• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Richie Arnold would be the ideal target, Brumbies, Reds and Rebels all have pretty strong depth in the lock dept, and I really hate to see starting quality players stuck in a logjam where they aren't really needed, I don't care which franchise, I hate warehousing talent anywhere. Richie is currently behind 3 international locks at the Brumbies (with a good young prospect just signed), Reds have a full book and Rebels have Philip and Coleman with a lot of young talent coming through.. It just makes sense! (so will probably never happen!)
Yeh i put Naivalu in this category (hence a move to the Tahs or Brums could be good) and the other interesting one is the Phipps/Gordon dynamic. Both clearly too good to play second fiddle and need to be starting every week

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Yeh i put Naivalu in this category (hence a move to the Tahs or Brums could be good) and the other interesting one is the Phipps/Gordon dynamic. Both clearly too good to play second fiddle and need to be starting every week

That's a tough one.... damned if you do etc... No doubt the one that was let go would tear it up at the next franchise.. But as I said earlier, the best talent needs an opportunity!

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
If only RA would work with the franchises a bit more to get the best spread of talent to match the needs of the clubs..

Brumbies need a hooker, Tahs have 3 who could all start, maybe Roach or Fitzpatrick shift there? Do a swap for Richie Arnold and both clubs win.

Sefa needs a start and the Tahs have a couple of wing spots open after TN and Kellaway leave...easy!

Brumbies need a new 12, Rebs have too many backs, maybe Meakes goes to ACT and Hodge gets a permanent gig at 12 with the Rebs!

Rebels have a very strong squad all round and need to say goodbye to a few.

Brumbies have a very strong squad but are weak in the inside backs and also need backup at 9, I would look to get Ruru there as Goddard is quality and a future Wallaby IMO. CLL is not looking great for the future so maybe a Mack mason from the tahs solves that problem?

Gimme 10 minutes with the Super Rugby coaches and I'll have it all sorted and every kid gets a prize!

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
you all seem to overlook the obvious, that the Oz franchises are all in a fight to the death. one down, another one or two to go. helping each other for the sake of Rugby in Australia is the very last thing on their mind.

remember, always back the horse called self-interest.

ps this applies to everyone, except the Reds who seem incapable of even implementing that simple ethos.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
If only RA would work with the franchises a bit more to get the best spread of talent to match the needs of the clubs..

Brumbies need a hooker, Tahs have 3 who could all start, maybe Roach or Fitzpatrick shift there? Do a swap for Richie Arnold and both clubs win.

Sefa needs a start and the Tahs have a couple of wing spots open after TN and Kellaway leave.easy!

Brumbies need a new 12, Rebs have too many backs, maybe Meakes goes to ACT and Hodge gets a permanent gig at 12 with the Rebs!

Brumbies have a very strong squad but are weak in the inside backs and also need backup at 9, I would look to get Ruru there as Goddard is quality and a future Wallaby IMO. CLL is not looking great for the future so maybe a Mack mason from the tahs solves that problem?

Gimme 10 minutes with the Super Rugby coaches and I'll have it all sorted and every kid gets a prize!
I've read a bit on the rise of Irish rugby. Nucifora had got all the franchises on the same page and the results are pretty impressive. Agree that self interest will stymie any of that here. I'd like to think that RWC success counts for more than States bragging rights m, but I know I'm just dreaming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

The Brumbies don't need a starting hooker - they have Folau Fainga'a.

Apparently one of the Brumbies locks is departing.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
you all seem to overlook the obvious, that the Oz franchises are all in a fight to the death. one down, another one or two to go. helping each other for the sake of Rugby in Australia is the very last thing on their mind.

remember, always back the horse called self-interest.

ps this applies to everyone, except the Reds who seem incapable of even implementing that simple ethos.
Reds are hell bent on Seppuku. Honour, for the good of Aus rugby. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Sefa needs a start and the Tahs have a couple of wing spots open after TN and Kellaway leave.easy!

I admire you creative attempt to equalise the competition JJ, but I really do think you have got it wrong in a couple of places.

Neither of Roach or Fitzpatrick would displace Folau Fiainga'a and if Conal McInerney also stays then hooker is not a spot where the Brumbies will be lacking in 2019. As for No 10, while CLL has some issues after recovering from very severe illness, Mack Mason in no way would be a solution at No 10. He is pretty much below Super standard and would only deplete the existing squad. Now, if Andrew Deegan were to come onto the market, that would be a different matter altogether.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Gnostic, would you see Hanigan as the back up set piece lock to eventually replace Simmons? Seems to play a very similar style of game, maybe even busier, but I don't know if his scrum work at lock is valued.

Not really. He is dynamic in the air and I could see him filling a role like Mowen did at the Tahs and the Brumbies, as a lineout dominant backrower. He isn't a lock really and certainly not a set piece lock like Simmons. As I've said before I was always rather dismissive of Simmons at the Reds and Wallabies until a mate with close ties to the Reds pointed out what Simmons was doing at the set piece and what he brought to the table and that many current players rated him as the best set piece lock in the country at the time.

In saying that his selection must be balanced with a more dynamic and physically dominant lock away from the set pieces.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Not really. He is dynamic in the air and I could see him filling a role like Mowen did at the Tahs and the Brumbies, as a lineout dominant backrower. He isn't a lock really and certainly not a set piece lock like Simmons. As I've said before I was always rather dismissive of Simmons at the Reds and Wallabies until a mate with close ties to the Reds pointed out what Simmons was doing at the set piece and what he brought to the table and that many current players rated him as the best set piece lock in the country at the time.

In saying that his selection must be balanced with a more dynamic and physically dominant lock away from the set pieces.
And he put on a sky blue jersey ;)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

It is interesting how things come at you from left field. Although I had seen him play there occasionally, I had never figured that Holloway might be that dynamic, physically dominant lock. But in the Rebels game I thought he was good (though Philip was way better) and last night he was excellent. How he plays in the next 3-5 weeks will reveal whether he is the second lock for next year with Staniforth and McCauley on the pine. I would still try to buy one of the spare locks, even those who are half way through a contract because we are still weak at 4/5. I would purchase Lukhan Tui, Matt Philip, Rory Arnold, Blake Enever and Richie Arnold in that order. Before anyone starts yelling, QLD is in a huge bind with Thorne having sidelined so many contracted players and my guess is they may agree to Tui returning home to give them some cap relief. Melbourne now look to be under the cap with all their outgoings, but if they buy To'omua or Cooper they would have to be in trouble again. So Philip or Tui are approachable.

Just quietly, Genia/Cooper is the nightmare pairing that the other three teams will be most afraid of.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
For me moving Holloway to lock has been a masterstroke as provided a strong ball running lock that don't have a lot of in aussie rugby and complements Simmons very well.

Lot to like about the Tahs at the moment and yep I was one of the ones who thought Gibson should go and yep happy to say he has proved me wrong.

Lot to like about the Tahs at the moment.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
For me moving Holloway to lock has been a masterstroke as provided a strong ball running lock that don't have a lot of in aussie rugby and complements Simmons very well.

Lot to like about the Tahs at the moment and yep I was one of the ones who thought Gibson should go and yep happy to say he has proved me wrong.

Lot to like about the Tahs at the moment.

There is, though we should have lost the Rebels game! I still don't think we have the grunt to beat the Crusaders/Hurricanes/Highlanders/Lions/Chiefs forward packs though. We are trying to win by avoiding the collisions but I don't think that worked in the Rebels game and I know it won't work against the Crusaders. Maybe we'll beat the Brumbies this week, but if we do I think it will be the backs that get us home. The forward battle will be nail-chewing interesting.

I am speculating that we'll know a lot more out of next Saturday than we did from this Saturday. The Sunnies could be best described as the Waratahs-lite.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There is, though we should have lost the Rebels game! I still don't think we have the grunt to beat the Crusaders/Hurricanes/Highlanders/Lions/Chiefs forward packs though. We are trying to win by avoiding the collisions but I don't think that worked in the Rebels game and I know it won't work against the Crusaders. Maybe we'll beat the Brumbies this week, but if we do I think it will be the backs that get us home. The forward battle will be nail-chewing interesting.

I am speculating that we'll know a lot more out of next Saturday than we did from this Saturday. The Sunnies could be best described as the Waratahs-lite.

The Brumbies' pack will be a test for the Tahs. In the past two weeks they have got the better of both the Hurricanes and the Chiefs in the set piece so the Tahs will get a very good idea of what they'll be up against in the finals series.

While I agree that the Tahs should win on the strength of their backs, it should be remembered that the Brumbies outscored the Hurricanes and finished even with the Chiefs in terms of tries scored. Not too shabby for a side not rated to have a competitive backline. The Tahs will be tested everywhere except probably in the air.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I’ll be interested to see how Holloway plays should he be moved back to the backrow next year if the Waratahs get another lock on board. If he can maintain this form at 8 a back row of Dempsey, Hooper, Holloway is pretty enticing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I’ll be interested to see how Holloway plays should he be moved back to the backrow next year if the Waratahs get another lock on board. If he can maintain this form at 8 a back row of Dempsey, Hooper, Holloway is pretty enticing.

I think we have learnt to keep Hollaway in the game he plays lock. Stick him in the backrow and he goes fades out

Status
Not open for further replies.