• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I don't understand the need to sign a 'defensive' centre like it's a binary thing'- we should be signing good players and good players can attack and defend. Honestly if we got rid of Taqele then defense out wide wouldn't be an issue- his decision making and mobility is horrendous.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
To be honest, I would love to see the defence sorted out - who will do that, I don't know. If that was solidified, I think Gibson has a style he wants them to execute, and they seem to be able to score enough points that they should be highly competitive if they can stop shipping them so badly. So I'm not sold on the idea that Gibson has to go. And I think there's a better chance of improving their ladder rankings with positive increments than a wholesale re-shuffle.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Most importantly we need a defence coach. our attack this year, plus Beale, will win us the Aus conference on our ear, but the defence has to lift 1000%.
As to players, we need locks, reserve props and a 13.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Most importantly we need a defence coach. our attack this year, plus Beale, will win us the Aus conference on our ear, but the defence has to lift 1000%.
Yep.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Rona or Meakes? I want the Force to survive BTW but they'd both have to be on the hit list.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I am with Cyclo, the defence of the Tahs this year has been the worst they have ever produced IIRC. Is there a fundamental incompatibility between Grey's defensive patterns and the players? Or the structure Gibson is running for attack so the transition is particularly bad?

I don't know, but I do know that the Wallabies defence last year was also pretty ordinary, so I lean towards Grey having been found and needing to develop/evolve the structure.

Combine that with recruitment issues around the 2nd row since 2015 and THP and back-up for Foley, and in this area we come back to player development issues with nobody looking ready to step up to play 10 at Super level after Foley.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I have no idea whether Gibson is interested or not, but with Skelton & Mumm both gone next year, McDulling at best a bench option and Toleafoa a dud, we need locks from somewhere.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't know why the Tahs wouldn't sign Simmons if he still had a Wallaby top up contract for 2018.

He'd comfortably be in our best 23 and most likely starting regardless of who else we're able to recruit. He immediately gives us some solidity in our set piece.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
If you get Staniforth and Simmons you'll be better in the lock department than you were this year. Might as well chase Neville or Matt Phillip for a return to Sydney also if neither of them head overseas

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If you get Staniforth and Simmons you'll be better in the lock department than you were this year. Might as well chase Neville or Matt Phillip for a return to Sydney also if neither of them head overseas

I don't know about that. Mumm has been pretty ordinary but Skelton has been good. Certainly one of our better performed tight forwards.

It's not like Simmons and Staniforth have enjoyed good seasons.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
You got Tom Staniforth. That's a start I guess.
Im guttered Staniforths gone to the Tahs but his looking for game time, and even if he isnt starting for the Tahs playing SS is probably better then the canberra first grade.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Cam Blades been let go.

Gibson to take over defensive coaching duties as Grey joins the Wallabies full time (unfortunately for the Wallabies).

Look's like we're in the hunt for some new ACs.

Shame Fischer is with the Brumbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.