• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can I bring up an old question again?

What happened to Jim Stewart!?

Gibson mustn't rate him

He is playing for Sydney Uni.

It's a case of either picking him or Horwitz. Clearly at this point Horwitz has been favoured and has done pretty well.

With Beale injured, maybe he'll get another chance because Gibson could need another centre option on the bench (given Horwitz will now be the backup 10).

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
I assume Gibson rates Horwitz's passing game over Stewart's direct running and good defence.
That would be a good bet. If I remember correctly Gibson is on record as saying he likes ball distributors. Horowitz certainly got a lot of ball at first receiver last weekend. Not sure if Stewart has that type of game.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^
He doesn't - in fact Stewart told me that he wants to be considered to be a 13 as well as a 12, where he has been pigeon-holed as a crash-baller.

But he was in rehab for ages, and although he is playing club rugby as Braveheart states, he lost practically the whole pre-season.

Horwitz is doing OK but he has glaring deficiencies. His double pump passing he used at Scots pay no dividends in Super Rugby and only serves for his target to over-run the ball.

His kicking from hand is also wayward for somebody who is supposed to be the alternate flyhalf.

But he is an intelligent lad and is said to be coachable; let's see if he can put on more mature performances in the next few games.

The injuries to the Tahs during the year have appalled the Tahs faithful (and there are a few left) but at least it has given players like Roach, Horwitz, Kellaway and Robertson (when Ryan moved to LHP for Fat Cat) an opportunity that they might not have had this year.

Other teams have had more injuries but I bet they have seen many benefits to offset the effect of them.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
^^^^
Horwitz is doing OK but he has glaring deficiencies. His double pump passing he used at Scots pay no dividends in Super Rugby and only serves for his target to over-run the ball.

His kicking from hand is also wayward for somebody who is supposed to be the alternate flyhalf.

But he is an intelligent lad and is said to be coachable; let's see if he can put on more mature performances in the next few games.

The injuries to the Tahs during the year have appalled the Tahs faithful (and there are a few left) but at least it has given players like Roach, Horwitz, Kellaway and Robertson (when Ryan moved to LHP for Fat Cat) an opportunity that they might not have had this year..

Horwitzs improvement last year from the previous season (both in First Grade for the Wicks) was astonishing. He really improved. I suspect that trajectory will continue although he may take a while to get to the right level in Super Rugby. Also of note is his great combination with Andrew Kellaway - these 2 are almost telepathic the way they combine having done so since school.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I hope you are right and we see them playing at the same level, relatively, in Super Rugby as they did at school.

And better yet to have their other Scots' partner in crime, Jim Stewart, at that level, helping to cover the absence of Beale.

And Angus Crichton at no.8 chiming in …… wait a minute.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Interesting comment from Jed on the GR&G Podcast, he hasn't been invited to any Wobs camp so far

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Well I'm not saying I didn't expect exactly that to happen, but last night's game confirmed we're no chance of semis since we're completely incapable of winning in NZ

Status
Not open for further replies.