• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I don't think he'll be re-signed given he hasn't made a 23 squad in 2 years. Strange because he was one of Cheika's signings - the first one he made IIRC.

Agreed although I don't know what our 5/8 options will be next year though. If not Volavola. Will only have foley, Horowitz (I'm assuming his still contracted) and Beale. Lance is gone I feel we need another 5/8 second stringer in the squad

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
^^^ Has Horwitz made the 23? He's another Cheika signing, on contract for the last two years, and I'm pretty sure that he has just managed a couple of NSW Country Eagles games in the NRC.

Horwitz hasn't played Super Rugby. He broke his thumb at the end of that World 7s tournament last season which meant he was injured for most of the NRC.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Agreed although I don't know what our 5/8 options will be next year though. If not Volavola. Will only have foley, Horowitz (I'm assuming his still contracted) and Beale. Lance is gone I feel we need another 5/8 second stringer in the squad
Have to think Foley would be a good chance of missing some games too with no off season.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
One of Cheika's biggest weaknesses is his lack of using his full squad (worth noting for the RWC as well, some of the dirt trackers are only going to be holding tackling bags)

At some stage these units need to be blooded, just look at the Kiwi and Bok sides and the way they rotate and trust their squads.

I like the way the Kiwis do it and start them, trust them, but give the regulars the bench to finish the game

If Horwitz is the heir apparent, he should be given some time. The same goes for a lot of them.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
It would be a shame if Volavola missed out considering his form for the Rams last year. Chieka does need to blood young Props especially since both of our starters aren't going to last much longer and our bench isn't as flash either... Tala Gray and Jed Holloway certainly need game time as well considering the loss of Palu and Potgieter. Any news of new recruits coming in?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
he
One of Cheika's biggest weaknesses is his lack of using his full squad (worth noting for the RWC as well, some of the dirt trackers are only going to be holding tackling bags)

At some stage these units need to be blooded, just look at the Kiwi and Bok sides and the way they rotate and trust their squads.

I like the way the Kiwis do it and start them, trust them, but give the regulars the bench to finish the game

If Horwitz is the heir apparent, he should be given some time. The same goes for a lot of them.
Cheika's biggest weakness is his squad depth.
Lance,Volovola & Horwitz offer nothing at Super level IMO.thats a lot of passengers to carry in a limited squad.
Not much point blooding them if you know they aren't up to it.
I will be surprised if Horwitz is re signed,given the refusal to use him thus far.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon Matt Sandell will get a contract next year at THP in place of Sekope Kepu. I tend to think we'll have Robbo and Ryan as our starting props next year though.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Maybe someone could clarify this but from what I understand if a player is eligible for Aus when they sign they do not take up a marquee spot later. No Super team or even the ARU are allowed to stop someone from national representation within the Int window. So if say the Tahs already had a marquee and volavola represented Fiji the Tahs would not be able to tear up his contract. Perhaps the player has to declare for Australia but that is just verbal affirmation isn't it? It doesn't actually stop him.

An example is Byrnes and Aho(?) from the Rebels who went and represented Russia and Tonga whilst contracted as eligible Australians. I think their inclusion brought Rebels over their marquee limit which had reduced from 10 to 8.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It certainly doesn't result in their contract being terminated. It does come into play when they go to sign a new contract.

I don't think Volavola is currently contracted beyond this year.

If Volavola wanted to both stay in Australia and play for Fiji then he should re-sign for a couple of years with the Tahs before the RWC squads are picked and then nominate for Fiji.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Yes and I guess the ARU would want some verbal assurance from Volavola that he won't play for Fiji before approving his contract.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Would certainly be a condition of your contract, when signing, that you are eligible for the Wallabies OR you're registered as a marquee player

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I think people are forgetting how young Horwitz still is him and Volavola are also playing behind the Wallaby 5/8 who didn't debut until he was 22 by the looks of it in Super Rugby.

Lance showed some promising sounds in a few of his games for the Reds and Waratahs over the years to indicate he could be competent at Super Rugby level.

I actually think what Chieka has done is quite smart he realised he had some good stock in his starting squad and has focused on tying up these blokes quite young i.e Kellaway, Horwitz, Stewart, Dempsey etc.

Horwitz earlier in the season definetly showed signs in club rugby of being more physically prepared than he previously was whilst Volavola is maybe let down by his defence but can look very good with ball in hand.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I think people are forgetting how young Horwitz still is him and Volavola are also playing behind the Wallaby 5/8 who didn't debut until he was 22 by the looks of it in Super Rugby.

Lance showed some promising sounds in a few of his games for the Reds and Waratahs over the years to indicate he could be competent at Super Rugby level.

I actually think what Chieka has done is quite smart he realised he had some good stock in his starting squad and has focused on tying up these blokes quite young i.e Kellaway, Horwitz, Stewart, Dempsey etc.

Horwitz earlier in the season definetly showed signs in club rugby of being more physically prepared than he previously was whilst Volavola is maybe let down by his defence but can look very good with ball in hand.

Problem is for next year that Horowitz is untested and I don't think he is quite up to super level yet, Volavola is 25 next year, is potentially gone and if he isn't I think would struggle to be starting fly half if foley went down injured (he is a confidence player and doesn't do so well being thrown in the deep end) and lance has already signed elsewhere. We need a serviceable second string 5/8 that has experience and can slot in for injury and be a genuine bench option instead of a "experience" substitute in the last 10 mins of a own game.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
I'll say this about Volavola. He has shown himself capable of some extraordinary match-winning kicks in the Shute Shield. He still can't tackle at all though.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Let's start putting together a known squad for 2016. These players are definitely leaving:

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Betham
Kepu
Lance
McKibbin
Naiyaravoro
Palu
Potgeiter

Not sure of the future of these players at Tah Central:

Chapman
Horwitz
McCutcheon
Tilse
Volavola

Looking like a stiff challenge Gibson's taken on.

T

TOCC

It certainly doesn't result in their contract being terminated. It does come into play when they go to sign a new contract.

I don't think Volavola is currently contracted beyond this year.

If Volavola wanted to both stay in Australia and play for Fiji then he should re-sign for a couple of years with the Tahs before the RWC squads are picked and then nominate for Fiji.

Why wouldn't it stop their contract been terminated?
If it's a condition of your contract that you need to be eligible for the Wallabies, which is what it sounds like it is, then the contract becomes null and void when that players runs out for another country, unless there were some prearranged clause which would see that player assume foreign marquee position..

They can't prevent the player from representing another country for obvious reasons, but they can stipulate that the player needs to be eligible for Australia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.