• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I suggest the reason the ARU/NSWRU isn't involved is that both organisations are being run on the smell of an oily rag and don't have the time, money and manpower to organise such endeavours.

Not saying it makes it right or wrong, just that is probably the explanation.
That would make it wrong.
BTW what does NSWRU actually do?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Doesn't run club rugby (it's hived that off to the SRU), doesn't run suburban rugby, doesn't run country rugby, doesn't run the juniors, doesn't run the schools, doesn't run the Waratahs (they own it but don't run it). So what they've effectively done is fob off any responsibility for failure onto to any one of a collection of organisations, none of which (except the Waratahs) have sufficient funding to do anything properly.

Meanwhile the invisible Jason Allen does what?

Marketing, promotion, ideas, initiative, co-ordination, energy, vision?

After all, he was dux of his marketing course in Adelaide.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
January 2011 is probably the last that most of us have heard from Jason Allen.

The article was interesting on a number of fronts. He set himself 3 goals:

10,000 members - fail (they no longer display the number on their website)

3 consecutive years of super semi-finals - fail

No1 super franchise - fail

Also interesting that there was absolutely nothing in the article about growing juniors, strengthening club rugby, spreading the game beyond its early 20th century footprint, engaging with the community - including non-traditional cultural/ethnic groups, in fact his vision was entirely focussed on elite level.

The cynic in me suspects that the NSWRU board don't want anyone there who will actually do anything as it might upset their particular power base. It's difficult to reach any other conclusion.

There needs to be a large administrative clean out in Australian rugby and I'd be reserving the biggest broom for the NSWRU.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Broom? A forty four gallon drum of petrol and a lit match would be better.

Hopefully the NRC power broking helps dilute the club power broking that is dry-fisting the corpse of rugby in this State. Particularly as regards the Axis of Evil.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Anyway, thought about tonight's game on the way home.

Better crowd than I was expecting - probably around 15-16k?

Bit of composure required and we win that by thirty.

Greyling is a stupid fucking thug and deserves to get banned for his flying elbow on Robinson.

The officials were fucking shit, particularly the ARs

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sorry one more: defence scrambled well and kept then naked, though my heart was in my mouth there for a while

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Broom? A forty four gallon drum of petrol and a lit match would be better.

Hopefully the NRC power broking helps dilute the club power broking that is dry-fisting the corpse of rugby in this State. Particularly as regards the Axis of Evil.

It's great that NSWRU and Tahs HQ have no direct involvement in the NRC teams. I have my fingers crossed that all the NSW NRC franchises do a sterling job and show up the dog's breakfast that is NSW Rugby at the admin level.

But I fear that the "establishment" is so in grained in at the state level that it has to go flat broke and the receivers are called in before any real change will happen.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Happy with the victory tonight.

The number of supporters wearing Swans jerseys highlights how much ground rugby has lost ........ But great to see those wearing Swans gear backing up and watching the Tahs.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Happy with the victory tonight.

The number of supporters wearing Swans jerseys highlights how much ground rugby gas lost .... But great to see those wearing Swans gear backing up and watching the Tahs.

I was at the Swans game and some of the fans had a laugh when I slipped my Tahs jersey on over my Swans polo. At least they know the Tahs exist!

Tahs HQ should have done some work (free tickets/discounted tickets) in engaging these fans to come to the game tonight as many were literally walking past the SFS gates as they were making their way out.

But then again, the quality of the game may have turned them off for life!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It's great that NSWRU and Tahs HQ have no direct involvement in the NRC teams. I have my fingers crossed that all the NSW NRC franchises do a sterling job and show up the dog's breakfast that is NSW Rugby at the admin level.

I think/hope that you might be right with this Badger.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So we're sitting in fourth overall, with the Farce and Crusaders right up our clacker. Sharks extended their lead overnight by playing Jakeball which gives me confidence. "Why does it give you confidence, oh puissant Studlord?" I hear you ask. Well, I've just seen the games that the Shorks have on the road :)

Firstly, its a fucking crime that the Sharks get to start the season with a run of home games like they have. Suppose there are years where they've been dudded, but this one in particular sucks. They've had H, H, Bye, H, H, A (Bulls), H, Bye, A (Lions). That allows them a massive advantage to start the season, but check out what is coming now they have no byes left:

H v Cheetahs
H v Highlanders
A v Rebels
A v Brumbies
A v Crusaders
A v Blues

It is a long run for them before they get home again, just in time to face the Stormers (H), Cheetahs (A), Stormers (A). Conceivably there are several losses in there, despite the simplicity of their game. And if they win most of them and finish in the top two, well they fucking deserve title favouritism from that point onwards. I'm not counting their chickens just yet though.

Our blokes need to get their timing right and we can smoke anyone. Even with Beale off last night, the midfield of Horne and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was working for me, and Carraro did brilliantly on the wing too. The forwards need to tighten up the scrum and we can also get a top two finish out of this.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We might have a chance if we move Beale to 10, and drop Foley. Let him go and play district rugby for a season, and learn how to kick out of hand, also how to pass the bloody ball to supports without it going forward.

Phipps should also be dropped, although not sure about McKibbin. Dennis also.

Mediocrities, the three of them.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
We might have a chance if we move Beale to 10, and drop Foley. Let him go and play district rugby for a season, and learn how to kick out of hand, also how to pass the bloody ball to supports without it going forward.

Trouble with Beale is he'll give you the world one week and swampland the next.
Foley's problem is that Beale is calling the shots most of the time so he is confused about his role. he was better last year but he's never been a good general kicker, IMHO.
having said that the clear plan last night was to stay away from the touchlines, presumably they feared Matfield.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pretty sure that it has already been posted, but worth reiterating that Horne is wasted out on the wing.

When is Alofa Bread coming back from Team Rehab?

Dennis needs to go back to Club for a bit, with Potgiter starting 6 and Holloway, Hoiles and Palu covering the 8/6 when Gigantor Skelton comes off and Potgiter moves into 4.

Hooper to Captain.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ His left eye looked very bad during the post match interview last night.

Perhaps The Pulveriser's Opthalmologist advisor may need to "assist" Tahs Medical Staff make a decision as to his fitness to play (or even fly long distances) after such a potentially damaging injury.:)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Reckon I saw Beale throw at least as many forward passes as Foley in that game. Don't think Beale would handle 10 better than Foley. And at least, Foley doesn't have to be hidden on the wing in defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.