• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ala'alatoa signed with Manawatu after the Waratahs recruited Ta'avao, Gibson at the time said Ta'avao was a great signing and would add to the THP depth alongside Paddy Ryan.

Ta'avao was cover for losing Kepu, I don't think the greatest revisionist historian could have considered Ala'alatoa a starter at that time

T

TOCC

Ta'avao was cover for losing Kepu, I don't think the greatest revisionist historian could have considered Ala'alatoa a starter at that time

who said Ta'avao was ever a a starting THP replacement for Kepu...

Crusaders must be some great revisionist historians since Ala'alatoa played similar minutes in 2016 as Ta'avao did.

Like i said, "good work Gibson", he really screwed the pooch on that one

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
who said Ta'avao was ever a a starting THP replacement for Kepu.

Crusaders must be some great revisionist historians since Ala'alatoa played similar minutes in 2016 as Ta'avao did.

Like i said, "good work Gibson", he really screwed the pooch on that one
He was a terrible signing. They did sign him on the basis that he was the replacement for Kepu.

The Tahs were unbelievably lucky Robertson emerged and did so well otherwise they would have been well and truly stuffed.

In hindsight they clearly should have kept Ala'alatoa. There wasn't a lot of expectation he was going to progress so quickly from that point though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

The coach

No wonder Ala'alatoa left

Ta'avao got injured

you misspelt "dropped"
Ta'avao didn't miss any games, he was dropped to the bench and received less game time as the season progressed, probably had something to do the the 11 penalties he received in the first 4 rounds.

He was a terrible signing. They did sign him on the basis that he was the replacement for Kepu.

The Tahs were unbelievably lucky Robertson emerged and did so well otherwise they would have been well and truly stuffed.

In hindsight they clearly should have kept Ala'alatoa. There wasn't a lot of expectation he was going to progress so quickly from that point though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Agreed, always disappointing to lose good young talents, especially at the expense of recruiting a kiwi who returns home at the end of his contract. Guilford is another who fits this mould.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Agreed FP. It is not like the Crusaders signed him from the tahs. He played a season of NPC first. If the tahs are being blamed why aren't the other aussie teams too?

Different environments work for different players. Look at Nandolo it took him stints in Australia, England, France and Japan before he realised his potential at the Crusaders. NSW and QLD produce most of the rugby talent in Australia. People are going to make the wrong choices at times it par for the course.

In this instance they made a mistake but I am not going to crucify them for it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ta'avao got injured

Ta'avao broke his leg in the NRC semi-final.

Agreed, always disappointing to lose good young talents, especially at the expense of recruiting a kiwi who returns home at the end of his contract. Guilford is another who fits this mould.

The expectation for Ta'avao was that a) he'd be much better than he was and b) it was with the genuine purpose of him becoming an Australian player and hopefully representing the Wallabies in the future (as he is Australian eligible). Clearly all those expectations were wrong.

T

TOCC

The expectation for Ta'avao was that a) he'd be much better than he was and b) it was with the genuine purpose of him becoming an Australian player and hopefully representing the Wallabies in the future (as he is Australian eligible). Clearly all those expectations were wrong.

he isn't the first player, and won't be the last.... and all of the above are a reflection of the broken talent identification and development system in Australia

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
he isn't the first player, and won't be the last.. and all of the above are a reflection of the broken talent identification and development system in Australia
So true, demonstrated yet again last Saturday when wicks backs had their pants pulled down against a side with one fringe super player against their 3 contracted players and 2 fringe 9's.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Any chance we can get back to 2018 Tahs?

Lets make lists so far.

Confirmed leaving:

* Dean Mumm - retired
* Rob Horne
* Will Skelton
* Angus Ta'avao
* David Horwitz
Rumored leaving:

* Senio Toleafoa
* Andrew Deegan
* Harry Jones
* David lolohea

Actual signings/re signings:

* Kurtley Beale
* Tom Staniforth
* Jake Gordon

Rumored/unconfirmed signings/re signings:

* Rob Simmons
* Mack Mason

Unknown:

* Tolu Latu
* Dave McDuling
* Reece Robinson
* Irae Simone
* Brad Wilkin
* Maclean Jones
* Sam Needs

Anyone have any rumors, news?

Anyone I have missed?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any chance we can get back to 2018 Tahs?

Lets make lists so far.

Confirmed leaving:

* Dean Mumm - retired
* Rob Horne
* Will Skelton
* Angus Ta'avao
* David Horwitz
Rumored leaving:

* Senio Toleafoa
* Andrew Deegan
* Harry Jones
* David lolohea

Actual signings/re signings:

* Kurtley Beale
* Tom Staniforth
* Jake Gordon

Rumored/unconfirmed signings/re signings:

* Rob Simmons
* Mack Mason

Unknown:

* Tolu Latu
* Dave McDuling
* Reece Robinson
* Irae Simone
* Brad Wilkin
* Maclean Jones
* Sam Needs

Anyone have any rumors, news?

Anyone I have missed?

I've been trying to track it on the very first post of this thread.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Matt Lucas I think is going to the Brumbies.

Many players going expected to go. Curious to see who the Tahs get

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Mason was signed for 3yrs, Simone for 2yrs so both confirmed for next year at least. (Source? I asked them both in the tah fanzone at a game earlier this year.)

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
To return some activity to this post, I see 13, 8, 4/5 and 11/14 as the biggest holes we need to plug (essentially, the whole team).

Ignoring WF players:

For 8 hopefully Holloway comes good, but a backup is needed. Wells / Wilkin simply are not big enough, any SS options?

4/5 we've picked up Simmons. Swinton seems to be developing well, but is Conor Vest from Norths an option? I've heard big wraps on him. Or can Sinclair, the Norths 6, play second row? He seems to be tall enough and I think he had a good season for the Rebels. Any other options?

As did Miller at 7. He could be a handy pick up to cover Hooper and reduce his minutes / mental fatigue as the guys barely missed a minute in years.

For 13, could Wileman from the Rats be a solid squad pick up? He seems to be amazingly athletic and from all accounts has really developed over the years. I'd prefer a more mature option like him over a baby faced schoolboy.

For wings I have absolutely no suggestions. Can anyone suggest some?

The NRC will provide more answers but it's good to start asking the questions early.

Status
Not open for further replies.