• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I also think Folau played well at 13 for the Tahs. Chek shoulda had the balls to play him there at Wallaby level.

Anyway the bloke is untouchable whereas other players have to take ownership of poor performances ( by being dropped). There are a few players that fall into that Teflon category.

Until Australian rugby (Coach) picks players for the right reasons and drops others, also for the right reasons the Wallabies will continue to wallow as they have since RWC (jeez that seems a long time ago).

Hopefully Gibson will pick Folau at 13 and he plays the house down in all games except the Reds one

T

TOCC

The issue with playing Folau at 13 for the Wallabies is that you marginally strengthen one position(13) but drastically degrade another(15).

Kuridrani and now Kerevi are good 13's, where as behind Folau, fullback is a weakness in Australian Rugby.

Although DHP's 2016 Wallaby form has changed that slightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It should also be considered that 2016 was probably Folau's worst season of form for the Wallabies and DHP's best form of his career across the board.

That could very easily be reversed in 2017.

Clearly the times the Wallabies perform best are when test quality players who are in good form can't crack the side because there are form test players ahead of them. That was rarely ever the case in 2016.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Folau is in the side .

His position may be 13 and K and K may be good at 12.

Potentially even Folau at 12.

Think DHP would actually do a better job at 15 than Folau

It really is an endless argument (unless Izzy goes to the Warriors:) )

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The issue with playing Folau at 13 for the Wallabies is that you marginally strengthen one position(13) but drastically degrade another(15).

Kuridrani and now Kerevi are good 13's, where as behind Folau, fullback is a weakness in Australian Rugby.

Although DHP's 2016 Wallaby form has changed that slightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely agree with this. You could also add that moving DHP to fullback drastically weakens the wings (which is arguably our weakest spot in the backline).

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Unless, as i originally posited, you play Kurtley at fullback who is better than Folau in that position....

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It should also be considered that 2016 was probably Folau's worst season of form for the Wallabies

Folau has some fundamental issues in his game,,,,,,,,,,form is not the issue: the teams have worked out those fundamental weaknesses:
  1. show him the sideline - he'll run straight at it;
  2. decision making in the backfield - i.e. once over the gain line - poor;
  3. kicking game remarkably shithouse for a bloke who played AFL but crap at this level
  4. not prepared to dive on the loose pill.
Happy form him to keep playing for the tahs but not the wallabies

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Unless, as i originally posited, you play Kurtley at fullback who is better than Folau in that position..

2010 Beale maybe.........

As for DHP - solid, but not spectacular with his own defensive issues.......

I think some might be judging Folau to a higher standard, because from what I saw last year - despite his drop in form, was still probably the most threatening player in the Wobs backline.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
2010 Beale maybe...

As for DHP - solid, but not spectacular with his own defensive issues...

I think some might be judging Folau to a higher standard, because from what I saw last year - despite his drop in form, was still probably the most threatening player in the Wobs backline.

Beale was in the form of his life pre injury and move. He was excellent in the World Cup as a super sub and excellent for the Waratahs. Actually has a relevant skillset for fullback as well.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
folau often looked like he was pushing too hard, and at times against England mid year other players looked like they ran out of options and just gave it to him to perform some magic. i dont think he played well, and he looked like he knew he wasnt at his normal level, but no one was pressing for his position.

hopefully this year at both levels he will focus on improving his skills and focus less on 'the magic'.

*edit - a word

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Beale was in the form of his life pre injury and move. He was excellent in the World Cup as a super sub and excellent for the Waratahs.

That's true, mostly alternating between centre and wing.......

But his history as a test fullback (which to be fair, is now going back a few years) started great, and finished bad....... he was extremely unreliable under the high ball.

You wouldn't put him back there over Folau, or DHP.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Whatever Izzy gets paid, he is worth more. Not because of his on-field performances, but because he is the only drawcard we have.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
Has anybody been watching skelton play at the saracens?He still does the occasional dumb thing but seems to be getting better. Beating more players and a few other good points. He got dropped from run on side (i think because the scrum got beat up when he was on). But he seems to be learning things from the good players he is playing with and getting 30 mins or so per game..

Cheers Dave

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Has anybody been watching skelton play at the saracens?He still does the occasional dumb thing but seems to be getting better. Beating more players and a few other good points. He got dropped from run on side (i think because the scrum got beat up when he was on). But he seems to be learning things from the good players he is playing with and getting 30 mins or so per game..

Cheers Dave

Did you enjoy registering to post Dave? :D

T

TOCC

Watched the Tahs training today for a bit, who's the massive Polynesian bloke with dreadlocks that was training in the backs, thought maybe Naiyavaro but looked a bit slimmer then him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Watched the Tahs training today for a bit, who's the massive Polynesian bloke with dreadlocks that was training in the backs, thought maybe Naiyavaro but looked a bit slimmer then him.

He's not a back but the only person that sounds like is Senio Toleafoa.

Israel-Folau.jpg

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Cheers Dave

Yeah, I believe he is a season or two away from being a world class lock.

Last season he began to play actually like a lock and get lighter and fitter.

It is a challenge for those physical freaks that they get there too quickly, with too many flaws their physical presence hid.

They get found out at the top level and actually need to take time to develop both physically and mentally.

I see the "Tongan Thor" in the same group, fantastic ball runner, but props need to be able to scrummage first

Status
Not open for further replies.