• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I see that a couple of people have called for the return of Matt Lucas at half. I watched him play for Manly against Uni and I honestly don't think he's the answer.

Pesonally, I'd pick Josh Holmes in front of Phipps, McKibbin and Lucas. He takes much better options, has the ability to run and has an all round better game than any of them.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
He is in great form,although he really capitalises on mis reads and poor positioning,that you just don't get at Super level.
It will be interesting to see how he fares in the next fortnight,with Uni & Manly back to back.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
That's true to an extent, but none of the other 3 really have any running game at all, nor do they possess an accurate kick from the hand, so opponents know that they will pass 99 times out of 100 which puts much more pressure on the receiver.

I honestly can't believe we signed Phipps or Lucas in front of him in the first place. Phipps can't kick to save his life and skips before every pass, Lucas is just too small for anything beyond SS. At least McKibbin can kick goals and has some physicality if caught. He's the best of the 3, but IMO Holmes shades them all.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I see that a couple of people have called for the return of Matt Lucas at half. I watched him play for Manly against Uni and I honestly don't think he's the answer.

Pesonally, I'd pick Josh Holmes in front of Phipps, McKibbin and Lucas. He takes much better options, has the ability to run and has an all round better game than any of them.

I thought Lucas was very poor against the Students. If his passing is the best of the prospective Tahs' halfbacks, then imo the Tahs have a problem. Similar comment re Holmes' passing when he played for the Brumbies. Really lolly pop stuff. Has he improved?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Josh Holmes was totally humiliated by Luke Burgess when he played for Eastwood against Easts a few years ago. He was a boom prospect, but he turned out to be all gas and no meter. That game finished him, in my humble opinion. He is just not good enough for the step up to Soup.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

meh, nice pass, but incapable of putting his body on the line

The game plan when he is on the field is run at him, he will jump out of the way and whinge at his forwards to protect him

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Personally I do wonder what are McKibbon's issues

His pass is solid, he is the quickest and most consistent at getting to the breakdown, he has a long kick and is our best goal kicker

Reactions: gel

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yep, if you view his attributes in isolation,you pick him for the Wallabies every time.
But the ensemble just doesn't seem to work as effectively as it should.
I don't go away after watching him,saying he made this error or that wrong option,it's just meh.

T

tranquility

Yep, if you view his attributes in isolation,you pick him for the Wallabies every time.
But the ensemble just doesn't seem to work as effectively as it should.
I don't go away after watching him,saying he made this error or that wrong option,it's just meh.

McKibbon played all his rugby up until about 20 as a breakaway. WHich is why he is tough as teak, but not the silkiest.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Personally I do wonder what are McKibbin's issues.

If it came down to McKibbin, Phipps and Lucas, I'm with you I'd pick McKibbin. No-one has yet articulated why we recruited Phipps this year - it certainly wasn't on his form with the Rebels in 2013. Cheika stuck with McKibbin all last year and after an average start, he certainly improved as the year went on and he formed a good combination with Foley.

I feel sorry for Foley - he has to rely on Phipps on the inside and has Beale outside him, no wonder his game has gone off.

Backline play is all about combinations.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Lucas did great work in the half i saw against Uni. Puts the ball in front of the man with regularity, flat and hard. Couple of key plays for the Tahs last year and no idea why he's out of favour right now.

McKibbin is good and I'm a little confused as to why he can't command a starting spot every few weeks.

Phipps can play, but for a halfback he's a hell of a winger. Mostly good passing but then that loopy shitball that makes an opposition winger's eyes light up. Not consistent.

And FFS Holmes? Big, slow, great club player but simply not consistent enough. That's why he doesn't have a contract.

It's the story of NSW rugby that Nic White is playing outside Sydney.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Lucas did great work in the half i saw against Uni. Puts the ball in front of the man with regularity, flat and hard. Couple of key plays for the Tahs last year and no idea why he's out of favour right now.

Agree - I was surprised by the criticism of him from yesterday - and he made some tackles on the big men.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Where you been Wamberal?
He played 5 or 6 seasons of Super footy,all of it,or at least, most of it,after he played at Eastwood I believe.

I wrote Holmes off back then, and have seen nothing to change my mind since. That's where I have been, and where I still am. He was a boom player at under 19s, and has not progressed since, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.