• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratah Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
New vs NBSC still hasn't been played. I spoke to Clint Gutherson on Wednesday and he had noidea when they were playing. If Newington send their 3rds they will get beaten as NBSC hace Reece Hodge, Clint Gutherson, Vinny Baranyi and Osuka Lloyd in the backs and about 4 or 5 others that regularly play colts. They will be hard to beat . As I said earlier this is the same team that won the Buchan Shield 2 years ago minus Lalakai, Jamil and Robbie Wolfgramm. Those players are a big loss but the team is still a quality one. For those that dont know they beat Hills Sports in the final.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
NBSC vs Newington is on at NBSC at 2.15 on Tuesday the 9th. I spoke to the coach who inturn told me that several forwards that play colts dont play in this team. Therefore it may be closer than what I initially posted.

T

the berries

They are basically the same squad. Some of the union boys , or should I say , The boys who prefer union are not quite up to the pace yet. This is due to growing, puberty ect. But the rugby boys will grow and catch up and as the years go by - will be ready to play in the comming big matches. The school is actively preparing long term. With a much more focus on academics. But don't get me wrong the school will provide for all abilities in academic regard, with focused study and assistance plans for those who chose to push them selves. Remember Steve Cummins and Gerard mcCallum these boys watched on as the others played.

J

jannypan

It's gone downhill bad since they were kicked out for being too good.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
NBSC vs Newington is on at NBSC at 2.15 on Tuesday the 9th. I spoke to the coach who inturn told me that several forwards that play colts dont play in this team. Therefore it may be closer than what I initially posted.
Which campus are they playing at Lily? Is it across the road from manly boys?

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
The game is at Freshy High. Parking available at ground. Just pull in at the bottom of the hill opposite Bennet boards.

B

Bradley

After the Knox massacre on the weekend at the hands of Trinity I am predicting a big score in the Waratah Shield semi Hills v Knox. Now that we know Hills will be playing their Parramatta and Penrith SG Ball and Toyota Cup players it could be a similar scoreline from the weekend. I wonder if Knox might forfeit?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Any details on the Hills v Knox game? Venue, date & time?

There may be league players in the Hills team but it was enjoyable watching the backs play rugby union v. Kings. Their ability to get the ball wide quickly and then use interplay of the ball runner with support players was of high class. There were not shy to tackle front on either.

On defence their skill at holding the opposing runner up and stopping a maul before it really got going (Ireland style), often ripping the ball out and launching a counter-attack, would be instructive to rugby players. They weren't too good at opposing a maul if it got going though and their scrums were technically weak.

Worth a look.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
All schools have league players in their side, some that have played at a high level (Aus Schools, SG Ball Toyota Cup), some more than others. The problem that I have with Hills is the crowing they do when their "rugby" side does well and there is talk of them competing regularly in one of the association's.

This year there were 3 players selected from Hills in the 3 CHS Rugby sides and none (or one) in the first side. So it would appear that the number of league players they use is the difference. Their coach is very good and very astute at developing a game that utilises the best of what the players bring to the side, but please don't believe that if the league players were taken out of the team and solely or mainly rugby boys were used to play against GPS, CAS or ISA that they would achieve what they did to Kings the other day.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Their ability to get the ball wide quickly and then use interplay of the ball runner with support players was of high class. There were not shy to tackle front on either.

On defence their skill at holding the opposing runner up and stopping a maul before it really got going (Ireland style), often ripping the ball out and launching a counter-attack, would be instructive to rugby players.

These are skills that a lot of league players have and are drilled into them from under 8's right through to their senior grades.

League player's skills in 2v2, 3v3 situations are generally better than their union counterparts because they are working on solid running lines and good body position in defence. These skills show the boys how to attack the line and hold their body in the strongest possible way to break the line.

Union coaches, particularly junior coaches could learn a lot from the skills that the CRL and NRL are coaching into their younger players.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Sam, this is exactly the opposite of what I have experienced about League coaching.kids are coached not to pass AT ALL, throughout the ages & up to19's.

The obsession is about ball control and completion rates.

I have seen 16 yo rep players that are clueless with 3v2 & 2v1's.They all show & go NEVER do they pass as an option

I know a kid playing SG Ball that set up a try and was abused by the coach for passing the ball,the coach told him if it was repeated he would be replaced.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Really? Maybe I’m involved with a lower level of the game here where the stress level of the coach is a lot lower and they focus on skill development.

I’ve found that the majority of league boys have good situational awareness of their running lines and solid defensive skills. From my experience, it’s their lack of knowledge of the tackle laws and breakdown that let them down (obviously).

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What is the definition of a league boy?
Do they solely play League?
It's a bit strange , I know quite a few kids that are 16/17 who are described as "Mungo's" yet they have played both codes from at least the age of 9 or 10.They are never described as "Union players" when playing League

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I would describe a league boy as someone who plays league almost exclusively, but has a lash at union when they have the bye in league or has a go at school.

School is where you really notice the different skills of the different codes. Wagga is FULL of AFL and League players who try union at school or when their team has a bye on the weekends.

The league boys really stand out at rugby training when they show up in their silky shorts with Jamie Soward's headgear. . .

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
New vs NBSC still hasn't been played. I spoke to Clint Gutherson on Wednesday and he had noidea when they were playing. If Newington send their 3rds they will get beaten .
-----------------

A mixed of New's 3rd & 2nd will be playing. None from the 1st.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
.... please don't believe that if the league players were taken out of the team and solely or mainly rugby boys were used to play against GPS, CAS or ISA that they would achieve what they did to Kings the other day.

Wouldn't believe it for a minute - was just pointing out how enjoyable if was to watch the Hills team play rugby union on that particular day.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Northern Beaches beat Newington comfortably. The score may have been 42-12 but I could have missed a couple of NB tries.

The Newington team was made up of 3rds and 4ths players but they never gave up. Their flyhalf Skelton, usually a scrummie, gave a good account of himself with some top passing and general play and 2nd rower (Aspreu??) usually a hooker, played hard for 70 minutes.

The NB lads were very much like the Hills team last week: better when the ball went wide - from the excellent 10. Hodge to runners like 11 Gutherson who popped up everywhere to make long runs, and 13 Fakai who was always hard to stop. Their props 1. Winterburn and 3. Faigata (Sp?) were terrific on the pick and go and scrummie Miller was always a danger.

Another who shone was no.8 Barranyi (?)

Gutherson hopped off the field with a nasty looking ankle injury but he was in good spirits after the game; so maybe it wasn't as bad as it looked.

Sorry about the spelling and probably some mis-identification but there were no team lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.