• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
From an outsider it almost looks like Phipps (and many other Australian players) practice passing to static objects. The pass seems to be to the chest or inside shoulder not a metre in front of the hands.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
rumours have it that Tom Staniforth will be at the Tahs next year

If the rumours are true, I am not that impressed. We've got lightweight locks who can jump coming out of our ears - Hanigan, McDuling and McCauley - and Staniforth is like for like! We need TWO rockshifter/explosive runners and we haven't got ANY.

We'll end up playing Hanigan and McDuling as starters and Staniforth off the bench and get smashed by everyone. For reference, see the first half against the Blues where no forward could get over the gain line while their running forwards knocked our defenders on their arse every single time. We do not understand the need for power, the Kiwis certainly do! Even the worst Kiwi team knows you have to have it before you turn up to play. We don't.

The first person who should be cut from the Tahs squad is the person responsible for recruitment. I don't care who it is, they haven't got a clue. Toleafoa better than Lousi? He must be walking around with a white cane.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If the rumours are true, I am not that impressed. We've got lightweight locks who can jump coming out of our ears - Hanigan, McDuling and McCauley - and Staniforth is like for like! We need TWO rockshifter/explosive runners and we haven't got ANY.

We'll end up playing Hanigan and McDuling as starters and Staniforth off the bench and get smashed by everyone. For reference, see the first half against the Blues where no forward could get over the gain line while their running forwards knocked our defenders on their arse every single time. We do not understand the need for power, the Kiwis certainly do! Even the worst Kiwi team knows you have to have it before you turn up to play. We don't.

The first person who should be cut from the Tahs squad is the person responsible for recruitment. I don't care who it is, they haven't got a clue. Toleafoa better than Lousi? He must be walking around with a white cane.

I think it will depend on who else is signed and I agree we need high workrate tight locks

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)

Think you might find there are people signed or agreed to sign who have yet to be announced. The ARU moratorium would have stopped people being signed unconditionally. Expect to see some announcements soon is my tip.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So who would be the under 20s the Tahs should be looking to sign next year?

Ryan McCauley is already on contract and will clearly be retained.

Harry Johnson-Holmes looks like the clearest candidate that must be signed and should get an EPS contract. Not hard to imagine him leapfrogging a bunch of players within a year or two and being viable in Super Rugby. He seems like a real talent.

Lachie Swinton also looks like a good option although there's a bunch of good 6 options within the squad already. Would seem like a development contract or similar would work because it is unlikely we will retain all our options long term (such as Wilkin).

Cody Walker is going well and should probably get a development contract.

Doesn't seem like a huge number of good options in the backs.

Theo Strang was probably the best of them and putting him on a development contract if we don't manage to retain all of Phipps, Gordon and Lucas seems like a reasonable option.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
^^^^^if it's unlikely we will retain Wilkin in the long term, why the fuck would we sign him at all?

I think he would have played this year if he hadn't got injured again. I think he is better than Wells.

Seems unlikely that we will retain all those backrow players and Hanigan, Dempsey and Holloway have all clearly emerged as better options.

It seems like the moneyball option to replace an older guy who costs you more that isn't in your best 23 with a 20 year old (Swinton) you can sign for substantially less.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I rate Wilkin, and I think he has a very high ceiling.
But, if the horizon is only 2 years, then Miller,Killingworth or the Woods 7 whose name escapes me,were all better options for right now.
There seems to be a policy of corralling as many youngsters as possible, and hoping some of them pay off.
I don't believe that if someone else signs them at 18 you have lost them for life, and I'd prefer they pay a proven youngster $300k than 4 absolutely untried youngsters $75k each

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I rate Wilkin, and I think he has a very high ceiling.
But, if the horizon is only 2 years, then Miller,Killingworth or the Woods 7 whose name escapes me,were all better options for right now.
There seems to be a policy of corralling as many youngsters as possible, and hoping some of them pay off.
I don't believe that if someone else signs them at 18 you have lost them for life, and I'd prefer they pay a proven youngster $300k than 4 absolutely untried youngsters $75k each

I'd guess this is why they signed him in the first place. After two seasons missed with injuries, will they be able to keep him or is the money better spent elsewhere?

I don't think the horizon was only two years. The improvement of other players who are now pretty settled in and the fact that Wilkin's career has been at a standstill potentially change your outlook.

The questions they will need to ask are what it will cost them to keep Wilkin on the books compared to what an alternative player might cost (who isn't likely to be required for the matchday 23 next year) and whether they think his ceiling is still as high given he has lost two years to injury.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I disagree with your inference that it would be expensive to extend him.
His market value has deteriorated since he was first signed on potential (so one would assume it was opportunity not $$ that motivated him)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I disagree with your inference that it would be expensive to extend him.
His market value has deteriorated since he was first signed on potential (so one would assume it was opportunity not $$ that motivated him)

I don't think it will likely be that expensive to retain him and he only turns 22 this year so he's still young.

Hopefully they do persist with him and he can make a good return from injury. I definitely like what I've seen from him in his limited involvement in the last couple of years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Then why do you think it's unlikely we could retain him long term?

He may go elsewhere looking for opportunity or decide that the couple of lost years means he feels like he's in a hurry to try and improve his earnings and look for options overseas.

I'm just speculating. Hopefully he decides that Tahs are a good option long term and he can bide his time on a modest contract for a couple more years whilst he tries to stay healthy and get a place in the matchday 23.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is interesting to see Gibson looking to more mobile athletic high workrate units as opposed to massive bruisers. It fits with the change in style Gibson appears to be working towards (yes he does look to have a plan/style to me)( ball in hand, high passing skills)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Gibson looks to be trying to get them playing Kiwi rugby. It is clear it doesn't come naturally to the players but I think that is his intent.

I don't think size fits into their considerations like it tends to in Australia but more of a focus on technical ability and attitude to work on this part of the game.

I hope 'm right because if he can pull that off in NSW, he can change the conventional attitude across the country.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Gibson said he will be doing his homework on Rob Simmons re possibly signing him for 2018.

Now the Tahs need to do their homework on getting a new coach for 2018.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Ok, where does everyone think the Tahs need to recruit for next year?

For me some decent locks with size and mongrel.

A defensive centre as our defence out wide is going to struggle without Horne.

A strong bench prop

And of course new coaching staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.