• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
At least one good thing with KB (Kurtley Beale) going to the Rebels for two years is that he is not going to League..which was a possibility.

If the Waratahs are desperate for a 5/8 perhaps they can see if Giteau will change his mind about going overseas.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
I've stayed out of some of these discussions about winning ugly, attractive play etc.. before because I haven't really been able to gauge my feelings on the matter. Subsequent to Melbourne getting a team, I am confident in saying: if you fans aren't happy with your team winning, you need to get better fans.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I've stayed out of some of these discussions about winning ugly, attractive play etc.. before because I haven't really been able to gauge my feelings on the matter. Subsequent to Melbourne getting a team, I am confident in saying: if you fans aren't happy with your team winning, you need to get better fans.

I never get the term winning ugly.

I suppose a kick fest is ugly but I don't find lot's of forward hit-ups to be ugly. Mostly because in order to be successful with this tactic you actually have to move the ball pretty quickly which leads to half breaks and a quick tempo game. It can become pretty frantic but frantic rugby is always entertaining.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
I suppose a kick fest is ugly but I don't find lot's of forward hit-ups to be ugly. Mostly because in order to be successful with this tactic you actually have to move the ball pretty quickly which leads to half breaks and a quick tempo game. It can become pretty frantic but frantic rugby is always entertaining.

That really depends on the person too. My AFL-loving mate doesn't understand what's wrong with a kickfest. He really enjoys an extended kicking duel.

In my opinion "well executed" rugby is good rugby to watch. Whether that's watching a scrum monster another, a rolling maul go 20 metres, a bone crunching tackle, a flowing backline move or a good kicking game. All of these elements are part of what makes Rugby so special, so seeing any or all of them makes a game good to watch for me.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

I am suck to death of the myth about winning ugly. The idea, perpetuated by half baked Mungo/Rugby journos that Rugby fans do not appreciate a conservative game plan is ludicrous. Most of us like to see a dominant forward pack as much as free running backs. What I hate and make me boo is poor execution, poorly thought out and prepared game plans and just plan lazy execution. Far too often the Tahs fans have received just that from successive teams under successive coaches as with what happened V the Cheetahs this year. This is what got them booed of the park. Not the loss to a perenially under achieving team as the journos would have you believe, but just the terrible application and the lazy unprofessional execution.

Contrast this with the Rebels with few big names and a whole new set up. They play a very conservative game plan and have been in large part competitive with all the sides they played except for the last 50 against the Tahs in Round 1. They get this by sticking to their simple and conservative game plan and executing it well. They may not even win but if they execute that plan well I will cheer them just as much.

Gooch

Fred Wood (13)
This is what got them booed of the park. Not the loss to a perenially under achieving team as the journos would have you believe, but just the terrible application and the lazy unprofessional execution.
Absolutely. As JB said as well, I am a fan of rugby, all parts of it (I'm a back and I can still appreciate a well worked driving maul or a good scrum without the re-sets). If the game plan and opposition style of play calls for field position kicking and a tight game, fine. If an expansive game will work, fine. I don't mind so much the tactics used as the execution. If a professional team cannot execute catch and pass, strong contact at rucks and mauls, walking around the park, slow to breakdowns etc. they can expect people to boo them and be disappointed at the play. If they executed well, and still lost, I believe there would have been alot less booing. Not that I am qualified to comment, not having played at that level.

They get this by sticking to their simple and conservative game plan and executing it well. They may not even win but if they execute that plan well I will cheer them just as much.
A well executed game plan will get me cheering as well.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think the only thing boring about a game is needless frivolity, usually through repeating a part of the game for no reason.

For example resetting a scrum for a hand touching to the ground (presuming no advantage was gained which often there isn't but sometimes there is) or calling back a quick tap penalty based on a need for the tap to be taken half a meter off a spot rather then a full meter.

Fans want to see scrums but amongst a full spectrum of rugby skills, not 5mins of scrums. That being said the new scrum timer they put at the bottom of the screen is obnoxious and makes fans agitated with the game.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well we lose Beale, but I am sure the Tahs recruitment will get us someone equally as good, maybe from OS with our marquee open next year. Mils Muliaina is looking for work?

I have full faith in our recruitment, they got us Dell, Tuqiri, Barnes, Mitchell and don't forget the infinite re-signings over the years.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
From across the ditch Gnostic - or a careless typist, like myself?

My ancestors were indeed from across the dutch, but that blood is so thun I couldn't possibly claim that handicap as the reason for my poor typing, I don't even have extreme age as an excuse Lee, just a very poor typist and even worse editor.

(Shit I hope we have some Kiwis here today or that is just a waste)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Macqueen's contention that Phipps is just about locked in at the Rebels next year may not be gospel.

According to Greg Growden and Jamie Pandaram in the SMH:

The Rebels could .... lose their halfback Nick Phipps to the Waratahs next season. Phipps has indicated he is eager to return to Sydney due to studies and family, and with Waratahs halfback Luke Burgess expected to announce his departure to French club Toulouse this week, a starting spot is available at NSW next season.

Well, that was bunk: Phipps has re-signed with the Rebels - and so has Pyle.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Well, that was bunk: Phipps has re-signed with the Rebels - and so has Pyle.

More meaningful Rugby coverage fromGrowden and the Herald then.

Hopefully the selectors are having a good look at this year's Shute Shield and find some "hidden" or young(ish) developing talent coming through for next year.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Do the the Reds have their marquee signing free next year? If so would there be any chance they could swindle Johnny Wilkinson to try his hand at super rugby before hanging up the boots?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Do the the Reds have their marquee signing free next year? If so would there be any chance they could swindle Johnny Wilkinson to try his hand at super rugby before hanging up the boots?

They wouldn't bother with wilko when they've got some very special talent in the GPS comp this year. A number 8 and a gun outside back.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I never get the term winning ugly.

'Winning ugly' is resorting to kicking for field position because you lack the basic skills to execute either a running or a forwards-oriented game. 'Winning ugly' is resorting to kicking for field position despite having the basic skills to execute either a running or a forwards-oriented game. The Waratahs have done both these things, sometimes in a single game.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Well, no Phipps. I have a lot of time for McKibben so I'm not distraught about missing out. The key question is who do we bring in as back-up. I don't think the juniors are ready, Seymour or Bredenhann, though better judges than me may want to differ. Who is running around in Shute? Bob Dwyer mentioned the SD half Dewett Roos and he's a good judge but is there anyone else?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
The 'Tahs could do worse than look at Matt Schwagger (Australian Schools 2005) who is really starting to shine this year at Uni under Todd Louden's coaching. Unfortunately he broke his hand in the first round game against Parramatta so he he won't be seen for a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.