• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I thought he was only meant to out for 8 weeks or so. He'll miss JRWC but might get a chance in the NRC.

Never took all that much notice of the injury when sustained in the other code so I don't know how long they take but i thought they were long term injuries - just checked Gasnier on google and he was out for 6 months.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I can't see us being able to afford a marquee THP, we will be searching club, U20s and possible the other SH provincial comps for cover.

I think Paddy Ryan will be the first choice THP and Matt Sandell from the under 20s will get a contract.

We're certainly going to need Paddy and Mike Ala'alatoa to step up next year.

I tend to think Sandell is going to be an excellent player in the next few years. We absolutely need to hang onto him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Tilse must be on his last legs as well, he ain't getting used much and if Robbo goes down I wonder whether Kepu would be moved to LHP for a session

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tilse must be on his last legs as well, he ain't getting used much and if Robbo goes down I wonder whether Kepu would be moved to LHP for a session
Has already happened during at least one game this year - Fat Cat had to come off, Kepu swapped sides, Ryan on.

Paddy could be a lot better than he is, in my learned opinion. Had the right physical attributes but needs to keep believing in hard work.

The addition if Mumm to our second row will be a boon on terms of set piece, based on his experiences in the UK

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I was thinking the same thing AD when I saw that he was the one definitely in the 23 - unless JH was injured.

It was a nod and a wink to him about how well he is regarded, even if the talk about an imminent singing is bunk.

It will be interesting to see how Dempsey's career will proceed (something I often thought about when he was at Riverview) because he is of notter dimensions.

Mind you I had the same thoughts about Sean McMahon as a schoolboy player and he goes OK.

He's 21 now and has put on 10kgs since school. I see his future in Super Rugby player as a Gill-type of opensider, but one who can play 6.

The talk about a contract could be well-based because the inimitable Jack Pot is leaving as is Cliffy Palu, and although it is not like for like we all know that the Rubik Cube of the player stable has to be twisted and turned.

And with the salary cap how it is, the Tahs won't be looking for gilt-edged thoroughbreds.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Holloway did his hammy 5 mins into Randwick vs Souths, I think he was on a minutes restriction anyway so he wasn't "fit" for the Tahs game.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Now that we know both Betham and big Taqele are buggering off overseas what do the Tahs do about wingers next year? Would that make seven 11/14s who've departed the Tahs the last three years?

Mitchell
Turner
Kingston
Crawford
Alofa
Betham
Naiyaravoro

I realise Braveheart's assessed their value and came up with the conclusion wingers are worth diddly squat and can be discarded like underwear but, geez, it'd be nice to have a bit of stability out wide.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Kellaway and Jones are keepers though the later might not be ready by next year. 2016 back line could be:

Phipps
Foley
Horne
Stewart
Folau
Kellaway
Beale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I was thinking the same thing AD when I saw that he was the one definitely in the 23 - unless JH was injured.

It was a nod and a wink to him about how well he is regarded, even if the talk about an imminent singing is bunk.

It will be interesting to see how Dempsey's career will proceed (something I often thought about when he was at Riverview) because he is of notter dimensions.

Mind you I had the same thoughts about Sean McMahon as a schoolboy player and he goes OK.

He's 21 now and has put on 10kgs since school. I see his future in Super Rugby player as a Gill-type of opensider, but one who can play 6.

The talk about a contract could be well-based because the inimitable Jack Pot is leaving as is Cliffy Palu, and although it is not like for like we all know that the Rubik Cube of the player stable has to be twisted and turned.

And with the salary cap how it is, the Tahs won't be looking for gilt-edged thoroughbreds.

There was some rumour doing the rounds that Cutch might not be renewed for next season. Has anyone seen anything to see how long his last contract was for? With as you said Cliffy going and Jack Pot it could signal a massive changing of the guard in the back row.

I see Dempsey as a 7 ideally but with Hooper going to be around for the next 4 years at least (you would think) he is going to have to obviously look at spending a fair chunk of his time at 6.

Back row/Second Row options if the above plays out :

Dennis 4/5/6
Chapman 4/5/6
Gray 6/8
Hoiles 6/8
Holloway 4/5/6/8
Hooper 7
Lousi 4/5
Skelton 4/5
Dempsey 6/7

Theoretically Dempsey replaces Cutch. If somehow the Tahs were able to source a Super Rugby standard second rower they could solve most of the problems in that it allows Dennis to go back to 6.

Gray could be our man in my opinion if they don't look to bring in a number 8 I believe he would be the best ball runner out of Hoiles/Holloway/Gray.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm not so sure. We'll have to see. I think he is being railroaded by a few people.

http://m.foxsports.com.au/rugby/sup...ver-glasgow-deal/story-e6frf4t3-1227360455753

My concern is if it plays out the way you are suggesting, it may cut both ways when it comes to getting potential O/S based Wallabies released, regardless of Reg 9, caps or time served. It was what Giteau was eluding to about the conversation yet to be had with Toulon if he was selected for the Wallabies.

I wonder if any players have included an iron clad clause in their O/S contract about returning to play for the Wallabies? We are only talking words on a contract and rules in a book aren't we, so do they really count?

This strays in to the realm of protecting your investment and that could extend to Foley for example. His primary contract is in Japan, and if the ARU has a reputation of meddling with contracts would you let him go back to an Aussie team in the off season? I am still curious to see how the insurance arrangements are going to work if he is supposed to play for the Tah's. Brumbies experienced this issue not long ago that prevented players being able to play due to insurance issues.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
My concern is if it plays out the way you are suggesting, it may cut both ways when it comes to getting potential O/S based Wallabies released, regardless of Reg 9, caps or time served. It was what Giteau was eluding to about the conversation yet to be had with Toulon if he was selected for the Wallabies.

I wonder if any players have included an iron clad clause in their O/S contract about returning to play for the Wallabies? We are only talking words on a contract and rules in a book aren't we, so do they really count?

This strays in to the realm of protecting your investment and that could extend to Foley for example. His primary contract is in Japan, and if the ARU has a reputation of meddling with contracts would you let him go back to an Aussie team in the off season? I am still curious to see how the insurance arrangements are going to work if he is supposed to play for the Tah's. Brumbies experienced this issue not long ago that prevented players being able to play due to insurance issues.

I'm about to throw out a lot of wild speculation, so take it with a grain of salt. I think the concern about releasing players for international duty will largely be on a player by player basis. If a player wants to play for Australia, their club won't be able to stop them. On the other hand, if the club very strongly intimates their next contract won't be as good if they leave, the players may "opt not to make themselves available". If they can be trusted to do this, it may increase their contracting potential, but even if they signed something, I don't think it would hold up, so they could reneg at any time. (I'm speaking based on my understanding of how soccer works).

As for insurance, I would imagine with Foley, the ARU would have something sorted for that as part of their "flexible contract". That was one of the things that I assumed took them so long to figure out with the contract, and I would like to think the ARU aren't SO incompetent to have let that one slip through. My faith could very well be misplaced though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah, not really concerned about wing turnover

There always seems to be another young winger of islander heritage or a young 13/15 learning their pro trade

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Kellaway and Jones are keepers though the later might not be ready by next year. 2016 back line could be:

Phipps
Foley
Horne
Stewart
Folau
Kellaway
Beale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you guys please keep Folau at 15 - he's only just started kicking. I'd be inclined to move Horne to 13 and keep him there, it'll be a nice battle with Kuridrani for the wallabies 13 jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.