• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Jeez Hawko you're a tough man to please if you don't think a good performance in a semi-final is 'doing well'.

It wasn't a 10 out of 10 season by any stretch, but it was probably an 8. I'm not over the moon with it, but I'll take it with a smile.
It's an 8 of the back of the debacle of 2017.
But we had a 50% win rate in the weakest pool,with 25% win v kiwi teams.
I give it a 6 for performance and an 8 for effort.
With a most improved to the front office.
I consistently received marketing material with good offering throughout the year.
Hopefully they can maintain the trajectory and continue the improvement.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
One would have to accept brumbies and rebels been more successful in the recruitment stakes for 2019.

As we need another winger and lock at the minimum and possibly another 8 option, and so far zilch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
So with about 21 or so confirmed for next year of the players still not re signed who would anyone keep??

Cam Clark?

Brad Wilkin??

??

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Tahs should add Emmanuel Meafou to the preseason squad and get him on whatever diet Will Skelton is on. The guy is faster than Skelton as seen when he made a line break in the SS final and the backs struggled to catch him for a while.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Tahs should add Emmanuel Meafou to the preseason squad and get him on whatever diet Will Skelton is on. The guy is faster than Skelton as seen when he made a line break in the SS final and the backs struggled to catch him for a while.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Big and strong. Would love to give him a go. But wait not light and mobile so not sure if Gibson would go for it.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Tahs need to look at what is happening (or lack of) in the NRC NSW sides to see what is wrong. Problem is our recent recruit shows Tahs aren't seeing it or don't want to see it. Light mobile pack does not work in super rugby. It has not worked since Gibson first brought it into the club. It will not work next season.

In 2018 how many top 8 sides did the Tahs beat?? One. The highlanders. The tahs beat the easier sides. Instead of working out recruitment the Tahs seem to have the mentality that well after two failed seasons under Gibson and his game plan we made the finals off the back of an easier draw and lets want to keep him and his plans longer. Hell they wanted Gibson for two years.

Forwards win games, backs determine by how much.

Tahs need to recruit and now.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
He has been with the squad for a while on a train on before getting 2 years so Cron must see something about him

He's a very mobile prop. That's what they are seeing. Which is great. Props cannot afford to be purely one dimensional in today game. The issue is that his scrummaging isn't where it needs to be. He was on the receiving end of a lesson at the hands of Paddy Ryan. The guy who as a former prop myself I have seen severe deficiencies in his technique over his career and a guy who hasn't really addressed those issues. Essentially, the Tahs version of Ben Alexander.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yep. Every other club seems to want to improve their roster with big forwards while the Tahs keep choosing wrong ones.
We don't need to change our pack. It just needs to be supplemented by one or two big bodies. Skelton and a promising youngster would do the job.

For all the slating, our lightweight pack performed pretty well last season (two lions games aside).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
We don't need to change our pack. It just needs to be supplemented by one or two big bodies. Skelton and a promising youngster would do the job.

For all the slating, our lightweight pack performed pretty well last season (two lions games aside).

My issue isn't about whether it's lightweight or not. It's in the technical aspects of play. I've always thought of Ryan as being comparatively weak come scrum time. For us to sign someone who he got the better of pretty decisively in the SS GF is a concern because if you are going to go with mobility over size then everyone on the paddock must without exception be technically proficient particularly in the case of Props and the scrum.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)

Add the brumbies, rebels, Blues, chiefs etc to that list. Also the amount of times the opposition teams made easy ground against the Tahs pack. How many times were forwards easily pushed off our own ball??

There is no Big T and his giant runs to save the Tahs next season.

Is Skelton coming back or are we just speculating?

Status
Not open for further replies.