• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What??? That seems a real shame for oz rugby considering his age. Good for him though I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Original announcement of this was incorrect.

He's actually been signed by the Rebels.

I find that strange: are the Tahs working to a salary cap that would compromise their ability to either offer him a contract or make it pay enough?
Or is the succession: Folau, Kellaway and so they figure they don't need another?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I find that strange: are the Tahs working to a salary cap that would compromise their ability to either offer him a contract or make it pay enough?
Or is the succession: Folau, Kellaway and so they figure they don't need another?

Or he saw Folau & Kellaway in front of him so went where he would get opportunities earlier

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I have just read that Henri Clunies Ross was moving to France to play for Lyon.
Wow. I don't think he has paid any footy since he broke his ankle (quite badly) in NRC 2.0 last year. Can't recall seeing his name in the Shute Shield team lists this season.

Good on him heading overseas to experience the world while young and mobile. We have a few good outside backs in the pathway, and then there is always the unwanted from Mungoland to call on. Not all of them are Tahu-esque.

Re: Jack Maddocks
Meh, he only played 3rd XV for his School so he can't be all that good.:)

Not every talented player is going to hang around warming the pine, or holding the tackling bags year in, year out at their "home" franchise when they can get time in the limelight elsewhere. Good on the young bloke. It is in the Wobs best interest to have as many talented athletes playing the highest level footy that they can.

Side note, I think Maddocks is U20 eligible next year, along with recent cross border signing Jack McGregor. Vic Rugby setting themselves up to repeat their victory over the Good Guys U20 next year.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Re: Jack Maddocks. Meh, he only played 3rd XV for his School so he can't be all that good.:)

So did Bill young and Luke Burgess. And we mustn't forget Phil Kearns's and NFJ's appearances in Newington's seconds. Making a school's First XV isn't the be-all and end-all.

Lindo proudly turned out for his school's eighths, and look where he ended up.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So did Bill young and Luke Burgess. And we mustn't forget Phil Kearns's and NFJ's appearances in Newington's seconds. Making a school's First XV isn't the be-all and end-all.

Lindo proudly turned out for his school's eighths, and look where he ended up.

Didn't Maddock choose to play 3rds because he wanted to focus on his education in his last year at school?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Or he saw Folau & Kellaway in front of him so went where he would get opportunities earlier

Didn't Maddock choose to play 3rds because he wanted to focus on his education in his last year at school?

Yeah and when you put that together with his cricket going to melbourne suggests he's pursuing his considerable rugby talent on full time basis.
Im informed he's forsaken cricket.
Oz rugby's gain.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Maybe the offer at Melbourne was for more than an EPS contract?

At the Tahs it might not even be EPS but a wider training/supplementary squad contract which doesn't mean a whole lot.

Clunies-Ross leaving frees up a spot but Harry Jones will presumably move up a rung in the ladder. The signing of Cam Clark means there are quite a lot of outside back options for next year already.

With Kepu returning and the need to keep Orr and Sandell on the books the EPS spots might end up quite dedicated to tight five players. I'd be locking Ryan McCauley in on an EPS contract too as it is generally harder to find locks than outside backs.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Maybe the offer at Melbourne was for more than an EPS contract?

At the Tahs it might not even be EPS but a wider training/supplementary squad contract which doesn't mean a whole lot.

Clunies-Ross leaving frees up a spot but Harry Jones will presumably move up a rung in the ladder. The signing of Cam Clark means there are quite a lot of outside back options for next year already.

With Kepu returning and the need to keep Orr and Sandell on the books the EPS spots might end up quite dedicated to tight five players. I'd be locking Ryan McCauley in on an EPS contract too as it is generally harder to find locks than outside backs.

I knew you'd be able to "explain" it to me.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe we'll regret not signing Maddocks but with Kellaway we hopefully have a player who will be a long term success for the Waratahs at fullback (and hopefully the Wallabies in the future).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Maybe we'll regret not signing Maddocks but with Kellaway we hopefully have a player who will be a long term success for the Waratahs at fullback (and hopefully the Wallabies in the future).

The Tahs will always be reminded on the ones who get away, it happens when you have a large selection pool, you can't sign them all

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Tahs will always be reminded on the ones who get away, it happens when you have a large selection pool, you can't sign them all

Too true oh slim one. We constantly get reminded of the time we let George Smith go to the Brumbies after the selectors chose Phil Waugh over him. Can't get it right every time.

Doofus

Peter Burge (5)
Understand Cameron Orr will be on his way to join Laurie Fisher at Gloucester .......very soon. Look forward to him having a run against his brother Harrison who signed with Newcastle Falcons earlier this year.

All happening in the United Kingdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.