• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Get Will Skelton to promote anything! Still wish he'd been able to turn up to the Baseball thing earlier in the year and dwarf all those fuckers.

Picture Danny Green's ad against the Coward Punch. Last line of the ad: "And if I'm not enough of a threat..." (Will walks out of the shadows) " ... maybe you'll listen to my mate Will!"

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
He lives!!
It is not the fans job to fix the problem. Its the job of the Tahs CEO.

The Tahs' CEO has no ground to stand on unless his team is putting serious money through the till.

And that won't happen without a big crowd.

And that won't happen without better promotion.

So yeah, fuck that guy

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Well if by clicking the link & having a whinge might do something then sure thing I'll do it.
It's not hard & if it does something then good stuff.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Maybe he is taking the advice about the corporate world these days were doing things gets you fired, you just need to appear to be doing things. At least he is listening to the fans issues I guess.

Out of curiosity do the Roosters, Sydney FC and Swans fans complain about the service? Certainly the Roosters and the soccer wouldn't have hugely bigger crowds than us.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
The Tahs' CEO has no ground to stand on unless his team is putting serious money through the till.

And that won't happen without a big crowd.

And that won't happen without better promotion.
But they won't stay unless the game day experience is good. The two go hand in hand.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Being an SFS member, I've been to quite a few league games there. In days past, the experience was the same, but now the league experience is far better. There are the bare minimum of facilities open for rugby, no doubt because of the small crowds. I assume our lack of crowds also puts us in a very weak position when trying to negotiate with the Trust.

Our crowds are less than Sydney FC, who had 42,000 for their match against WSW!

I realise that the NSWRU don't have much money and the sharp decline in crowds has hit them hard, but the crowds aren't just going to come back without some promotion. All of us on these threads know when the games are on, but if you aren't a committed follower, the games are almost a secret.

The team has played a much better and more successful style in the past 2 years, but the crowds haven't come back. This would suggest that the NSWRU have to do something to get the back. Free membership for kids is a good start, but the games have to be advertised, marketed and promoted. Pretty much the only promotion I've seen all year are photos of a few of the players with Easter Island type expressions on their faces on the back of cabs.

If they don't outlay some money on FTA advertising for 2 or 3 days before each game, showing some try-scoring, hard running and hard defence I can't see how crowds are going to change at all.

Lets look at the evidence:

Team is playing positive rugby

Games so far have been played Friday nights, Saturday nights & Sunday afternoon

Weather for most games has been perfect

Crowds have barely moved above or below 15,000

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
To be fair Quick Hands, the weather in the week leading up to the Reds game and during the game itself was shocking. It had been bucketing down.
The Tahs averaged 15k at the sfs last year and we're at 16k this year with day games and the Brumbies to come so you would expect a spike.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The Tahs averaged 15k at the sfs last year and we're at 16k this year with day games and the Brumbies to come so you would expect a spike.

Not only that, but we have not yet hosted any Kiwi teams, and they usually bring in a higher crowd.

But they won't stay unless the game day experience is good. The two go hand in hand.

And as we've discussed on twitter: beer at the ground is a guarantee of ruining your experience. Doesn't matter how warm or midstrength it is - put it back in the horse.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
They are advertising. I've seen a 1/4 page on the back of the SMH in the lead up to game day, many mornings the week of a game I get to hear Cheika's dulcet tones serenade me on Nova. Yes there are the menacing faces on cabs & the ENTIRE back of the bus coated in Izzy's glorious-ness (and I don't think it's just one).
I don't think they have the massive sign of TPN out at the domestic airport this year but it was there last year.

As a member & fan it is also up to us to help sell the game. I don't mean yelling from the tops of houses (but hey do it if you want, I don't think TahsHQ would complain), but more trying to get others who might/previously have/could be interested. They're playing much better style than the pre-Chieka era.

I do find it concerning that the day time TV shows often leave the RU reports out of the sports reports, but it isn't hard to write an email/FB post/tweet to them, most times they're accommodating.

Yes the service at SFS is woeful, so rather than bitching & moaning here do it on their contact page, you'll get more traction.

In the end the Tahs are a paying customer to get the service. If the SCGT don't listen to them then maybe just maybe a few hundred keyboard warriors might make a difference. It won't hurt.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well, if they are advertising it isn't working. I'm not saying it's easy and I recognise that they are strapped for cash, but they need some advertising on FTA if they want to get the punters in.

Hopefully bigger crowds for the Kiwi games, but I hope they aren't going to sit back and wait for that to just happen. Professional sport these days is a business and we have to let people know what's going on in our business and try to get our message out to the maximum number of people.

No disrespect to Herald readers, but it's not the paper I'd be spending precious dollars advertising rugby in.

A pass mark for the Kiwi games is 25,000, otherwise it's just the same old rusted on 15,000 who troop out come what may. Not even cold chips and crap beer will put us off.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The biggest disadvantage Super Rugby has is that it doesn't have a weekly timeslot on FTA to advertise future games.

There is also the issue that you can only ever be advertising one game in Sydney media whereas the NRL can advertise multiple games.

Anyway, this discussion is perhaps better shifted to one of the other threads as it is very much not just a Tahs problem.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Any potential spectators know enough about rugby to when the Tahs are playing at the SFS, and whom they are playing.

It has taken years to get to the state we are in now, it will take years to turn things around. We have seen a long, slow decline in the popularity of the game in Sydney.

For goodness' sake, Shute Shield Grand Finals used to draw 15k in the early naughties!!!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Any potential spectators know enough about rugby to when the Tahs are playing at the SFS, and whom they are playing.

I agree with this and think it would apply to all sports.

I'd be interested to know how many people make a choice regarding going to see a live sporting event based on seeing an ad.

I'd be guessing the number is very low.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If everyone knows when the games are on and still not coming, we're in even bigger trouble.

Advertising isn't only about telling people when the games are on though, it's also about raising interest and awareness in the team and in the competition in which they play. Plenty of rugby people I know have no idea when the Waratahs play and stopped following them years ago. They can tell you when the Marlins play and know about the Wallabies tests. These are the people that need to be won back and we need to tell them we've got a good product to sell.

Don't tell the advertising companies that it makes no difference, think of the money they make out of NRL and AFL advertising.;)

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I know I have responding to ads regarding games.on numerous occasions I have intended to go to a game,been too busy to organise a posse,and at the last minute just decided it's easier to watch it at home.
On many other occasions,I have heard the ad,and it's prompted me to make the phone calls to get the night going.
It's a memory jog and a call to action.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, he doesn't come from Sydney... ;)

I forgot to get back to this one earlier:

Born in Scone. Eastwood club player. Even his listed club on his Brumbies profile is Queanbeyan - which is in NSW, so technically he should be ours.

Fucking Tahs recruitment dickheads...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I know I have responding to ads regarding games.on numerous occasions I have intended to go to a game,been too busy to organise a posse,and at the last minute just decided it's easier to watch it at home.
On many other occasions,I have heard the ad,and it's prompted me to make the phone calls to get the night going.
It's a memory jog and a call to action.

Ditch Foxtel. That forces the issue ;)

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
If everyone knows when the games are on and still not coming, we're in even bigger trouble.

I think it's about fan engagement. People on G&GR seek out the rugby. So it may not matter if the Tahs don't advertise etc as we know where to go to get our "fix".

Did you know that the Waratahs has a position called Head of Fan Engagement? Not sure what the responsibilities of the role are as I can't see any tangible output from the Waratahs that would indicate that they are doing any serious engagement of fans, or members for that matter, eg has there been a fan day this year? I am aware the whole squad is turning up to a sports store opening on 1 May in Randwick, but it's not really convenient for most people unless you live or work in the area as it starts at 5pm.

The Tahs should have the contact details of the people who used to have season tickets. Perhaps they could reach out to them and invite them to a home game of their choice and allocate a certain number of goods seats for the offer. First come, best dressed. Then follow up via email or a phone call.

Also, I was interested to hear they set up the Future Tahs website at the beginning of the season offering up to 5,000 free GA kids season tickets for free. I thought it was a good idea to build up a relationship with the kids, but there isn't much content to encourage the junior (current or potential) Tahs fans to comeback to the website. They have the details of all the kids who signed up for a season ticket so what are they doing to engage them.

The week leading up to the Bulls home game was NSW school holidays. They could have invited the kids to come along to watch the regular training session held out on Lakeside Oval and then have a meet and greet with the team afterwards. Offer their parents or guardians a free ticket to the Bulls game if they haven't got one. Throw on a sausage sizzle and make a day of it. The kids go home happy having gotten up close and personal with the players and when they go back to school they can say they met Izzy!

So is it that the current management team are incapable/unwilling to do this stuff or is it the culture of NSWRU/Waratahs Rugby inhibiting them?

Lastly, I find it laughable when they put out stuff like this
http://www.waratahs.com.au/Waratahs...hip-5-tips-for-navigating-the-new-market.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.