• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
President more the figurehead who can do some of the dignitary duties. Chairman there for their governances abilities more than anything.

In QLD the President acts as a conduit between the voting members and the board as well.

While Figureheads and Dignitaries may not draw a salary or honorarium, most love to enjoy hospitality arranged by sycophants keen to be seen by said Figurehead and Dignitary.

Every bottle of Hill of Grace enjoyed by Figurehead, Dignitary and Sycophant is a days BBQ profits for a junior Village club. It adds up.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I imagine the ARU felt it necessary to have both a President (a figurehead who makes public speeches and presents trophies) and a Chairman (the yakka-man who does the meetings and admin stuff) as there could always be one each from New South Wales and Queensland. Not that I'm justifying this duplication.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This was said about the position of President in the Arbib Report.

The President and Vice-President are important ceremonial roles. They are eminent members of the Rugby fraternity and they act as ambassadors for ARU and all aspects of Australian Rugby. They also reduce some of the burden on the CEO and Chair in terms of attending the numerous events, domestically and internationally, that require a senior representative of ARU.

Currently, the President is elected for a maximum of two, two-year terms and his or her primary formal role, in a governance sense, lies in chairing the AGM. The President is also entitled to receive notice of and attend meetings of Directors. In my view, it is not ideal to have the President undertake these two roles.

The Presidency is a ceremonial role, above the politics of Rugby. By Chairing the AGM there is the real, albeit unlikely, potential for the President to have to rule on matters that are divisive or controversial. In the case of a tied vote, the Chair of the AGM also has the casting vote. This situation is best avoided.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
I think that may have expired, TOCC.

I thought it ran to 2031? After a bit of digging:

http://www.treasury.nsw.gov.au/__da...ralia_updated_contracts_summary_June_2002.pdf

The link is to the contract with ANZ stadium (not certain if it's the most current). Page 24 runs through the restrictions on other stadiums as part of the "Miscellaneous general provisions of the Project Agreement", while on page 20, under "Termination of the Project Agreement", the document says the agreement will end in January 2031.

There might be some other loophole, or that specific exclusivity deal might roll back, but it seems like no material changes can be made to the SFS/new stadium built until 2031... At least not with public money.

(NB: page numbers are of the PDF, not the document)

T

TOCC

Yes there would be some compensation for ANZ Stadium if SFS were to expand, I suppose this 'payout' could come in the form of a capital injection to upgrade ANZ Stadium.. Which based off the article is seemingly what the NSW Govt intends to do..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Upgrading ANZ is a waste of time. It needs to be rebuilt into a proper rectangular stadium (with steeper stands) or left to slowly die and eventually replaced with some other development.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Upgrading ANZ is a waste of time. It needs to be rebuilt into a proper rectangular stadium (with steeper stands) or left to slowly die and eventually replaced with some other development.

So you throw away something like A$1.000 million?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I just read that article, one little tidbit at the end is a bit worrying, in that the NRL could be given management rights to the SFS as part off the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It also says it won't happen due to the Tahs, Wallabies and Sydney FC playing there.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Considering the NSW Government have just given the ARU a sizeable grant to relocate to Moore Park I would say there is a 0% chance of them handing the place over to the NRL.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
After wading through this hole thread I have one thing to say about the overall organisation of NSW rugby.
WHAT a CLUSTER F_____K
And as for the stadium situation up grade the Alliance (SFS I still think it should have kept the name that's what is built for). Keep it at 50k capacity put a roof on it. Anything bigger won't get filled enough. Build the new (secret car parks).
Then ANZ can be used for the really big games Test's against the NZ, Lions and the other codes big games what ever they are.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
After wading through this hole thread I have one thing to say about the overall organisation of NSW rugby.
WHAT a CLUSTER F_____K
And as for the stadium situation up grade the Alliance (SFS I still think it should have kept the name that's what is built for). Keep it at 50k capacity put a roof on it. Anything bigger won't get filled enough. Build the new (secret car parks).
Then ANZ can be used for the really big games Test's against the NZ, Lions and the other codes big games what ever they are.

I think the SFS capacity is somewhere below 50K now (I seem to recall 43K being the number) but if it was increased to 50K at the same time as they put a roof over the top it would be an absolutely awesome venue for football, rugby and league.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We've got Guildford.. ughhh

THE signings of Zac Guildford and Matt Carraro by NSW have thwarted a stunning code switch by Parramatta Eels fullback Reece Robinson.
We can reveal that Robinson was in the Waratahs’ sights, and he held meetings with NSW coach Daryl Gibson, but Gibson has managed to convince former All Black Guildford to honour his deal with the Sydney club, while also getting utility Carraro to re-sign.
That left no room for Robinson, who played schoolboy rugby and has been intrigued by a switch to union for a couple of years.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
You can see where Gibson is coming from with signing Guildford - with the departures of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Betham, Naiyaravoro next year.

But surely there are some seasoned, Australian qualified wingers hanging around in the Shute Shield? It just seems like a waste of a marquee spot

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
It all depends on how much it cost I think. The Tahs probably weren't going to be able to splash out on a top international prospect, so if you can get Guildford for a song, it seems like a good deal. Here's to hoping he stays out of trouble.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Considering Henry Clunies-Ross dislocated his ankle in the NRC last night, Guildford may actually be good cover for one wing. Gibson seems to know him well enough to keep him on a leash.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Guildford's signing doesn't help us develop the pool of Australian wingers. Surely there are a few promising young bucks worth looking at. Are both Crawford and Kingston committed to the Rebels next year?

T

Train Without a Station

I can only assume you were also against the Potgeiter recruitment?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Guildford's signing doesn't help us develop the pool of Australian wingers. Surely there are a few promising young bucks worth looking at. Are both Crawford and Kingston committed to the Rebels next year?
They have both been tried by the Tahs and judged not up to it.
I'd be happy to punt on some young guns instead of Guildford,but signing either of those two is just aspiring to mediocrity.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)

Kingston is off contract, Crawford is signed for another season.

Based on his performances for the stars so far after coming back from some fairly tough injuries, you could do worse than bringing him in as a 13/wing/fullback cover, given you've lost 2dads, Betham, and too many syllables.

Status
Not open for further replies.