• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
I really like everything I have seen from Simon Cronn however I have reservations about how quickly this has all come. SS to NRC to Aus 20s to Waratahs in the space of 18mths. Anyone else?

I'm also pretty skeptical of Cron. If Norths hadn't won the Shute Shield, some other team would have. And it's not like the U20s played that well this year. We finished fifth (or sixth?).

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm also pretty skeptical of Cron. If Norths hadn't won the Shute Shield, some other team would have. And it's not like the U20s played that well this year. We finished fifth (or sixth?).

Look at the growth in the teams he's coached, it gives the results more context.

Whilst I don't think he is the messiah like some others, he's obviously a good footy coach. Every team he's coached has gotten better (Norths, Rays, and the 20s).

21mmstuds

Stan Wickham (3)
The Rats have gone backwards under Coleman this year. He was also punted by Easts at the end of last year.

I'll bite, sour grapes maybe, Rats are the only team to beat Manly, they are clear 2nd on the table, equal bonus points with manly, have a top try scorer in their team, and in the five rounds to go, 3 are home games and none of those teams have beaten us by more than 5 points...if that's going backwards, give me a couple more Darren Coleman's.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Jake Gordon re-signed for two more years. Same article suggests Matt Lucas could be off to the Brumbies (which must suggest Cubelli won't be there next season).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'll bite, sour grapes maybe, Rats are the only team to beat Manly, they are clear 2nd on the table, equal bonus points with manly, have a top try scorer in their team, and in the five rounds to go, 3 are home games and none of those teams have beaten us by more than 5 points.if that's going backwards, give me a couple more Darren Coleman's.

Maybe you should talk to a few players and long time supporters out there.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If the rats get their name on silverware there'll be no asterisk to indicate they didn't have the approval of the long time supporters.
The players? Presumably those who aren't in 1s?
In some ways this criticism of DC mirrors the criticism of him at Easts (without the success - which I'm happy to discuss my theories on). I've heard it before - " he's too prescriptive". Thry said that about Warren Ryan too.
For my money this is the opposite of the Robbie Deans philosophy - which we are now seeing implemented under Darryl Gibson: both criticised for pretty much not telling the players precisely what to do and when.
Maybe it's our current players who don't play in the park every night including summer any more but whatever it is they need structure these days when they didn't years ago.
I'll take an ugly premiership over midfield anonymity any day.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
if the Rats get their name on the silverware then he's done his job.
Anything less and he's failed.
the bookies say he's got a 1 in 6 chance of not failing.

And judging by the age of his recruits, he's not building for the future.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hickey and Foley used to say that.:)
Too bad they never won one.
if the Rats get their name on the silverware then he's done his job.
Anything less and he's failed.
the bookies say he's got a 1 in 6 chance of not failing.

And judging by the age of his recruits, he's not building for the future.
Why has he failed if he gets them deep into playoffs?
All this shorttermism - win the comp improve the morale worry about style next year........
Is this the wrong thread, btw?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Too bad they never won one.

Why has he failed if he gets them deep into playoffs?
All this shorttermism - win the comp improve the morale worry about style next year....
Is this the wrong thread, btw?
it would be a fail as he took over a club where both 1's & 2's made the finals and I think 3's in the GF last year.
Someone pointed out to me that there were 16 or 17 recruited players in 1' & 2's last week.
Most of them in their late 20 s and too many in their 30's.
He hasn't improved anyone, he's rounded up what he hopes is a better pool of players.
How would that strategy help the Tahs?

It's relevant in so far as some are touting him as possible Tahs coaching material.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
it would be a fail as he took over a club where both 1's & 2's made the finals and I think 3's in the GF last year.
Someone pointed out to me that there were 16 or 17 recruited players in 1' & 2's last week.
Most of them in their late 20 s and too many in their 30's.
He hasn't improved anyone, he's rounded up what he hopes is a better pool of players.
How would that strategy help the Tahs?

It's relevant in so far as some are touting him as possible Tahs coaching material.
Old age recruiting doesn't help the Tahs - they continue to follow it - the strategy that might is to have a structured style instead of the kiwi play what's in front of you and rely on your skills.
ILTW you don't declare your club allegiance with an avatar so I'm wondering why this interests you.
Only being touted as an assistant I thought - but it could not work on the basis that Gibson is a framework coach and DC is a details coach.
Neither has Coleman.;)
True - but Easts rolled him in an unsatisfactory way said to be based on the player's complaint that he was too prescriptive - (it was also dressed up as a money issue) - they had dubious cattle and he must have added something to their colts recruiting for season 2016 judging by who they got. There were also some wider improvements in player welfare under him - I don't know to what extent he was behind them.
Players I know who have been coached by him generally have a lot of time for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.