• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I only used Cam as an example, but I can tell you that he would have happily re-signed in Melbourne. He had no interest in moving interstate again; it was either Melbourne, or relocate back to Sydney, or overseas.

But yes, he was certainly happy to be picky about where that might be overseas, and places he wasn't willing move to in Australia (there was interest from at least one Super Rugby team) because he has prepared well for life after Rugby.

I just think letting him go represents the short-termism that is prevalent in many facets of Australian Rugby right now, including contracting.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I just think letting him go represents the short-termism that is prevalent in many facets of Australian Rugby right now, including contracting.

Isn't it the opposite? That you're trying to prepare your squad not just for the current year but also the future.

If there was only a short term view taken each team would sign the 35 best players available for that season rather than planning ahead for the future as well.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Generally I think you plan for a core of about 15-18 who are going to be around 2+ years, then you do what you can with the rest of your money.

Some signings are going to be pure speculation to see if they work out, or filling a hole, but might turn out to be a long-term solution.

Can't please all the people, all the time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If you were picking the Tahs on form for round 1, Matt Lucas would be starting at 9 and Bryce Hegarty at 10. Both were fantastic.

I don't think that will happen but here's what I think the matchday 23 should be for round 1.

1. Robertson
2. Latu
3. Kepu
4. Mumm
5. Skelton
6. Dempsey
7. Hooper
8. Holloway/Wilkin
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Simone
13. Folau
14. Robinson
15. Kellaway

16. Roach/Fitzpatrick
17. Ryan
18. Lolohea
19. Hanigan
20. Wilkin/Wells
21. Lucas
22. Hegarty
23. Naiyaravoro

Gordon wasn't good. He ran backwards before passing too much and kicked poorly. The Highlanders were at their best when he was on in the first half an hour but he didn't show anything to suggest he should be ahead of either Phipps or Lucas. Lucas was clearly the best of the three.

Simone well and truly secured the 12 jersey to start the season. He was very good.

Kellaway is definitely at risk of dropping to the bench or out of the 23. Would definitely be consideration of some of the other options available such as playing Hegarty at 15 or moving Robinson to 15 and starting Naiyaravoro.

Robinson's goal kicking was good. Looks like there's a decent chance he'll be the regular kicker.

I think Wilkin is playing better than Wells and I'd have him in my 23.

Hooper played like an absolute freak. Put in 60 excellent minutes and was the only good Waratahs player in the first 30.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
If you were picking the Tahs on form for round 1, Matt Lucas would be starting at 9 and Bryce Hegarty at 10. Both were fantastic.

I don't think that will happen but here's what I think the matchday 23 should be for round 1.

1. Robertson
2. Latu
3. Kepu
4. Mumm
5. Skelton
6. Dempsey
7. Hooper
8. Holloway/Wilkin
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Simone
13. Folau
14. Robinson
15. Kellaway

16. Roach/Fitzpatrick
17. Ryan
18. Lolohea
19. Hanigan
20. Wilkin/Wells
21. Lucas
22. Hegarty
23. Naiyaravoro

Gordon wasn't good. He ran backwards before passing too much and kicked poorly. The Highlanders were at their best when he was on in the first half an hour but he didn't show anything to suggest he should be ahead of either Phipps or Lucas. Lucas was clearly the best of the three.

Simone well and truly secured the 12 jersey to start the season. He was very good.

Kellaway is definitely at risk of dropping to the bench or out of the 23. Would definitely be consideration of some of the other options available such as playing Hegarty at 15 or moving Robinson to 15 and starting Naiyaravoro.

Robinson's goal kicking was good. Looks like there's a decent chance he'll be the regular kicker.

I think Wilkin is playing better than Wells and I'd have him in my 23.

Hooper played like an absolute freak. Put in 60 excellent minutes and was the only good Waratahs player in the first 30.

Cannot argue with that 23 though I'd go with Hegarty at 15 and put Kellaway on the bench.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'd likewise start rejig the backline / reserves as follows:

9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. TQN
12. Simone
13. Folau
14. Robinson
15. Hegarty

16. Ryan
17. Roach
18. Lolohea
19. Hanigan
20. Wells / Wilkin
21. Gordon
22. Horne
23. Jones

Horne is returning from an injury yes? I definitely think he is in our best XV but I don't want his first minutes returning from an injury against a fresh, excited and physical Western Force lineup.

I'd bring him on in the last 20 to give him some game time.

I likewise think Gordon offers a tiny bit more than Lucas at this stage, who IMO is too slow to pass from the base.

Kellaway's poor performance in the trials and last season, alongside every other fringe players strong performances in the trials this season indicate to me he should be dropped from the 23.

I think TQN / Robinson / Jones have all earned their spots, as has Hegarty who has simply been too good to leave from the XV. Folau to hit his straps at 13 quickly or Hegarty to 12, Simone to 13 and Folau to 15.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I likewise think Gordon offers a tiny bit more than Lucas at this stage, who IMO is too slow to pass from the base.

I thought Lucas was one of the Tahs best three players last night and would be very hard done by to be left out of the 23 against the Force.

That was a return to Earth for Jake Gordon last night. His habit of stepping backwards from the breakdown before passing put everyone on the back foot and transferred pressure wider. It's a little hard on him because he played during the stretch where the Tahs were well beaten but he also contributed to that.

I can't see him making the 23 in week one.

If we were picking on form, Lucas should be starting.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I always thought that Hegarty had a lot of potential so it is good to hear that, injury free, he is back to form. Hopefully he gets some good opportunities at the Waratahs.

That's a pretty decent looking backline that has been suggested, and if Holloway gets back to the form he was showing last year before injury, combined with the likes of Hooper I think the Tahs are going to be quite formidable.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I still have heart palpitations every time Taqele touches the ball, you feel like there is at least a 50% chance of him doing something incredibly stupid, or just plain dropping the ball.

I'm not sure the good things he does (of which there are many) outweigh the bad (of which there are many).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I still have heart palpitations every time Taqele touches the ball, you feel like there is at least a 50% chance of him doing something incredibly stupid, or just plain dropping the ball.

I'm not sure the good things he does (of which there are many) outweigh the bad (of which there are many).

I'm much the same on this. I'd limit his involvement to a bench spot. I reckon there's a sweet spot of second half minutes where you can maximise the probability he'll score a try and minimise the probability he'll do something ridiculously stupid.

His ball security needs to improve. I realise a lot of that is down to carrying in one hand looking for offloads but he needs to reign it in a bit and play the percentages.

He possesses remarkable pace for someone his size.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Isn't it the opposite? That you're trying to prepare your squad not just for the current year but also the future.

If there was only a short term view taken each team would sign the 35 best players available for that season rather than planning ahead for the future as well.

Sure, I probably didn't elaborate very well and your response is entirely fair.

I meant short-termism in that the only way to combat being in a non-traditional Rugby state is to sign the best youngsters from interstate a year earlier than they would be picked up there rather than invest heavily in your local patch in the hope of long term development and/or investing in players after they've prove they can play at this level and backing your high-performance environment and the fact you're in a great city as the way to convince them to move.

Which is admittedly harder for Canberra and Perth, and your point is entirely valid.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Totally agree.
However,if the options are Kellaway or Jones, at least you know Taqele won't die wondering.
IMO the two youngsters are a long way from being keen to involve themselves defensively.
What to do?
Who'd be a coach!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
McGregor might be a year too early (but there's also a shortage of decent 10s so securing some is important) but I think Maddocks is spot on. He'd get matchday 23 time at just about every Aussie side this year I think. I reckon he's a real talent.

I predict Maddocks will be the Rebels starting fullback next season.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Add to that his shitty/lazy tackling technique and the new tackle rulings

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Add to that his shitty/lazy tackling technique and the new tackle rulings

Tbh he made a few good tackles last night (with good technique) and looked to be getting involved.

He looks less porky than he was a few months ago.

Give him a chance I reckon - particularly considering Kellaway picked up a shoulder injury in that game (don't know how serious it is).

Reports suggest Foley also copped a head knock - could see Hegarty start against the Force.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Tbh he made a few good tackles last night (with good technique) and looked to be getting involved.

He looks less porky than he was a few months ago.

Give him a chance I reckon - particularly considering Kellaway picked up a shoulder injury in that game (don't know how serious it is).

Reports suggest Foley also copped a head knock - could see Hegarty start against the Force.

Happy to, but like Skelton when tired they both throw arms out

Moondog

Stan Wickham (3)
Happy to, but like Skelton when tired they both through arms out

Taqele is not a winger. Why have him there ?

Status
Not open for further replies.