• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
After the Force game, I'm channelling my inner Kelis

........ And before anyone asks, no. No one brought any milkshakes to the yard

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
After the Force game, I'm channelling my inner Kelis
Never seen Kelis before but I feel gutted too. The lack of penetration last night shows we can't switch styles/strategies when needed. These professional players have all day every day to think, plan, train and practice their running lines yet we constantly aim for one style only - what Dennis called the perfect game. I assume he meant the Cheika strategy of fast recycling and point of attack be a minimum of 10 to 15 meters away from the breakdown. When that plan doesn't work, our Tahs just keep plugging away at a failed objective.
There are many strategies the Tahs don't use (exhaust the sideline; close-to-the-breakdown running by forwards and the 9; unders runners) because of their inflexible commitment to "the perfect game". Madness.

Rant over. Still don't feel good though.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Never seen Kelis before but I feel gutted too. The lack of penetration last night shows we can't switch styles/strategies when needed. These professional players have all day every day to think, plan, train and practice their running lines yet we constantly aim for one style only - what Dennis called the perfect game. I assume he meant the Cheika strategy of fast recycling and point of attack be a minimum of 10 to 15 meters away from the breakdown. When that plan doesn't work, our Tahs just keep plugging away at a failed objective.
There are many strategies the Tahs don't use (exhaust the sideline; close-to-the-breakdown running by forwards and the 9; unders runners) because of their inflexible commitment to "the perfect game". Madness.

Rant over. Still don't feel good though.

The only way to beat Foley ball is to take it head on in the forwards and win the physical battle. Moving it wide before this just leads to errors and more opportunities for the Force to slow things down.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Only that Cheika said 'it doesn't look great' whilst alluding to Hooper being tackled without the ball, which he was at the time.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
There are a number of ways to take on the Foley tactic. Just look at how many times the Tahs were beaten when he was in charge there or even under Hickey. But a team needs to have the skills to execute the alternate plans.

What disappoints me most about the force game was the predictability of it. Once we saw the Tahs struggling in the first half with the same old tactics that won the game for the Force in Sydney its was easy to see what the outcome was going to be. I have seen on the match thread a lot of people making the same observation, that the Tahs struggle with conservative, risk free sides that has a good defence eg. Force and Stormers as examples. As I said on the match thread that is because as much as I bag the Force for playing a boring one dimensional game, the Tahs are just as bad except they don't (or rarely) kick it. The problem is that the players are not equipped IMO to play any other style. None of the back three can kick effectively. Beale remains hit and miss at the skill. Foley has improved to make it one player who can adequately execute a kick return type play who might be in the fullback or fullback support position. This makes the defence pattern against the Tahs so much easier as there will not be multiple players back to cover a kick that isn't coming, making the running returns of the Tahs so much harder.

As I said on the match thread this doesn't bode well for the Wallabies, when you consider that the side wasn't prepared for an opposition that was totally predictable.

One final point, Beale was very good last year and I had to eat the humble pie and admit as much. This year he is back to playing like the KB (Kurtley Beale) we know and love, chip kicks, crabbing across field and tackling like a wet rag. If the Tahs want to have an option of attacking in a different way they have to drop Beale from centre and have a straight running 12 eg. Horne. They also need to work on a kicking game in the back three, and that may mean moving AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing, or Beale.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There are a number of ways to take on the Foley tactic. Just look at how many times the Tahs were beaten when he was in charge there or even under Hickey. But a team needs to have the skills to execute the alternate plans.

It is pretty clear that Cheika does not coach an alternate plan, they play the way they are coached. Some weeks better than others.

He commented on the Rugby Club, with the smirk on his face, that he knowingly makes it hard for his halves because they have orders not to kick. (box kicks are completely banned)

Cheika's press conference after the Force game was all about not executing the game plan and not cleaning out past the ball.

We seem to so far lack that mental edge to play to standard against the "lessor" sides. Against the Ponies and Canes, they looked bloody good.

The intensity drop against the rest has been pretty obvious

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
It is pretty clear that Cheika does not coach an alternate plan, they play the way they are coached. Some weeks better than others.

He commented on the Rugby Club, with the smirk on his face, that he knowingly makes it hard for his halves because they have orders not to kick. (box kicks are completely banned)

Cheika's press conference after the Force game was all about not executing the game plan and not cleaning out past the ball.

We seem to so far lack that mental edge to play to standard against the "lessor" sides. Against the Ponies and Canes, they looked bloody good.

The intensity drop against the rest has been pretty obvious

I agree, but I find it almost as frustrating to watch a side bashing up against a good brick wall of defence like the force had, it wasn't just because the Tahs underperformed, credit where it is due, the Force defended very well.

My point, and this goes for the Wallabies as well, that if the opposition, in this case the Force, the Stormers previously and this week the Sharks, if they have to cover a strong attacking side like the Tahs with a possible kicking game it would be a little bit harder to defend with that blanket momentum killing defence. Once the momentum is stalled it takes an enormous effort to get it going again in a particular phase of possession and the Tahs get effectively strangled out of the game.

Don't get me wrong, I rejoice in the Tahs actually looking to win games by attacking and using the ball, rather than outlasting sides like they have done since the early 2000s. I still would like to see a complete Rugby side, and that involves judicious kicking of the ball. The key is it has to be well executed, and for reasons that I cannot understand (most likely due to the ridiculous myth of running rugby) Australian players do not seem to be coached effectively in kicking skills.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
yeah but i understand cheika banning any and all kicking, given how it becomes such an easy (bad) habit to fall into for aussie halves

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
What's the injury list for the Tahs ATM? Is it only TPN and JacPot? What's Betham doing warming the timber?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see if Mumm gets a run in South Africa. It's hard to see it being worthwhile unless there are injuries from the Crusaders game.

Gray and Dempsey have both had limited minutes in the last two games. I wonder if Cheika is trying to give some of those guys a taste of Super Rugby towards the tail end of the season. Maybe Jed Holloway will get a crack next if his knee is alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.