• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm glad there is some change. Whether this is the right change its hard to know but I am prepared to give Gibson another season. Its definitely his coaching team now.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Do you have any info on that?

Shute Shield FB has confirmed Simon Cronn will join the Tahs as forwards coach.

What's Colemans specialty?

Will Cronn still take the u20s next year?

His wiki page suggests skills/attack
Coleman returned to Australia to coach in the Shute Shield as head coach of the Penrith Emus for the 2005 season. He then returned to Northern Suburbs as head coach for 2006 and 2007. Coleman was also assistant coach to the Central Coast Rays in the Australian Rugby Championship in 2007.[4] He was appointed to professional Italian club L'Aquila for the 2007–08 season. guiding them to a promotion play-off for the Series A Division.[4]
He joined the Brumbies as head coach of the Brumbies Academy for the 2009 season.[4] Brumbies head coach Andy Friend nominated Coleman as the Brumbies attack coach for the 2011 Super Rugby season, but the appointment was vetoed by the administration.[7] He left for Japan to coach Toyota Industries Shuttles, where he guided the team to gain promotion to the Top League for the 2013–14 season.[8][9]

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Don't believe everything you read.
He is risk averse, with very one dimensional game plans.
If he can't heavily recruit for the Tahs, and demand more commitment of time and effort from the players, then he won't improve anything.

I think that is true for anyone

But I would like to see Mick Byrne and Cheika (and their successors) have more input into the section of all coaching positions at all clubs, we need buy in and a central plan/style committed to

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Has there actually been anything linking Coleman to the Tahs or is this purely someone's wishlist of assistant coaches?

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Has there actually been anything linking Coleman to the Tahs or is this purely someone's wishlist of assistant coaches?

Coleman has had a brilliant roster with The Eagles and on paper, should have won the comp. His club sides have under performed although the Rats are going well this year.
I don't rate him as compared with Simon Cron who took a team of handy players, developed them, and won a comp.
From the SS, Matt Barr, Todd Louden, Shannon Fraser all have more to offer IMO.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I spared a thought for the Tahs last night watching the Canes and the Lions. That thought was what idiot let Lousi go? You have no decent locks and he may of been underwhelming at the Tahs but somebody at the canes saw something in him and has got it out of him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I spared a thought for the Tahs last night watching the Canes and the Lions. That thought was what idiot let Lousi go? You have no decent locks and he may of been underwhelming at the Tahs but somebody at the canes saw something in him and has got it out of him.

He missed a fair bit of the two seasons he was with the Waratahs through injury.

He would certainly be useful for the Tahs, particularly next season but I think this is more a case of a New Zealander wanting to return to NZ because an opportunity came up.

Sam Lousi said:
"When the opportunity came along to join the Hurricanes and move home it was too hard to turn down,”

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Coleman has had a brilliant roster with The Eagles and on paper, should have won the comp. His club sides have under performed although the Rats are going well this year.
I don't rate him as compared with Simon Cron who took a team of handy players, developed them, and won a comp.
From the SS, Matt Barr, Todd Louden, Shannon Fraser all have more to offer IMO.

I also think that Cronn's coaching philosophy will be a good fit at the Tahs. He seems to have no time for prima donnas and instead instils simple, effective game plans that rely upon everyone doing, and enjoying, their job.

A good friend who has been coached by him in the very recent past said that Cronn reported that he was filthy that he was told he had to play Dempsey in the starting lineup of his Rays side last year (as he is a Waratah).

Why? He wanted a six that hit rucks with a fantastic workrate over someone whose looking for the next linebreak to add to their highlight reel.

Hopefully he'll have a bit of a say in the squad changes over the next few years.

Otherwise, in re: to Lousi, I hope this doesn't turn into a Nadolo-esque example. He didn't deserve a contract when he wasn't offered one, and of course he's flourished in a NZ set-up: anyone would.

I maintain that if you took some of Australia's most average club players and dumped them into a NZ franchise they'd thrive. Why? The player development is far superior and its much easier to look good in a team where everyone is executing their role to a very high standard.

Edit: good article on Cronn.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/c...lub-rugbys-beating-heart-20160805-gqm8fm.html

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
I also think that Cronn's coaching philosophy will be a good fit at the Tahs. He seems to have no time for prima donnas and instead instils simple, effective game plans that rely upon everyone doing, and enjoying, their job.

A good friend who has been coached by him in the very recent past said that Cronn reported that he was filthy that he was told he had to play Dempsey in the starting lineup of his Rays side last year (as he is a Waratah).

Why? He wanted a six that hit rucks with a fantastic workrate over someone whose looking for the next linebreak to add to their highlight reel.

Hopefully he'll have a bit of a say in the squad changes over the next few years.

Otherwise, in re: to Lousi, I hope this doesn't turn into a Nadolo-esque example. He didn't deserve a contract when he wasn't offered one, and of course he's flourished in a NZ set-up: anyone would.

I maintain that if you took some of Australia's most average club players and dumped them into a NZ franchise they'd thrive. Why? The player development is far superior and its much easier to look good in a team where everyone is executing their role to a very high standard.

Edit: good article on Cronn.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/c...lub-rugbys-beating-heart-20160805-gqm8fm.html
Great Post. Perhaps NZ Rugby boffins pursue players that are good at the 95 percenters than those that can pull off the odd 5 percent play - which is where I see Jack Dempsey & others on The Waratahs roster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I really like everything I have seen from Simon Cronn however I have reservations about how quickly this has all come. SS to NRC to Aus 20s to Waratahs in the space of 18mths. Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.