• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Was always going to happen I reckon. He's never been able to bring his schoolboy/U20s dominance to this level but he's still only young. He might lack confidence but that will come, he rarely makes a mistake and is precisely the type of player who should be getting developed for the top level.

EDIT: by 'mistake' I'm talking about handling errors etc, as opposed to execution, misreads etc.

Some of his passing was average, but he did enough to continue at 12

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
I thought Gordon was quite good, his running threat was excellent, he wasn't perfect, but he showed promise.

Lucas is good a marshalling the troupes, but he doesn't threaten the line

Two points:
1.The team needs marshalling badly
2. Lucas has a far better pass. Phipps showed the difference when he came on.
Jake needs to finish his apprenticeship. This isn't NRC

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I thought Gordon was quite good, his running threat was excellent, he wasn't perfect, but he showed promise.

Lucas is good a marshalling the troupes, but he doesn't threaten the line

I agree re Gordon, I thought for his debut game he was safe and will only imrpove. Additionally I didn't cringe everytime he went for the boxkixk (a la Phipps)

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
One of Gordon's strengths is his kicking game. Be interesting to see what Gibson does next week, against his old team!
Interesting how much more assured Phipps looked with Foley outside him (why do a variety of people here insist on calling him Phibbs, it's not that hard, particularly compared with some of the names we have to deal with).

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Guys, pick the Fijian shithouse for goodness sake. He's slow, has the turning circle of a P&O cruise ship, can't kick and can barely catch but he is a HUGE threat when he gets his running game going. One of the main issues for the waratahs (and the reds and force) this season has been a lack of gainline dominance. It's not like Robinson is carving up and scoring tries. When Foley comes back and resumes the kicking duties put the big man on the wing and use him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Guys, pick the Fijian shithouse for goodness sake. He's slow.

I really don't think he's that slow. Once he gets up to speed he's quite fast.

He had a runaway try against the Highlanders in that trial and no one got close to catching him.

He's certainly not up with the flyers in the competition but I reckon he'd be quicker than bunch of other outside backs over 40 or 50.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
There certainly is a lack of penetration in the backline at the moment. Apart from Folau and Taqele which players would geuinely worry the other team if they were marking them?
I'm not sure that someone like Kellaway who was one of our top juniors in years will ever be breaking tackles regularly.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
He certainly didn't look like breaking many yesterday from what I remember, our backline as a whole got shut down pretty quick.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
That's the beauty of having Foley at 10. He can break the line, the opposition have to counter that, and so can't slide straight to marking our centres. Simone is probably another who can break the line in time, if his NRC form is anything to go by, but he's not there yet.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Lock has been one of the worst recruited positions in the Tahs for many years. After 2014 there was a massive hole when Douglas left and it was not filled properly and hasn't been since. Mumm is getting long in the tooth and he is losing the dynamism that set him apart and made him a viable option to balance Skelton (and Skelton balance his lack of impact) but with Skelton leaving the Tahs must be banking on the Force getting punted and hoping they can pick up Arnold at least.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Lock has been one of the worst recruited positions in the Tahs for many years. After 2014 there was a massive hole when Douglas left and it was not filled properly and hasn't been since. Mumm is getting long in the tooth and he is losing the dynamism that set him apart and made him a viable option to balance Skelton (and Skelton balance his lack of impact) but with Skelton leaving the Tahs must be banking on the Force getting punted and hoping they can pick up Arnold at least.
Quite frankly, you'd be mad to bank on anything that involves a decision being made by SAANZAR or the ARU.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Damn. Well he doesn't fit into Gibson's style, an actual big lock. Sad to see him go.

He shouldn't fit into any serious super or test coach's style as I observed when he first arrived on the scene.
In a sense he is a very good illustration of the gulf between us and NZ.
They have smaller locks who make many times the contribution he does in a game both in their sheer athleticism and in their ability to use their size to actually influence the outcome of games.
Size for the sake of size. It is an athletic contest.
Good luck to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.