• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Thanks Badger. Fixed it in my post.

I like the draw.

Hopefully Rebels at ANZ on ANZAC Day draws a decent crowd. Could get bigger overall crowds having Brumbies and Reds at Allianz.

I like the draw too.
I assume that the Waratahs have had some input into the timing and location of their home matches. If so, well done.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Friday night in Canberra is annoying. Means I'll have to take at least the afternoon off work if I want to attend. The whole day if I want to really enjoy the Wig and Pen.

Just be warned that the Wig & Pen won't be where it was. They've just closed down at the current location and are in the process of moving to their new digs.

And if you like the beers at the Wig, you should probably try BentSpoke, the former head brewer's new pub.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just be warned that the Wig & Pen won't be where it was. They've just closed down at the current location and are in the process of moving to their new digs.

And if you like the beers at the Wig, you should probably try BentSpoke, the former head brewer's new pub.

Thanks! I have no allegiance to the Wig and Pen. Just to good beer. Will go wherever that is being sold!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Has anyone checked for conflicts in Moore Park with Mardi Gras, T20 Big Bash, Potential Swans home games (Cross Country Volley Ball draw probs won't be out for a while yet), Easter, ANZAC Day and the like?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Has anyone checked for conflicts in Moore Park with Mardi Gras, T20 Big Bash, Potential Swans home games (Cross Country Volley Ball draw probs won't be out for a while yet), Easter, ANZAC Day and the like?

Mardi Gras will either be when we have the bye in round 3 or away against the Reds in round 4.

There are no conflicts with the cricket world cup.

We are playing on ANZAC Day at ANZ against the Rebels. We have a bye on the Easter weekend.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pretty good draw then. Fingers crossed for some decent weather.

No reason not to front up for the Tah's home games.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^
It's not great is it?

I expect the Tahs will have a strategy for it. They should start rotating early in the sequence so they are not forced into it in the last few rounds.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
The players who will certainly need a maintenance plan for this part of the season will be TPN and Palu but thankfully we have decent hookers and hopefully Gray and Holloway will step up and carry on their NRC form to help Palu out.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^
Agree though Latu didn't set the world on fire last season - but I'm forgetting that he is very young. Third string Roach is a workhorse but, like Latu, has to improve his throwing.

Gray had an unfortunate start to the 2014 season with his injury else he may have got more games. But he and Holloway should get more game time.

I wish we had more reserve locks of the same quality of those two, who play 8 or 6.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I've love to see Dave Beat's list of the Top 50 Manly Marlins players who should be playing Super Rugby. ;)

BH - couldnt give you one sorry.
Rebels, Brumbies, Force won't release.
Being fair though from the Shute lock / 6 / 8 as Lee asked who would you suggest - my top 3 in order; Hollaway / Barry / Gower.
Since you asked I would have thought;
Porecki is being watched.
Bergelin has caused a glance.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
His time on the sideline this year was going hard in the tackle and momentum from the ball carrier made it ugly.

His hardness would prove valuable.

He's been banned at least 3 times for punching before. One was absolute dog shot too.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
I said similar in the wallabies post, Bear with me.
Skelton is not a lock by definition: no hope in a lineout, not so great scrum but he is absolutely devastating in open play. It would be worth a crack at No.8 as he fits the bill perfectly:strong running option, bone crunching tackler, perilous cleanouts etc. Palu won't last forever and for Skelton, the best is yet to come...

As for Hooker, Hugh Roach is coming through very well for the Rams, hopefully he'll get some game time next season. Jed Holloway looks like good cover at 6 and 7. I'd like to see Michael Ala'alatoa get a few more games in at prop after his debut against the Reds

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I said similar in the wallabies post, Bear with me.
Skelton is not a lock by definition: no hope in a lineout, not so great scrum but he is absolutely devastating in open play. It would be worth a crack at No.8 as he fits the bill perfectly:strong running option, bone crunching tackler, perilous cleanouts etc. Palu won't last forever and for Skelton, the best is yet to come.

I said it when he emerged.
He is just too big to be any use.
He does not have the work rate to play 8: He would need to lose 20 kgs.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I said it when he emerged.
He is just too big to be any use.
He does not have the work rate to play 8: He would need to lose 20 kgs.

I'm sorry what? Skelton is 'too big to be any use'?

I've seen plenty of rubbish talked on this forum but I think this takes the cake.

Even the most cursory glance at the 3rd French test would render your observation laughable.

In a country crying out for big angry bastards like Skelton I am amazed that anyone would possess this view. Especially a Tahs fan who saw the central role he played in or season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm still not sure why you'd try and reinvent Skelton as a number 8 because he's not a top lineout option.

He then becomes a number 8 who's not good in the lineout but also doesn't have the pace or acceleration nor engine of a number 8.

The guy is over 2m and weighs somewhere between 135 and 140kg. Why not just work on improving his skills as a lock, particularly those that are already his strengths? He is literally the biggest player ever to play for the Wallabies and he is very skillful to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.