• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't really rate Wells either, except perhaps as a back-up 7 to Hooper. But the guy really does have a go! He puts his body on the line, when he makes a carry he is going flat out, unlike others who just jog into tackles. He gets recognition from me for that - he genuinely tries to be dominant. Not his fault that his genetics didn't allow him to be what we need, but still a really good competitor. Dempsey and Hanigan will both go on the EOYT unless injured and because of this will have a shortened preseason. As a result, neither of them will be able to do the concentrated gym and diet work required to put in the 10kg of muscle and strength development required to make them what we need them to be. The best thing Cheika could do would be to drop both from the EOYT so they can start eating and working in the gym. But he won't. But I will tell you this; if they were NZers that is precisely what Hanson and the other coaches would do.

It's a bit of a moot point though, as NZ is in the fortunate position that they just about never select players physically underdone for the ABs. But, in principle, I completely agree. They have been much better at focussed player fitness / rehab programmes than us.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Dempsey looks a lot bigger than he did a couple of years ago, I'm not sure he could get any bigger. Hanigan still looks like an U20 player.

Yeah but he's lanky, im pretty sure he's already 110+ which is enough for a backrower. I don't think he'll ever appear big. It's always easier to appear muscly when you are shorter.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah but he's lanky, im pretty sure he's already 110+ which is enough for a backrower. I don't think he'll ever appear big. It's always easier to appear muscly when you are shorter.

Rocky Elsom looked very lanky when he was young too. Funnily enough, for some time now Hanigan has been compared to Elsom by some in the know around here, i.e. Lee Grant.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Rocky Elsom looked very lanky when he was young too. Funnily enough, for some time now Hanigan has been compared to Elsom by some in the know around here, i.e. Lee Grant.

Or even Hugh McMeniman. Remember he told Eddie I need to get bigger before I play.

With a bit of age and more time in a professional program Ned will get there.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

In my opinion Hanigan can be at least as good as Elsom as a player. His potential is almost limitless. But right now he lacks the strength and impact he needs to be the Waratah/Wallaby 6. I am sure Cheika/Gibson are hoping he will develop into that, as I am. But continually playing him now is just restricting him from doing the work he needs to develop his natural abilities.
Rather than "hoping" he will come good, I want him to have the EOYT off to give him the chance to build what he needs. Potentially he is as important to the team's future as Coleman, Folau and Beale. I rate his potential that highly. But right now he is a liability to the team because he has been pushed too early into starting for the Waratahs and Wallabies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

Dempsey is listed as less than an inch shorter than Ned.

He's almost exactly a full year older though and that extra year of weights and pies shows.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
BTW heard through the grape vine that Will Miller will be a Waratah next year.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

In my opinion Hanigan can be at least as good as Elsom as a player. His potential is almost limitless. But right now he lacks the strength and impact he needs to be the Waratah/Wallaby 6. I am sure Cheika/Gibson are hoping he will develop into that, as I am. But continually playing him now is just restricting him from doing the work he needs to develop his natural abilities.
Rather than "hoping" he will come good, I want him to have the EOYT off to give him the chance to build what he needs. Potentially he is as important to the team's future as Coleman, Folau and Beale. I rate his potential that highly. But right now he is a liability to the team because he has been pushed too early into starting for the Waratahs and Wallabies.

He won't miss the EOYT, Cheika has him as a mainstay and McMahon won't be on the EOYT I believe, he is off to Japan

T

TOCC

I think he may have had 12 months when he was arguably the best in the world on form in euro rugby, but it never really translated to test level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
As the Force signings are starting, I reckon our Tah wishlist should be for..

a TH either of Vui or Ainsley
2 Locks out of Coleman, Philip or Arnold
2 o/s backs Pref Meakes, and Rona or Peni etc

With that lot on board we are looking v strong as will all the other squads.

Brumbies need a good back-rower and hooker and they've picked up Naisirani which is a great match.Assuming CL is back they will be very strong across the park. Maybe another winger as well... Newsome /Verity Am?
Rebels need a better fly-half and hopefully will get Lance. They'll also prob get Coleman and the HP's which will give them a super backline and much better set piece.
Reds could use Hardwick at 7 to go with G Smith.
With the rest of the Force player spread evenly across the squads
Whilst no-one wanted the Force out it should theoretically make all the OZ teams that much stronger going forward. At least it looks that way on paper.
Only problem is the coaching. Does anybody really think Gibson is a great coach who can get the best out of players?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If you're concerned about the injuries of Dempsey and Holloway, then I don't think McCalman is your man.

What happened to Kelleway, was an amazing talent 2 years ago, still the same talent but just isn't progressing the way he should be in a professional set-up.
Kellaway been disappointing last season and in nrc so far. Not kicked on. Will struggle to be in match day 23 at this rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
At his best, when he was in Ireland, he was the best 6 in the world by a good margin. After that injuries cruelled his career.

No. He was best in Europe maybe, but even that is debatable, he was part of a very very good backrow. Throughout his time in Australian sides he never came close to Kaino or Collins. In an Australian context as far as I'm concerned if we want a defensive lineout 6 then Cockbain is the prototype. A ruck man and running 6 then its Finnegan. An impact 6 then Willie O. Australia has produced plenty of potential players in these moulds but most have not been developed properly and have left early with players like Elsom getting selected despite injury, on a preferential basis. Players like Kimlin, Jones, Mowen.....

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We (Wallabies) can’t afford either a ruckman & running #6 or an impact #6 if that means we don’t get a defensive line out #6. I’d hope to combine ruck, running and line out. On the proviso we can find impact at 8.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Think one of the problems/challenges facing rugby in NSW/Australia is a lack of big boppers. In the Shute Shield guys who should be large back rowers play lock allowing smallish guys to play 6 & 8. The large back rower types then don’t develop.
I reckon Mcmahon and Dempsey should play 7 and fill in at 6 or 8.
Also puzzled why Chek and others seem to overlook Jed Holloway. He has run rings around Dempsey at club level. He is bigger and faster can jump in line outs and has a much more robust presence.
Perhaps Jed has blotted his copy book somehow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Jed had a pretty ordinary year in Super rugby this year (after a great break-out year in 2016). Wells finished up holding the Tahs No 8 job ahead of him, and it was hard to argue against that selection.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Jed had a pretty ordinary year in Super rugby this year (after a great break-out year in 2016). Wells finished up holding the Tahs No 8 job ahead of him, and it was hard to argue against that selection.
Injured now too right?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.