• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Battle for the 2018 underdog crown has started early..

Rebels are the current favourites, but with the recent signing of Wessells and the rumoured signing of a few former Western Wallabies their odds are likely to blow out. Current Odds: $3

Reds have apparently sacked their coach and lost Wallaby stalwart Rob Simmons to the Waratahs and couldn’t fit Genia under the salary cap. Current odds: $5.50

Tahs have signed Wallaby stalwart Rob Simmons and prodigal son Kurtley Beale, and Gibson managed to offload Grey to Cheika. They’re running a solid marketing campaign of talking down their Wallaby top-ups to keep them in the race. current odds: $8

Brumbies, new coach no one has heard of... but Pocock is returning and Lealifano is fit again, as well as the recruitment of Naisarani, current odds: $7.50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Numbers can be revealed … ARU top-ups for 2016:

Tahs: $2.60 m

Brum: $1.30 m

Reds: $1.05 m

Force $270 k

Rebs: $120 k

-------------

TOTAL $5.34 m

Cite

Differences aren't 5% here or there. A squad making 150% of the cap versus one making 102%.

And yet despite the Tahs leading the top ups by a country mile how shite were the Tahs in 2016. Excuses for Gibson are running out....so he is better being hands on he reckons...well if he doesn't see Tahs improve by a country mile by early rounds then we need to send him back to NZ as don't need to invest in someone who will eventually return to NZ whose Super Rugby coaching record to date is utter crap.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Battle for the 2018 underdog crown has started early..

Rebels are the current favourites, but with the recent signing of Wessells and the rumoured signing of a few former Western Wallabies their odds are likely to blow out. Current Odds: $3

Reds have apparently sacked their coach and lost Wallaby stalwart Rob Simmons to the Waratahs and couldn’t fit Genia under the salary cap. Current odds: $5.50

Tahs have signed Wallaby stalwart Rob Simmons and prodigal son Kurtley Beale, and Gibson managed to offload Grey to Cheika. They’re running a solid marketing campaign of talking down their Wallaby top-ups to keep them in the race. current odds: $8

Brumbies, new coach no one has heard of. but Pocock is returning and Lealifano is fit again, as well as the recruitment of Naisarani, current odds: $7.50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would prefer odds of who is next Super Rugby coach to be sacked as Gibson must be short priced favourite.....

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Numbers can be revealed … ARU top-ups for 2016:

Tahs: $2.60 m

Brum: $1.30 m

Reds: $1.05 m

Force $270 k

Rebs: $120 k

-------------

TOTAL $5.34 m

Cite

Differences aren't 5% here or there. A squad making 150% of the cap versus one making 102%.
Braveheart where are you?
Duality Derpus - see any duality here?
Prod prod, pour gasoline etc

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
\ I said this in the Rebels 2018 thread and I'll say it here. If you want to talk about the Tahs in 2018, then good. If you want to talk about Tahs 1996-2017, then don't. If you want to be a borderline troll, don't. Any more off topic stuff gets nuked.

T

TOCC

I would prefer odds of who is next Super Rugby coach to be sacked as Gibson must be short priced favourite...

Behind Stiles..

But yes, his performance as HC of the Tahs is questionable, he took over the Tahs when they were a well drilled unit and have regressed in almost all facets since. Only so much of that can be blamed on the turnover of players, he needs a big year if he is going to keep his job

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Not an ideal outcome but could you propose a better one. I don't think you can just force test quality players to move to another city so you can evenly distribute them between teams?

No but you could set a strict upper limit on the teams for wallaby top ups and only pay up to that amount. Say one million per team. and if you still want to pay for the Waratahs then you miss out on the money.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
How about we keep the ARU top up discussion in the ARU thread, where it is already being discussed? Rather than have the same shitfight in 2 places? Seriously.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Behind Stiles..

But yes, his performance as HC of the Tahs is questionable, he took over the Tahs when they were a well drilled unit and have regressed in almost all facets since. Only so much of that can be blamed on the turnover of players, he needs a big year if he is going to keep his job
I thought stiles was gone based on fake news...but given was stiles first season as head coach and Gibson's second I still have him closer to the exit gates. Would take a big improvement for Gibson to be retained beyond this season with his contract up for renewal at the end of next season. Latter which makes me think unlikely to be renewed but equally tahs finances too poor to sack him with only 1 year left and give time for cron to do a 1 year apprenticeship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
From the outside, I'd say your forward pack picks itself: Ryan, Latu, Kepu, Simmons, Power, Dempsey, Hooper, Holloway. Kepu's probably the only one who you could call a "big bopper", but that pack is still strong. If you signed a class loosehead and manage to pick up Coleman from the Force, it's a pack that's good enough to take you to a title.

This post has to be taking the piss!

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
One positive for the Tahs is the return of Beale. Sticking to his rugby form, he has come back a far more mature player. He is showing starch in defense, he is running straighter lines in attack and is also making better decisions with ball in hand. Credit where credit is due.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
One positive for the Tahs is the return of Beale. Sticking to his rugby form, he has come back a far more mature player. He is showing starch in defense, he is running straighter lines in attack and is also making better decisions with ball in hand. Credit where credit is due.

I thought he was doing all this before his injury pre-wasps but either way he's red-hot and will slot straight back into 12.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Does anyone know where Tolu Latu is? He hasn't been playing NRC and I haven't read that he is injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.