• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I watched him play for their reds last 2 games and he was smashing blokes. He monstered a few of the Argies on Sunday morning. Early in the season, but he could be back... or alternatively he was killing it to get a few more $$$$$$ on his French contract.

Certainly in defence. I agree that he has really found some good form though.

But the reality is that the Tahs have Simmons and Staniforth on the books now.

I think we need the lock that pairs with them and I'm not sure Douglas is that guy. We need a lock who excels as a ball runner.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He mightn't be that player anymore, but he is closer to that role then Staniforth or Simmons. It's a shame Douglas is leaving

I agree, he is playing some really good rugby in the last couple of weeks. Whilst right now it would be an improvement for the Tahs, I think it would still be lacking from the desired combo. You'd still look at Douglas and Simmons together and want to replace one of them with a ball running lock.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Is Douglas that guy anymore though? It seems like he is the workrate lock that we have in droves rather than the bruising, ball-running lock.
He never was, he always has been a work rate lock

Simmons has that role and we have an effective lineout, it is a reasonable compromise. We just need a dynamic runner in the back five.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is Dempsey really that player though?

I reckon he's the best ball runner in the Tahs pack.

He's not really the guy you want crunching everything a metre from the ruck hoping to make 2m but I think he is the player most likely to bust tackles and make a break. He's the closest in ball running the Tahs have to a Sean McMahon.

A big ball running crash ball lock to provide that other attribute would be great but we simply don't have one and aren't going to have one this season.

T

TOCC

He's not really the guy you want crunching everything a metre from the ruck hoping to make 2m but I think he is the player most likely to bust tackles and make a break. He's the closest in ball running the Tahs have to a Sean McMahon.

A big ball running crash ball lock to provide that other attribute would be great but we simply don't have one and aren't going to have one this season.

Fair enough, and don't take my question as me doubting that opinion, I was genuinely interested, I haven't watched enough of Dempsey to see that aspect of him yet.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So, if/when Dempsey returns (I think he should go straight in at 6) we lose Han igan's skill at the lineout. I wouldn't pick Ned for the second row before any of Simmons, Staniforth or Palmer, which makes him a monte for the bench to cover 4/5/6.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So, if/when Dempsey returns (I think he should go straight in at 6) we lose Han igan's skill at the lineout. I wouldn't pick Ned for the second row before any of Simmons, Staniforth or Palmer, which makes him a monte for the bench to cover 4/5/6.

I disagree. I think Ned has played better at lock than most of them. He'll stay in the starting side whether it is at lock or 6.

Dempsey can play 8 as well.

On season form I'd have Hanigan ahead of both Holloway and Wells.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
A quick stat for Tahs fans to ponder.
In the 4 matches for 2018, the Tahs in the first half have scored 44 points and conceded 80 points, they have not yet won a first half.
Conversely, in the second half they have scored 91 points and conceded only 36! They have not lost a second half.
WTF, do they not know what time these games start??
I guess you have to concede the fitness is pretty good.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Concerning stats in all honesty, I am very happy that they won over the weekend but they need to tighten things up a bit in defence (And attack). We are going to have to win a couple of games "Ugly" and show some variety when we play NZ teams otherwise we are toast!

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Concerning stats in all honesty, I am very happy that they won over the weekend but they need to tighten things up a bit in defence (And attack). We are going to have to win a couple of games "Ugly" and show some variety when we play NZ teams otherwise we are toast!

I thought our win in round 2 was an 'ugly' win, and a game we probably wouldn't have won in 2017. Still a bit to go before we're comfortably beating NZ teams, well, beating them forget about comfortably.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
You are absolutely right 2017 Tahs would have lost that game, I am not expecting miracles this year but I would hope that they at least win one game against NZ sides, actually I am hoping that ONE Aussie team beats a Kiwi side once this year.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

He was a good ball runner for his last few displays for the Wallabies. I don't think he ever really showed that kind of form for the Waratahs, hence the apprehension from a lot of people when he was given a run on at 6 (too many Tahs etc.)

Luckily for him, he put up a MotM performance in a win against the ABs.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I like Dempsey and the way he plays, but remember that Sam Carter walked away with nearly all the awards after his debut game for the Wallabies. Nobody now is suggesting he should still be a starter at lock in the national side.

If Dempsey keeps his form, he will make a big contribution towards what is looking like a pretty formidable Wallaby back row (depending on selections of course).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Phipps was quite interesting on the Foxsports podcast this week

He went into detail on his role as club captain and what the Tahs are doing to build a tight "family" culture. Greg Clarke was on as well so we also got insight from a family member as well

edit: Also Hooper hates phones, they are required to stay in the players lockers

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...e/news-story/1f09741841a6b3e70a45e6a0da31b0d7

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Members Survey went out yesterday afternoon regarding potential venues for next season.

Obviously there is some chance they will still be at the SFS because the government is under pressure to cancel the SFS knockdown and rebuild.

Personally I went with Parramatta Stadium as my preferred option given it will be a brand new rectangular stadium and also has the added benefit of bringing more rugby to Western Sydney.

I also said yes to a regional match (of which I think Newcastle is the best option) and said I would travel for it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Random question related to the rebuilds. I've heard from some reasonably reliable sources that the reason the SFS (only the SFS not Allianz) requires a rebuild is because it has concrete cancer.

Now i am not aware of any report being made public detailing the structural integrity of the building or anything else to that effect. Does anyone know if there is one?

It's hard to believe a) there would be all this fuss if the building was genuinely a danger and equally b) if the report existed they would not release it for some reason given the hullabaloo.

Still, if it exists it would probably drastically alter my opinion on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.