• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Bollocks to dropping Foley for the reasons stated. Not as freakish as Beale but delivers on a good forward platform with variation and a good line breaking game.

Phipps is generally better than I thought he'd be, but I had low expectations. He's still throwing too many loopy, please-intercept-me passes. I think Lucas would be better for Foley TBH.

Team for the Blues

1 Robinson (pack lower)
2 TPN
3 Kepu
4 Skelton
5 Douglas
6 Potgeiter
7 Hooper (c)
8 Palu

9 Lucas
10 Foley
11 Bread
12 Horne
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Crawford
15 Folau

16 Latu
17 Tilse (ugh)
18 Ryan
19 Dennis
20 Hoiles
21 Phipps
22 Beale
23 Carrarro

Cutch very unlucky.

Horne to stick it up the opposition in midfield, and run hard on attack. The number of times he breaks out of contact is freakish - he and Hooper are very similar in that way.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
^^^ His left eye looked very bad during the post match interview last night.

Perhaps The Pulveriser's Opthalmologist advisor may need to "assist" Tahs Medical Staff make a decision as to his fitness to play (or even fly long distances) after such a potentially damaging injury.:)

Eye, eye captain.;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Agree that the Foley/Beale combination doesn't appear to be working as was hoped. Not sure if there's room in the team for both of them.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm pretty happy with Foley actually. His game seems to have gone backwards in combination with Beale.

I've never understood why we bought Beale and/or Phipps and nothing I saw last night has shed any light on it.

People are still waiting for Beale to achieve the potential he showed as a schoolboy. We've seen glimpses of it, but he's had more ordinary games at professional level that blinders. Time to move on I think.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
We might have a chance if we move Beale to 10, and drop Foley. Let him go and play district rugby for a season, and learn how to kick out of hand, also how to pass the bloody ball to supports without it going forward.

Phipps should also be dropped, although not sure about McKibbin. Dennis also.

Mediocrities, the three of them.
Last season every tah fan I meet said he should be wallaby 10.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm pretty happy with Foley actually. His game seems to have gone backwards in combination with Beale.

I've never understood why we bought Beale and/or Phipps and nothing I saw last night has shed any light on it.

People are still waiting for Beale to achieve the potential he showed as a schoolboy. We've seen glimpses of it, but he's had more ordinary games at professional level that blinders. Time to move on I think.
Funny cos his still better the Foley

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not sure about that, but playing together they seem to be cancelling out the other's strengths and magnifying the weaknesses.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
There I was last night thinking the Tahs might be better off with Foley OR Beale, but not both of them (at least not next to each other). I can't stop harking back to Horne's very good performances at 12 last year, it's a shame he hasn't been given more opportunities to build on them. I also haven't forgotten Lucas's excellent turns at scrummy in the pre-season matches; if he hasn't got the best pass of the current Tahs' 9s, well I'm a poor judge of a rugby player.

There's something about the way Folau understands Beale's meanderings around a rugby paddock that has to be continued. I'd like to try:

9. Lucas
10. Beale
11. Alofa
12. Horne
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Crawford
15. Folau
21. Phipps
22. Foley
23. Carraro

McKibbin and Lance (and Betham, if fit) to be held in reserve.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Worth giving Beale a run on a wing? Play that second fullback role. Give him a bit of a roving commission, put Crawford or Betham on the other wing and you're good to go.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Bit tough on Phipps think he has been pretty good and foley pretty ordinary. In reality think they have to stick with foley 10 and Beale 12. Get foley a little flatter and give him a inside runner option to hold up the defense a bit (either a forward or blind winger). He was good last year and can turn it around. The big call that needs to be made is dropping the captain and giving to hooper.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The big call that needs to be made is dropping the captain and giving to hooper.

This should have happened a few weeks ago. Assuming that Palu is now fit, I don't see that Cheika has any choice now. No way Dennis makes the run on side in front of Palu, Potgeiter and Hooper, not if it's fair dinkum anyway.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Bit tough on Phipps think he has been pretty good and foley pretty ordinary. In reality think they have to stick with foley 10 and Beale 12. Get foley a little flatter and give him a inside runner option to hold up the defense a bit (either a forward or blind winger). He was good last year and can turn it around. The big call that needs to be made is dropping the captain and giving to hooper.
Foley is suffering from not having a strong running 12 outside him,inside runners are good,but if KB (Kurtley Beale) is not running a line,then Foley has to just dish it him,or play around him.
They were both contributing well,early in the season,when they were ball playing either side of the ruck.usually by isolating a big guy in the defensive line and taking him on.that still seems like a good idea to me,I just think they have been too piggy focused the last few games.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not a combination or a strategy that would work against Force or Bulls with their defence rushing up. I still don't think it's a great pairing at 10 and 12, although it might work better against the Blues.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Well yeah,it only works with quick ball,and there are a few team in the comp where you know that's not going to be a regular thing.
Horses for courses?

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Not a combination or a strategy that would work against Force or Bulls with their defence rushing up. I still don't think it's a great pairing at 10 and 12, although it might work better against the Blues.
Yeah its been floated here and I reckon for the next game it wouldnt be the worst idea to swap beale and Horne. So Horne to 12 Beale on the wing popping at 5/8 as he did for the first try sat night. This probably creates the less change to the make up of the side but could work.

Status
Not open for further replies.