• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Tahs seem to treat wingers like underwear the last coupla years. But, it hasn't bitten them on the arse. Given both Betham and big Taqele are buggering off later this year would it be worthwhile investigating the possibility of Tom Kingston and/or Cam Crawford returning to Sydney next year? They seem to be on the outer in Melbourne, for various reasons.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Tahs seem to treat wingers like underwear the last coupla years. But, it hasn't bitten them on the arse. Given both Betham and big Taqele are buggering off later this year would it be worthwhile investigating the possibility of Tom Kingston and/or Cam Crawford returning to Sydney next year? They seem to be on the outer in Melbourne, for various reasons.

Cheik didn't seem to like either all that much. I think he prefers wingers to be big and fast. Personally I liked both of them and would have them both back next year but Mr Gibson may not agree. Kingston has been injured a lot, it would probably help to get him back to NSW where we seem to know how to toughen players up for Super Rugby.

Notwithstanding that, there are an absolute raft of good wingers coming through from the U-20's and picking the best ones will be a difficult job. Kellaway has got an inside track, but may end up at 13 or 15; but you could name 3 or 4 others with good credentials.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd be more inclined to bring Crawford back to Sydney than Kingston. He's signed with the Rebels for another year though.

It will be interesting to see whether Horne stays on the wing next year or plays 13.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Wouldn't want to miss out on Harry Jones and Andrew Kellaway. Both those guys have much more upside and could potentially be the Waratahs wingers next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Harry Jones might push for an EPS spot but I think Clunies-Ross will get first crack after training with the team this season.

Kellaway will definitely be part of the squad.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Not sure after watching him play on the TV. He looks a lot better than last year. Plus he fixes some of our kicking problems. Not sure if his defence has improved though.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
I see Pat Sio is playing for Eastwood.

I thought he had signed to go over to France? Has he come back early? Or is he yet to leave?

If he's here for next year he could be a good addition to cover the backrow.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Speaking as a reds fan Glad to see the back of him.

But. He seems to be a top guy and a good player.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's good that this has been sorted out sooner rather than later. Hopefully both Holloway and Gray will now be happy to stay knowing that two players that have been ahead of them for the last two years in their positions are leaving.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Massive test and opportunity for Gibson next season

The Tahs will be in transition with plenty of old heads moving on.

Getting the culture and attitude to stick will be crucial

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not sure after watching him play on the TV. He looks a lot better than last year. Plus he fixes some of our kicking problems. Not sure if his defence has improved though.

Jones (Im assuming thats what you were responding to) has torn a pec and had surgery - not sure where that will place him in EPS stakes

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Jones (Im assuming thats what you were responding to) has torn a pec and had surgery - not sure where that will place him in EPS stakes
I thought he was only meant to out for 8 weeks or so. He'll miss JRWC but might get a chance in the NRC.

Also with Pottgieter moving on which position will the Tahs most likely need to fill with a marquee player? THP looks obvious to me but good ones are paid a lot in Europe so they might find it hard to pick one up.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
With Dean Mumm returning, I can see Dennis reverting back to a 6/8 role

I can't see us being able to afford a marquee THP, we will be searching club, U20s and possible the other SH provincial comps for cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.