• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
The vultures are circling...

Cowan or Vui to replace Ta'Avao

Adam Coleman and Matt Philip to replace Skelton, Mumm and McDuling (sorry Rob Simmons, the bus looks full)

Ross Haylett-Petty and Richie Hardwick probably won't fit with Hanigan, Hooper and Dempsey

Isa Naisarani would surely be better than Wells/Holloway - he was in the NRC

Jono Lance back to deputise for Foley (noting Iceman has missed a few early-season games over the last 2 seasons) replacing Horwitz, and possibly Hegarty

Bill Meakes to replace Rob Horne

Curtis Rona to replace Robinson and Jones

Would be great to get Dane Haylett-Petty, but from memory he said a few months ago he'd go to either Brums or Rebs if Force folded. Brumbies could end up with both Arnold brothers and Haylett-Petty brothers too.

Robertson, Latu, Kepu, (Coleman), Hanigan, Dempsey, Hooper, (Naisarani), Gordon, Foley, Clark, Beale, (Meakes), (Rona), Folau. Res: Ryan, Fitzpatrick, Sandell, (Philip), Holloway/Wells, Phipps, (Lance), Kellaway/Naiyaravoro.

The players I've nominally poached are filling gaps left by players who've confirmed they're leaving. Interesting that Tahs haven't signed as many as the other sides so far, so we'll hopefully have the whip hand chasing Coleman and Meakes. Coleman and Naisarani would give us the power we had with Skelton and Palu (at their fittest), despite Gibson's obsession with mobility.

And Wessels to coach?

RIP Force - sincerely.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
The vultures are circling.

Adam Coleman and Matt Philip to replace Skelton, Mumm and McDuling (sorry Rob Simmons, the bus looks full)

Ross Haylett-Petty and Richie Hardwick probably won't fit with Hanigan, Hooper and Dempsey

Jono Lance back to deputise for Foley (noting Iceman has missed a few early-season games over the last 2 seasons) replacing Horwitz, and possibly Hegarty

Would be great to get Dane Haylett-Petty, but from memory he said a few months ago he'd go to either Brums or Rebs if Force folded. Brumbies could end up with both Arnold brothers and Haylett-Petty brothers too.

Robertson, Latu, Kepu, (Coleman), Hanigan, Dempsey, Hooper, (Naisarani), Gordon, Foley, Clark, Beale, (Meakes), (Rona), Folau. Res: Ryan, Fitzpatrick, Sandell, (Philip), Holloway/Wells, Phipps, (Lance), Kellaway/Naiyaravoro.

The players I've nominally poached are filling gaps left by players who've confirmed they're leaving. Interesting that Tahs haven't signed as many as the other sides so far, so we'll hopefully have the whip hand chasing Coleman and Meakes. Coleman and Naisarani would give us the power we had with Skelton and Palu (at their fittest), despite Gibson's obsession with mobility.

And Wessels to coach?

RIP Force - sincerely.

Rob Simmons has agreed to terms to join the Tahs apparently

Reactions: dru

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The vultures are circling.

And Wessels to coach?

RIP Force - sincerely.

It's really poor taste to be starting up with this stuff so soon. Seriously.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
What the pedallist said. With a supporter of Twiggy's long pockets this isn't over by a long shot.

An appalling day for Oz rugby. I'm off to the Joeys/View game tomorrow to revive my spirits about the game I love, at least there's a bar at HH to ease the pain.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Heard that Nick Palmer ex Norths and Kelly Meafua are training for a contract with the Tahs in the off season. Not sure how reliable my mail is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Ah good work Gibson, bring in Ta'avao and release Ala'alatoa.. that worked out well

Wasn't Ta'avao recruited during the Cheika reign and on the absolute recommendation of Ben Robinson?

Don't get me wrong I agree fully with the sentiment. Especially when any deeper enquiry would have revealed he wasn't rated highly by people involved with the Blues.

T

TOCC

I don't really think many people were crying out for Ala'alatoa to stay in the Tahs at the time. From memory, he left before Ta'avao was signed.

Ala'alatoa signed with Manawatu after the Waratahs recruited Ta'avao, Gibson at the time said Ta'avao was a great signing and would add to the THP depth alongside Paddy Ryan.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ala'alatoa signed with Manawatu after the Waratahs recruited Ta'avao, Gibson at the time said Ta'avao was a great signing and would add to the THP depth alongside Paddy Ryan.

This is true and in hindsight it was a terrible decision.

I don't think many thought that Ryan and Ala'alatoa were ready to step up and replace Kepu though.

I think everyone saw signing a good replacement for Kepu as a key recruitment need for 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.