• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNude

Peter Burge (5)
so alot of variations our backline can take now but id go for

9) Gordon

The battle for the 9 jersey will be really interesting to watch this year. I think both players are off contract at the end of the season and on last years form (especially early on) you'd have to thing that Gordon is probably the guy you'd want to lock in 2020 onwards.

The World Cup squad playing will also likely play a factor. You'd have to think that whoever gets the combination right with Foley would be booking themselves a trip to Japan behind Genia.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Cameron Clark, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Kurtley Beale, Angus Bell, Jack Dempsey, Ben Donaldson, BJ Edwards, Damien Fitzpatrick, Lalakai Foketi, Israel Folau, John Folau, Bernard Foley, Jake Gordon, Ned Hanigan, Will Harris, Will Harrison, Jed Holloway, Michael Hooper, Karmichael Hunt, Harry Johnson-Holmes, Sekope Kepu, Tolu Latu, Mack Mason, Ryan McCauley, Will Miller, Alex Newsome, Rory O’Connor, Nick Phipps, James Ramm, Tom Robertson, Le Roux Roets, Curtis Rona, JP Sauni, Mitch Short, Rob Simmons, Hugh Sinclair, Tom Staniforth, Rory Suttor, Lachlan Swinton, Patrick Tafa, Chris Talakai, Andrew Tuala, Shambeckler Vui, Cody Walker, Michael Wells, Jeremy Williams

A bunch of junior players in there. I didn't know Hugh Sinclair and BJ Edwards were in the mix either.

am I correct in saying these lads are 'development contracts'?

Angus Bell
Ben Donaldson
BJ Edwards
Will Harris
James Ramm
Hugh Sinclair
Rory Suttor
Chris Talakai
Andrew Tuala
Jeremy Williams

based on the squad profiles basically:

http://www.nswwaratahs.com.au/waratahs/squad

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Happy to see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and hunt signed but missing some good rising talent that could see replacing the ageing backline in years to come...short term looks good but long term and next development crop looks light on for backs..compared to say brumbies squad...maybe I don’t know enough about the development players but not seeing the next generation of super stars in there.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
am I correct in saying these lads are 'development contracts'?

Angus Bell
Ben Donaldson
BJ Edwards
Will Harris
James Ramm
Hugh Sinclair
Rory Suttor
Chris Talakai
Andrew Tuala
Jeremy Williams

based on the squad profiles basically:

http://www.nswwaratahs.com.au/waratahs/squad

I'm going to guess Hugh Sinclair, BJ Edwards and maybe Andrew Tuala aren't. They are all pretty firmly established Shute Shield players, and Edwards played professionally in England.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Agree pretty much.

Except I think Phipps will start ahead of Gordon. Seems to me Gibson was going that way last year.
Think Falou will play more on the wing than fullback

It'll be interesting to see whether Cheika has much influence on where guys like Beale and Folau end up for the tahs. supposedly there will be more cohesiveness with the national team so i expect Folau at fullback (even though i think he would be a better wing and beale a better fullback)

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
It'll be interesting to see whether Cheika has much influence on where guys like Beale and Folau end up for the tahs. supposedly there will be more cohesiveness with the national team so i expect Folau at fullback (even though i think he would be a better wing and beale a better fullback)
I really doubt he will have much influence at that level. He has had a serious wing clipping. (his selection voice now 1/3 of what it was)

I can't see any coach taking Cheika's advice on what position certain players should play.

Especially so, given Cheikas own disregard for what numbers mean on the back of a jumper.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hunt has been very well advised in the past 12 months. Kept his head down, trained hard, fronted up in the NRC, no public big nights on the piss, no angry interviews or quotes about Thorn etc.

He's played the long game, and it seems to be paying off.
Yes and hence smart for tahs to sign him as could be a good redemption story as he is no carney who was a nrl grub but yes he had a drug problem and paid heavy price and the public do like seeing people who fall of the rails but are not bad people have a shot at redemption. Deserves his last chance and could be a good news story for rugby if hunt stays clean and succeeds at the tahs. For rugby’s sake I hope that is the case as would also sell a good message for young players wanting to consider rugby as opposed to league that we will do our best to help you if you play your part.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yes and hence smart for tahs to sign him as could be a good redemption story as he is no carney who was a nrl grub but yes he had a drug problem and paid heavy price and the public do like seeing people who fall of the rails but are not bad people have a shot at redemption. Deserves his last chance and could be a good news story for rugby if hunt stays clean and succeeds at the tahs. For rugby’s sake I hope that is the case as would also sell a good message for young players wanting to consider rugby as opposed to league that we will do our best to help you if you play your part.

He will make the RWC squad. Cheika loves the way he plays (so do I). He is a straight up hard footy player and we don't have many guys that hate to lose and compete as hard as he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.