• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I rate him. The u20s in 2013 and 2014 had a very good set piece when he came on board. This year we just didn't have the cattle. Same as Stars.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)

WTF?? Another Tamati Ellison? We need to develop players who can play for Australia, he's a waste of time and money.

Look another young ITM's winger who can play for Australia in the future. A former AB is useless for Aussie rugby.

I prefer this spot for Ginger Kellaway. Angus Ta'avao is a good buy because he could play for Australia but Guildford is another Tamati Ellison.

I'm not against the ITM's players, they are really good. But if we buy raw materials from there, we must buy those who can help grow our rugby like Henry Speight. If they can't play for our national team, it's a waste of time and money

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
WTF?? Another Tamati Ellison? We need to develop players who can play for Australia, he's a waste of time and money.

Look another young ITM's winger who can play for Australia in the future. A former AB is useless for Aussie rugby.

I prefer this spot for Ginger Kellaway. Angus Ta'avao is a good buy because he could play for Australia but Guildford is another Tamati Ellison.

I'm not against the ITM's players, they are really good. But if we buy raw materials from there, we must buy those who can help grow our rugby like Henry Speight. If they can't play for our national team, it's a waste of time and money

Every team has space for a marquee player, to increase their performance and also add value to the squad. Guildford wouldn't be there as a replacment for Kellaway, any more than Dan Braid was a replacement for Liam Gill. If anything, Braid improved Gill's performance.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Every team has space for a marquee player, to increase their performance and also add value to the squad. Guildford wouldn't be there as a replacment for Kellaway, any more than Dan Braid was a replacement for Liam Gill. If anything, Braid improved Gill's performance.

I know but I prefer a foreign player who could play for Australia in the future. We must find the new Henry Speight, there must be several in the ITM. If you offer long-term contract and the opportunity to play at Super Rugby level you can find the new Speight, he wasn't a priority for Waikato.

T

TOCC

I know but I prefer a foreign player who could play for Australia in the future. We must find the new Henry Speight, there must be several in the ITM. If you offer long-term contract and the opportunity to play at Super Rugby level you can find the new Speight, he wasn't a priority for Waikato.

Development players and marquee players aren't the same... Waratahs could recruit Dagg as well as a development player who will become eligible for the Wallabies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
This is a really strange choice, I assume he is cheap and thus worth the punt

But the potential downside to the playing group?

Upside? "If" his head is right, he is a bloody good winger with a "Habana-like" workrate off the ball

T

TOCC

My reservation is that he struggled in the Crusaders system close to his family, a team which features strong leadership and a tight playing group, not to mention it's based in a city which lacks the weekend temptation's that Sydney offer.

Yet if he pays off he could be a great addition, would do well running lines off KB (Kurtley Beale) or looking for the offload from izzy.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
zacfb_zpsowqyjflk.png

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
My reservation is that he struggled in the Crusaders system close to his family, a team which features strong leadership and a tight playing group, not to mention it's based in a city which lacks the weekend temptation's that Sydney offer.

Yet if he pays off he could be a great addition, would do well running lines off KB (Kurtley Beale) or looking for the offload from izzy.

I wonder if Daryl Gibson has any personal connection with him that might play a positive part? As I said earlier, I don't fault his ability, just his stability.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
This will end in tears

Troubled former All Blacks wing Zac Guildford has quit French club Clermont Auvergne, citing personal reasons.
He leaves halfway through a two-year deal and will return to New Zealand.
Guildford announced his departure via Twitter.
"Unfortunately couldn't return to my best rugby at Clermont and thought it was time to move on and be closer to family thank you for asm fans [sic]," Guildford wrote.
Some five hours later Guildford followed up with an optimistic message.
"Another opportunity for me to become fitter and mentally stronger. No point in thinking what could of been time to look to the future."
But the club was more revealing about the 26-year-old's problems.
"Faced with personal problems, Zac could not stand the distance between here and New Zealand and he expressed his wish to join relatives," the club said on their website.
"Despite the help of the entire team and the fact that we have accompanied him throughout the year, it was not enough.

"http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...rmont-Auvergne-as-problems-continue-in-France

T

Train Without a Station

And his previous coaches didn't know him well enough?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Apparently all his off-the-rails behaviour was after a death in the family (his Dad?)

We'll see I guess.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't mind seeing Guildford being brought in. The Waratahs will be sorely lacking in experienced backline players next year.

Just as long as they link him with Penrith or Parramatta in the Shute Shield.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I rate him. The u20s in 2013 and 2014 had a very good set piece when he came on board. This year we just didn't have the cattle. Same as Stars.

The Sydney stars squad was always going to struggle with the cattle that he was dealt with in short times. The U20's can be a similar exercise.

He helped build a sustained scrummaging culture at Souths.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Rumours of Reece Hodge to the Brumbies. Not exactly sure why the Tahs would not try secure him not simply for his field play but his goal kicking is something Australian Rugby lacks. The bloke can kick goals from 60 m and can also play the game in a professional environment could really come on.

Let's hope someone gets the house in order.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Rumours of Reece Hodge to the Brumbies. Not exactly sure why the Tahs would not try secure him not simply for his field play but his goal kicking is something Australian Rugby lacks. The bloke can kick goals from 60 m and can also play the game in a professional environment could really come on.

Let's hope someone gets the house in order.

Agreed, he's had an awesome year and I'm told he makes an even better 10.

Horwitz has been outplayed two weeks back to back.

Reece can play.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Is Reece the guy who had a video on instagram where he slotted one over from 70-odd meters? With a huge wind on his back but still

Status
Not open for further replies.