• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Peterson's just 23 and finally injury-free, let's see how he goes in the NRC before putting a line through him.

We already had a line through him! Now there's a chance to rub the line out.

I certainly agree though that we should wait and see what happens with the NRC. Wouldn't be a bad option for Cheika to tell a couple of blokes that he's interested in them and if they go well they're a chance at a contract.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't think he's interested, he could've stayed in France if he wanted to do continue. I think he's just doing the NRC as a swansong.

Just on Mafi, I'm sure he's family is in Sydney and that would've been his preference..

hasn't he signed for the Force?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah which is why it's puzzling he went there when it's been reported he came home for his family. We need a player like him.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Of course completely slipped my mind. Makes perfect sense now. If he ever does change to Australian eligibility as has been reported come back to the Tahs!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Steve Cummins from Eastwood looked a solid lock early in the season ................................... and he has been picked up by the Rebels :(

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mitch Lees is playing for London Welsh in the Rugby Championship (div 2 in England). He's a similar player to Jared Barry but was better. I'd take Barry and Andrew Clyne before Cummins and Peterson. Tom Boidin had a gig with the Brumbies in 2011?

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Mitch Lees is playing for London Welsh in the Rugby Championship (div 2 in England). He's a similar player to Jared Barry but was better. I'd take Barry and Andrew Clyne before Cummins and Peterson. Tom Boidin had a gig with the Brumbies in 2011?

Boidin is a no nonsense hard 'on baller' but is he big enough to play lock at Super Rugby level?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If our locks were Skelton, Potgieter, Chapman, Peterson I wouldn't feel too bad about the situation.

Braveheart: You are always looking for the bright side, but really that would be a poor locking roster to go into next season with. Chapman played really well at the end of the season but unless he can maintain that level of intensity and smarts over 80 minutes week in and week out, he's only going to be a bench player. Petersen has not ever performed to expectation yet. That leaves just Skelton and Potgieter who will have to remain injury free all season. Worse, it significantly reduces our lineout options.

Long term I see Skelton as Palu's replacement and I think giving him a couple of games at eight next year will be important preparation as well as handling Palu's workload, which will be massive in a World Cup year. We need another up-and-coming lock who is a lineout catcher and preferably a tight head side lock too. Finding one is the problem and we are already using our import card on Potgieter, so it has to be someone who is Wallaby-possible. A trip to Samoa or Fiji is probably our best shot - no one seems to have screamed out "pick me" in Shute. Maybe there's someone not yet contracted in the NRC; we'll have to wait and see.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I completely get what you're saying Hawko and I agree that whatever we end up with is a huge downgrade because we've lost our best lock and will need our 4th choice to play.

I agree that there are no absolute standouts in the Shute Shield but would query whether an unknown player from the pacific islands who would come in as a foreign development player would be better equipped to play Super Rugby than Peterson or Barry etc.

One of the Aussies who is playing in the UK and is looking to come home could be good but it could be hard to fit amongst our salary demands.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Talking of Steve Mafi, qwerty51 says
If he ever does change to Australian eligibility as has been reported come back to the Tahs!

I doubt Steve would have good memories of his time at the Tahs. But you can't say he wouldn't agree to come back - he is a professional player with all the trappings that brings, including a sportsman's limited shelf life. He's a very fine player IMO.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Barry and Peterson were rated the best locks in Shute shield. Barry would have to lose some weight to be a super rugby player. He looks like a tall prop. Peterson has always been injured and looked good this year. There isn't anyone else at the moment but him but technically he'd just be replacing himself not Douglas. The Tahs have not used their foreign development spot for many years now. Maybe there's a young lock out there who wouldn't mind australian residency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Talking of Steve Mafi, qwerty51 says

I doubt Steve would have good memories of his time at the Tahs. But you can't say he wouldn't agree to come back - he is a professional player with all the trappings that brings, including a sportsman's limited shelf life. He's a very fine player IMO.
Going by this I would say you may be right about his time at the tahs.

‘I’m really happy I came here. I didn’t want anything to do with the Waratahs and all the other Australian franchises were full. My only option was to go overseas but I thought I would play one season, then go back to Australia — that was my plan, anyway.’http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...Mafi--Leicester-lock-exclusive-Chris-Foy.html

Was Interested to read today he will play for the rams in the NRC will be good to get a look at him before he comes to the force next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.