• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
On the issue of locks, while I agree with others we could use another one, I am not necessarily part of the majority opinion that Hanigan's position will be 6. I'm sure he will be fine there, but I though he was outstanding as a lock in the NRC, particularly in the set piece. The old saying, if you're good enough you're big enough may well apply.
Besides, he's about the same size as a young Brad Thorn, who wasn't all that bad.

Yeah, using recent examples he's not much smaller than young Itoje, who we can all agree is probably the 'highest ceiling' lock running around right now (in terms of potential).

No. Let's get back to rugby, a, it's much more fun.

I understand it would be difficult to moderate a reasonably large forum, but to be in my shoes feels pretty ridiculous when my charge has been upped from name-calling to being accused of consistently bad behaviour.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
On the issue of locks, while I agree with others we could use another one, I am not necessarily part of the majority opinion that Hanigan's position will be 6. I'm sure he will be fine there, but I though he was outstanding as a lock in the NRC, particularly in the set piece. The old saying, if you're good enough you're big enough may well apply.
Besides, he's about the same size as a young Brad Thorn, who wasn't all that bad.

I agree. He would be pretty well suited to lock at Super Rugby level.

I tend to think if he became a test player it would be at six though (similar to Fardy and Mumm being better 6s than 4s in tests).

Given the players he's up against, it could be easier to force his way into the side at lock than 6 as well.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I agree. He would be pretty well suited to lock at Super Rugby level.

I tend to think if he became a test player it would be at six though (similar to Fardy and Mumm being better 6s than 4s in tests).

Given the players he's up against, it could be easier to force his way into the side at lock than 6 as well.

Yeah he looks to be that mobile, athletic lock who is effective at lineout, so like Mumm a 4/6.

An area that Aus is lacking actually

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I actually met him on the weekend and he seems to have put on some size recently. He's still exceptionally young and he'll only fill out as he gets older.

I like the athletic lock idea. I think it's useful to have next to a big boppa a la Skelton or Coleman. It complements their impact with work rate, but players like Itoje or Thorn or Hanigan have more potential for impact than someone like Simmons purely because of the composition of their frame, rather than the size of it.

They are composed of more muscle and less puppy fat / length. This makes them more explosive and gives them more power in collisions.

I certainly don't think Aus rugby should shy away from Hanigan-esque locks.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeah he looks to be that mobile, athletic lock who is effective at lineout, so like Mumm a 4/6.

An area that Aus is lacking actually

Brett Harris in The Australian has an interesting theory that Skelton should be released from the hard yards enforcer role and play wider. Using his ball distribution skills could see him as rugby's Arthur Beetson.
Betson of course didn't have to jump in line outs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Brett Harris in The Australian has an interesting theory that Skelton should be released from the hard yards enforcer role and play wider. Using his ball distribution skills could see him as rugby's Arthur Beetson.
Betson of course didn't have to jump in line outs.

He is too slow off the mark for any work too wide.

I would prefer to see Skelton get some work with a decent NRL front row coach, he just simply can't receive static ball and be effective.

The premise of forwards hitting the ball on the burst seems to be lost to rugby at the moment.

A guy like Skelton at lumbering pace hitting hard is going to get forward momentum through the defensive line, a decent cleanout and you have front foot ball again or the Beetson like soft hands passing to a runner

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
He is too slow off the mark for any work too wide.

I would prefer to see Skelton get some work with a decent NRL front row coach, he just simply can't receive static ball and be effective.

The premise of forwards hitting the ball on the burst seems to be lost to rugby at the moment.

A guy like Skelton at lumbering pace hitting hard is going to get forward momentum through the defensive line, a decent cleanout and you have front foot ball again or the Beetson like soft hands passing to a runner

That's something that's always frustrated me both as a player and a fan of the game. Static ball. It's part of the rwason I made pick and drive a big part of my game as I found it more effective than catching tbe ball standing still and then having to generate go forward with the defence having all the momentum.

When I have had the ability to actually bring about change in the teams I have played in I have been big on coming from depth and having the half put the ball in front of the receiver. Really simple stuff and very effective.

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)

Need Hanigan was the best lock in Shute Shield last season and had a fantastic NRC too. Sam Figg stepped up at 6 too. I'd play Hanigan over Skelton in a starting Tahs lineup any day of the week

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
For those who are making the trek to Mudgee for the trial game v the Brumbies on Feb 4th, here's a cut from the local rugby club Facebook page.

Mudgee Rugby Club are excited to announce that they're hosting A NIGHT WITH THE NSW WARATAHS. Tickets go on sale Monday 5 December at www.trybooking.com/247157
For more information contact:-
Roslyn Lee 0439 150 375
Wendy Box 0409 150 043

15319086_10154193948828763_9147092113934681755_n.jpg

It's on Friday 3rd at 6pm, tickets are $80 per person and are limited. I'm told that the Q&A session will include Daryl Gibson and 4 'Wallatahs'.

Status
Not open for further replies.