• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I wasn't talking about tries in which he was done for pace I was actually talking about in general play (BTW - I'll take Braveheart's agreement: he's a hard man to convince) - I had a keen eye on him because I don't understand the idea of signing these blokes who are completely unknown quantities in rugby - it may be that they come so cheap it doesn't matter.
Kellaway is an immeasurably better prospect and is probably a better player right now.

Who are you talking about there? Taqele?

Because he grew up playing rugby in Fiji, a couple years as a pro NRL unit doesn't coat him in pustules, it gives him pro core fitness that can be built on, that is partly the reason he got playing time this season, he was physically ready

Naiyaravoro was born in Suva. He attended Suva Grammar School and during his younger days was interested in playing rugby union and watching Super 12 and his favourite player was Lote Tuqiri.[1] He played rugby union all through his school days in Fiji and made the national Under 16s team playing both as a winger and flanker. He was spotted by a NZ scout during the secondary schools rugby championship in Fiji.[2]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taqele_Naiyaravoro

He attributed the blistering speed that should amaze Waratahs fans when he gets his chance to play to "nature" and "school".
''I ran for the track team at school but I think it is just natural,'' he said. ''I was sent to Suva from Yasawa to go to school but I found I loved playing rugby union and running the 100 and 4x100-metre relay."

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Who are you talking about there? Taqele?

Because he grew up playing rugby in Fiji, a couple years as a pro NRL unit doesn't coat him in pustules, it gives him pro core fitness that can be built on, that is partly the reason he got playing time this season, he was physically ready
Don't see how that makes him a known quantity.
He was a kid when he last played it and it shows.
I smell a love affair with size for its own sake in positions where size is not the sole (or even a major) determinant of quality.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I smell a love affair with size for its own sake in positions where size is not the sole (or even a major) determinant of quality.

Nah, I see a love affair with power and aggression, one of the biggest issues in pro rugby is having units who can bend the line off static ball (see the current Wobs) and making dominant, turn over creating tackles.

We need the mix of subtlety and power and aggression.

Foley & Beale can provide the extra space, but we need the units who can offer something different

Look at Cheik's quote on the Warriers unit
"He's aggressive and he's a hard worker," Cheika said. "Kane was a hard worker and that can be hard to find among big men, ones who are prepared to work really hard, but I like what I see there."
Look at nearly every mid game quote from him, it was nearly always "we aren't aggressive enough" was his mantra
He bought in Pot's for his aggression and attitude, I think he is looking at more units that offer that to get the mix right.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
You what really gets me going? Bloody Waratahs making themselves so god damn likable. Look at that guy supporting GAGR and all. Why does he have to be so nice!
BxINdawCEAAiW8T.jpg:small

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
He's absolutely on fire so far against the Stars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
update, please?
how did his overall game appear?
Pretty quiet second half. Didn't notice him except one time when Dargaville put a good hit on him. Mackenzie the penrith winger on the other hand is lightning quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
McKenzie should have a contract. Fuck that guy is quick.

I think it depends on how Taqele works in pre season, he needs to lose the puppy fat and learn to work harder off the ball.

I think the coaching trio already have their plans laid to make him a weapon. Fucking hell have him looming up around Beale and Foley off set piece, with Folau tracking a line as well, and opposition backs will be browning le trou!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
2015 Draw:

R1: Sunday 15 Feb - Allianz v Force
R2: Friday 20 Feb - AAMI v Rebels
R3: Bye
R4: Saturday 7 Mar - Suncorp v Reds
R5: Saturday 14 Mar - Dunedin v Highlanders
R6: Sunday 22 Mar - Allianz v Brumbies
R7: Saturday 28 Mar - Allianz v Blues
R8: Bye
R9: Saturday 11 Apr - Allianz v Stormers
R10: Saturday 18 Apr - Wellington v Hurricanes
R11: Saturday 25 Apr - ANZ v Rebels
R12: Friday 1 May - Canberra v Brumbies
R13: Saturday 9 May - Perth v Force
R14: Saturday 16 May - Allianz v Sharks
R15: Saturday 23 May - ANZ v Crusaders
R16: Saturday 30 May - Jo'burg v Lions
R17: Saturday 6 June - Bloemfontein v Cheetahs
R18: Saturday 13 June - Allianz v Reds

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Official or draft?

Not great byes, long stretch at the back especially with no June break too. Will be tough. Will have to come out of the blocks firing.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
2015 Draw:
R6: Sunday 22 Mar - Allianz v Brumbies
R15: Saturday 23 May - ANZ v Crusaders
R18: Saturday 13 June - ANZ Allianz v Reds

Great to see the Brumbies and Reds matches back at the SFS in 2015, especially the Brumbies on a Sunday arvo before daylight savings ends.

The Crusaders game out at Homebush should also be a marquee game too.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Cheers Braveheart.

It is a good set of home games and it would be very disappointing if there isn't a marked increase in 2015 crowd numbers after the 2014 title win.

A few punters bemoan having the Brumbies and Reds matches out at Homebush. So now it's time to put up or shut up.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Interesting there isn't a single Friday night home game.

Friday night in Canberra is annoying. Means I'll have to take at least the afternoon off work if I want to attend. The whole day if I want to really enjoy the Wig and Pen.

Thanks SANZAR for giving the Tahs an away game when I'm getting married and making it Friday night so I can still watch it!

Status
Not open for further replies.