• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
That would be fantastic, I think the greatest legacy a coach can offer the rugby world is to take a nation and raise them to new heights. Like Henry and Wales.

I mean the ABs, Boks, and to a lesser extend Australia and England, will always be good, but Italy? We'll see.

That would be an absolute disaster for Australia and the Waratahs! Right now, no one other than Cheika would be in the queue for Wallaby coach if anything happens to Ewen. And another three years of Cheika coaching the Waratahs will have SANZAR changing the rules to give other teams in the comp a chance.

We've just lost Lord Laurie to the UK when he should be the Wallabies forwards coach - a very short-sighted view by the ARU in my book - and to lose Cheika too would be a calamity. Good coaches at this level are exceedingly rare and we need to keep them here. Its a relief Nucifora is gone and I would gladly give away Foley, Graham and Totality Tony as a package rather than Cheika.

If you were fishing you just got me hook, line and sinker!

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
it's hard to imagine what the loss of Australia's best - with daylight second - coach would mean to the Tahs and the Wallabies ... and ... yes ... to the states and territories.

i do find it a little curious that The Great Cheiks would prefer to coach Italy over the Wallabies. I suspect that Midi Olympique is indulging in a little mischief-making hypothesizing - as is its wont.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The biggest takeaway from all the recent Midi Olympique reports is how often players and coaches in Australia are receiving contract offers from France and elsewhere.

It's clearly not just players looking to head to France that are subject to offers. Regardless of whether or not a player has indicated any intention to go overseas there are plenty of suitors dangling the carrot.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Losing Cheika is inevitable, especially if we win the comp this season (knock on wood). Link is firmly ensconced in the Wallabies job, and his efforts in turning the Tahs around haven't gone unnoticed. Going to a 2nd tier nation like Italy would be a logical step, with a view to taking over from Link in a few years time. Cheik doesn't seem like the type to stay in a gig if there is something better on offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
it's hard to imagine what the loss of Australia's best - with daylight second - coach would mean to the Tahs and the Wallabies . and . yes . to the states and territories.

i do find it a little curious that The Great Cheiks would prefer to coach Italy over the Wallabies. I suspect that Midi Olympique is indulging in a little mischief-making hypothesizing - as is its wont.

you think he's better than Link?

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I reckon the tahs should recruit Richard Graham as head coach if Cheika goes. He can really transform a team, of that there is no doubt.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So anyone know how to say "Run faster, you fucking weak c***s!" in Italian?

correre più veloce si fiche deboli

Thanks to google translate. My Italian isn't that good, basically enough to order beer, get food and tell you where I've been

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
So anyone know how to say "Run faster, you fucking weak c***s!" in Italian?

That's a tough one, the word fluffybunny isn't one they use in Italian. Though they have words they'd use in the same circumstance.

Oh, you weren't seriously asking? My bad.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
You'd like to think that we could contract Northham too, but I can't see any way we could contract all three. Some other franchise is going to pick up Northam and/or Jones you would think - they'll have more moolah to throw around than us.

Would there be interest in the Woodies' wingers from elsewhere also? Both Grant and Batger seem to be going pretty good, but would be behind the others mentioned above.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That would be fantastic, I think the greatest legacy a coach can offer the rugby world is to take a nation and raise them to new heights. Like Henry and Wales.

I mean the ABs, Boks, and to a lesser extend Australia and England, will always be good, but Italy? We'll see.

Not sure I like this. Chieka surely would be the front runner to take on the Wallabies after the RWC, assuming Link then pulls the plug.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not sure I like this. Chieka surely would be the front runner to take on the Wallabies after the RWC, assuming Link then pulls the plug.

I'm not really thinking Wallabies. Here's what's probably Chieks' reality, Italy has tabled an offer, Aus hasn't.

I'm an Aussie, and his Super Rugby form meant if Link dropped dead tomorrow he'd deserve a crack. But, I'd rather that not happen because Link is actually doing well too.

T

Train Without a Station

Even if Italy were to offer the role to Cheika, would he be likely to take it?

there's a number of key questions to answer.

1. Is coaching the Wallabies his ultimate career goal as a coach? If so, does coaching Italy get him any closer to that at all?

2. Is coaching a team outside the top 10 an upward career move from Super Rugby?

3. Would the money be better?

4. Does Cheika have strong family ties in Australia?

You'd have to imagine the answer to the first 3 would need to be yes to see him take the offer.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Even if Italy were to offer the role to Cheika, would he be likely to take it?

there's a number of key questions to answer.

1. Is coaching the Wallabies his ultimate career goal as a coach? If so, does coaching Italy get him any closer to that at all?

2. Is coaching a team outside the top 10 an upward career move from Super Rugby?

3. Would the money be better?

4. Does Cheika have strong family ties in Australia?

You'd have to imagine the answer to the first 3 would need to be yes to see him take the offer.

5. "Three year plan to win the 6N? Fucken oath!"

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
That would be an absolute disaster for Australia and the Waratahs! Right now, no one other than Cheika would be in the queue for Wallaby coach if anything happens to Ewen. And another three years of Cheika coaching the Waratahs will have SANZAR changing the rules to give other teams in the comp a chance.

We've just lost Lord Laurie to the UK when he should be the Wallabies forwards coach - a very short-sighted view by the ARU in my book - and to lose Cheika too would be a calamity. Good coaches at this level are exceedingly rare and we need to keep them here. Its a relief Nucifora is gone and I would gladly give away Foley, Graham and Totality Tony as a package rather than Cheika.

If you were fishing you just got me hook, line and sinker!

It amazes me that the ABs have for years shown the way in terms of maintained performance at the highest level.

For instance the AB scrum coach, Cron, travelling around addressing skill issues at Super level with individuals. Case in point, Crocket - he still has his hinging problems by is a far better prop than he used to be. Where are Alexander, Robinson etc etc etc in terms of comparative development? Robinson for instance has fallen a long way behind other props of the same vintage like Woodcock.

My point is if the ARU were fair dinkum about "High Performance" they would have emulated such roles with coaches like Fischer and maybe consultants like Rodrigeuz providing such skill improvement mentoring to address individual issues. Apparently a Head coach doesn't have time (and in many cases the expertise) to address such things in team camps, and indeed I think these are long term improvement projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.