• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
"Peterson.....has always been injured and looked good this year. .....technically he'd just be replacing himself....."

A bewildering concept. Never mind, if he's good enough, keep him on.

PS. How come when I hit on Reply the post I wish to quote from doesn't appear? It used to.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Peterson was essentially off the books for 2015 as he signed to France but now he's back on the market as that has seemed to have fallen through.

If Cheika doesn't re-sign him it will probably suggest he really doesn't rate him after having him fit and training with the team all year.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Barry sure looked damaging at times but I can't imagine he'd be up to even a half of Super Rugby unless he lost a lot of weight, so agree on that. Skelton is a better version, anyway. The Tahs need a more traditional lock.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
"Peterson...has always been injured and looked good this year. ...technically he'd just be replacing himself..."

A bewildering concept. Never mind, if he's good enough, keep him on.

PS. How come when I hit on Reply the post I wish to quote from doesn't appear? It used to.

it appears for me.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
To put it in perspective,how did he poll in MOM discussions throughout the year?
He should have been the standout in the Manly side week in,week out.
How would he have gone in a weaker pack?
I only ever saw him make good ground against retreating defences,after the amateurs in his pack had made the hard yards.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Mitch Lees is playing for London Welsh in the Rugby Championship (div 2 in England). He's a similar player to Jared Barry but was better. I'd take Barry and Andrew Clyne before Cummins and Peterson. Tom Boidin had a gig with the Brumbies in 2011?

Doesn't it depend on the role, we need a young, big rock mover to do the dog work

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Peterson in my mind is equivalent to a flat track bully. When the heat got turned up on their pack by Eastwood he went missing and completely outplayed by Barry.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Peterson in my mind is equivalent to a flat track bully. When the heat got turned up on their pack by Eastwood he went missing and completely outplayed by Barry.

Still I was impressed by his lineout work despite being so large.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Really not sure that there are many spots left in the Tahs squad for next season (unless some of the people we would like to keep end up leaving) but who did we like from the NRC?

I'm guessing that with no EPS and 32 man squads next year there will be some sort of wider training squad that trains most of the time, particularly in preseason and gets paid something.

I think mainly we should look at players from the Sydney teams because it's not like we'll be recruiting someone from Brisbane to train for nothing.

From last night I thought Jimmy Stewart who was the 13 (but played 12 in the JWC) was the standout.

The 6 Sam Quinn and the 14 James Dargaville (who played JWC last year from memory) were my other picks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
ANZ Stadium's two problems are that the ground is not ideal for watching rugby and there aren't good bars and restaurants in the precinct relative to what's available near Moore Park. Getting there and home really isn't the problem.

From SMH today, it's suggesting that the ANZ Stadium bid for the Waratahs would plan to keep the mix of games the same as what it is now. Two blockbuster games at ANZ a year plus the final if they host it. I guess the people behind it might be smart enough to realise that the bid would be stupid if they disintegrated the membership base in the process.

T

Train Without a Station

And equally just because you wouldn't remain a member at Homebush, what's to say there isn't somebody who says the same about Allianz.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It would be interesting to understand the demographic of the existing membership base.
Just because you are a member ATM,it doesn't mean Allianz is close to home.

It would be interesting, wouldn't it?

Postcode analysis is done in a majority of businesses and would be universal in entertainment-type businesses.

They would know where their customers come from and if the demographics are what we think they are, staying at Moore Park would make sense, on the face of it.

But it doesn't answer the question of whether or not the membership will fall or rise in the short to medium term if the venue is changed to somewhere so far away. Will new customers make up for old customers lost?

Surveys can give some clues in the matter if they are done scientifically but it would be a brave organisation that undergoes such a radical change in venue location.

The matters that Braveheart mentions would be part of the survey also.

Then there is the question of moving their headquarters if they move the playing venue. Their current setup is comfortable—they have their offices there and their training ground is within walking distance.

Having HQ and training in one place and playing in another on the other side of (a big) town, is not ideal.

Relocation of everything is expensive but if that can be recouped by savings in future ground hire and office rent, plus a rise in gate revenue, it is neither here nor there (literally). :)

And the question of whether present and future players will be influenced positively or negatively by the shift in the headquarters is another particular in the mix.

There's more to it than meets the eye at first glance.

T

Train Without a Station

Even anybody supportive of the move would agree I think that yes, in the short term there would likely be a membership decline due to the lag in take up of memberships by new members. But if it was the best long term strategy for maximising attendance and memberships and minimising costs, providing they could afford the short term loss (which they likely cannot right now), it would be the best option.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think the Waratahs, as an organisation, should take a leaf out of the Reds' book and capitalise on the Premiership (we're still Premiers right? We are? Oh FUCK YES!).

The extra capital and popularity can help us go to the table with partners and have a bit more say in how things are run (e.g. the staffing issues earlier in the year). It isn't going to give us the power to tell them how the stadium upgrade happens though. Wish they'd paint that concrete white and put some new lights in. The concourse is dark as fuck after full time.

In any case, next year I expect the Waratahs to be carefully monitoring crowd numbers, and their marketing budget. If the faithful aren't turning up to the SFS in serious numbers, why would they stay there?

The crowds have to be the reason to stay. Unless the SFS is pulling upwards of 30K regularly, you reach a fork in the road where you have to ask what gains there are for sub-20k even for Aussie derbies.

The big problem is you can't judge the numbers that a Saffer crowd will pull at ANZ until you actually do it. Maybe SFS then becomes the exception: Aussie and Kiwi games go to ANZ, Saffer games at a smaller ground.

There is also the administrative side to look at as well - offices in Moore Park become slightly inconvenient at that point.

If Homebush could get its shit together with a decent training pitch on site, there is enough corporate space to run the franchise there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's hard to judge the differences in crowd numbers between the stadiums when you only have your premier games at ANZ stadium.

Maybe next year we should play the Brumbies or Reds at Allianz and move one of the NZ teams to Homebush.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
A few things to note.

The Waratahs have sent an end of season survey out to all members and a fair bit of it deals with what members think of both SFS and Homebush, good and bad. Whilst the final was great, I still hate Homebush.

Apart from the recent final, the Waratahs have never drawn a crowd at Homebush that comes close to being a sell-out at SFS. As Homebush is a bigger venue, Waratah members were allowed to buy extra tickets on top of their usual allocation. When you take this into account, plus Homebush members and corporates I'd be interested to know how many of the 60k crowd were actually non-member general public theatre goers who will only return at next years final.

Status
Not open for further replies.