other far-flung venues.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Possibly about 40 right accross the board. Thats all private type gps schools. It is no secret that good athletes are helped along by these fine establishments to help bolster their sporting credentials. As for the HSHS ,they have an holistic approach to the football codes rugby and league. They believe in exposing these lads to both codes and let what will be be. This gives the player a foot in both doors when it comes to gaining employment opportunities and football careers.

That is a fantastic approach. I wish my old school St Greg's would take a similar approach as they could offer a whole new raft of opportunities to the young footballers at the school. But alas, the game will simply remain the near exclusive domain of weekend boarder sport as most if not all of the top RL players are contracted and thus restricted from playing anything outside of RL on the weekends.

S

sulidoror

...interesting....rugby is now a professional game too....super 15's, nznpc, japan, europe....

S

sulidoror

anyone know new/northern beaches result ? anyone know where endeavour play their home games ? on site ? forshaw ? is 10/08 correct date ? q/f's were originally to be done by 05/08...

Status
Not open for further replies.