• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
The Tahs might not actually lose Palu. That is he might return between seasons honeybadger style.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Jim Stewart is a must for a contract next year. He's excellent.

I think Dempsey will ultimately be more of a 7 than a 6 at Super Rugby level. He's a bit of a Pat McCutcheon type though in that he can play several positions in the backrow. That said, I haven't seen a huge amount of him.

Agree.
Stewart is a must.
Dempsey to 7 if at all. He can sniff a try however may not have the chassis for anywhere other than 7 methinks.
Holloway to 6 or 8 - he is a talent and is definitely Super 15 standard IMO.
Think there are others in the SS that might come through.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Just realized that quote is not actually "from the horse's mouth. Try this one: "“He has been a massive influence on the team,” Cheika said. “The Waratahs will be doing their damnedest to get him back for a run regardless here in Australia.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

i fail to see how the Waratahs could fit McCalman under the salary cap, and if they can its more evidence that the salary cap concept is broken.. Retaining existing players who have bought into the 'culture of the club' is one thing, but recruiting one of the few stars from another province is another thing again.

Surely McCalman would be one of the highest earners at the Force, and yes whilst Palu leaving would leave a big chunk of money you would have to think blokes like Skelton on upgraded contracts would be taking some of that freed up cash.

I just think its a disappointing proposition for the Force, they lack many big name players and players that the fans can identify with, McCalman is one of those and he may potentially be leaving.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
As a Tahs fan I'd rather not see him make the move. I actually don't think he fits with our style of play and lacks impact. I'd rather see Gray and/or Holloway given an opportunity first as I think there are much bigger upsides to both of those boys than McCalman.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm in favour of the Tahs going after McCalman. He's a worker, he's great at breaking the advantage line and he's a solid lineout option. I reckon since the Tahs are losing Palu, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Kepu this year, the salary cap shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
i fail to see how the Waratahs could fit McCalman under the salary cap, and if they can its more evidence that the salary cap concept is broken..

We're losing Palu, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Kepu plus probably Foley for some or all of the season.

There should be plenty of room in the Super Rugby salary cap.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As a Tahs fan I'd rather not see him make the move. I actually don't think he fits with our style of play and lacks impact. I'd rather see Gray and/or Holloway given an opportunity first as I think there are much bigger upsides to both of those boys than McCalman.

I agree that I want to give Gray and Holloway more opportunity next season but I think McCalman provides massive impact at Super Rugby level.

He was the best Aussie 8 last season and is the best so far this season.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Article from Spiros Zavosopolous today about why Gibson needs to be coach. Go read it on Rugby heaven if you want, but I'm just going to point out one quote:

That relentless source of inside information, Greg Growden, suggests that Pat Howard, now with Cricket Australia, could be on a shortlist.

:D

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
God fucking spare me, can this useless waste of space contribute ANYTHING of note to the rugby stratosphere?

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Cheika should start teaching Naiyarovoro to scrum at THP, then all of our woes at the loss of Kepu are solved! ;) speediest prop in the world...

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
The Rams actually used Taqele like a number 8 quite often. Even when he was the open side winger he'd be making the one out from the ruck charges. He got injured doing it I think but he was an absolute menace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.