• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I have been thinking this too (plus there are a bunch of others off contract after 2019).

I see potential for the Tahs to sign a marquee player for one year at lock (except not Dud Roodt) and then sign a local for 2020.
Pretty sure marquee signings are a thing of the past, seem to remember them announcing the end of it this year. Not sure if that includes the Japanese/fijian provisions though

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Pretty sure marquee signings are a thing of the past, seem to remember them announcing the end of it this year. Not sure if that includes the Japanese/fijian provisions though

Cron said he was off to watch the SS, Bris and look up Aus units o/s

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Early retirement due to a serious/recurring neck injury.
Certainly missed as a player.
Unsure of his current involvement but no longer in the West.
I think he's started a career in financial planning in Sydney.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
With talk of Tui wanting to move back to the Tahs I think they should be doing everything in their power to get him. If we’re talking about needing a more powerful pack then he is the man for the job. Since that 3rd Irish where he started at 6 I think he’s gone to another level, he was astounding in the trial game last weekend.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tui is a fine player and just what the Tahs have missed the past couple of seasons (in the forwards at least - Naiyaravoro is another story). But I have to wonder exactly what is in store for the Reds if the exodus continues. Will it be a case of shrinking to three for greatness?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reds have terrific depth coming through (wrong thread sorry), mostly in the forwards (you're mate Harry Hockings was awesome for his club side on the weekend). We just need to keep some experience around it.

Reactions: dru

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Reds have terrific depth coming through (wrong thread sorry), mostly in the forwards (you're mate Harry Hockings was awesome for his club side on the weekend). We just need to keep some experience around it.

I posted in another thread, both parties could have a win/win if Gordon was up for a change to enhance his career.

Tui goes South, Gordon goes North. better than having a player wanting to move and another wasting talent. Both parties also need players in these spots

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Can Super Rugby teams trade players? I seem to recall the Force and Rebels doing some sort of trade a few years ago, but can't remember who was involved.

If I were the Tahs I'd be looking to trade to get Tui if possible. Gordon could go north, or Hegarty, or Clark, or a mix of the three.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Can Super Rugby teams trade players? I seem to recall the Force and Rebels doing some sort of trade a few years ago, but can't remember who was involved.

If I were the Tahs I'd be looking to trade to get Tui if possible. Gordon could go north, or Hegarty, or Clark, or a mix of the three.

I guess they can do what they like if the two parties were up for the idea.

Aus Rugby administration doesn't have a good track record for creativity of mind to think these things

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
why would we want Gordon? We have McDermott, Sorovi and Tuttle? The last thing we need is another 9.

Our shortage is further out in the backs and the only really options to fill gaps would be the Waratah stalwarts in Foley, Beale or Folau.

None of which would happen.

Although, perhaps we could take Mack Mason back? Stewart could revert to 15 I guess.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)

I think there needs to be player agreement. You would think if you could compel a player to go elsewhere, the Reds would have sent Quade elsewhere, even if they had to pay part of his contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Playing every week, is better than sitting behind Phipps.

It also basically means he cannot make the Wallabies (barring injuries), which at the end of the day is where is career trajectory would want to go.

In the Irish system he'd be moved on, e.g. Carbery

He does play every week, he just doesn't always start. Obviously Phipps was injured at the start of the season but Gordon started more games in 2018 than Phipps and played more minutes.

He played 350 more minutes than any of the Reds halfbacks.

I just don't see a move to Queensland as definitely improving his chances.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
why would we want Gordon? We have McDermott, Sorovi and Tuttle? The last thing we need is another 9.

Our shortage is further out in the backs and the only really options to fill gaps would be the Waratah stalwarts in Foley, Beale or Folau.

None of which would happen.

Although, perhaps we could take Mack Mason back? Stewart could revert to 15 I guess.

We're truly in the hypothetical here, so let's dive right in. Reg, you play the part of the Reds. I will play the Tahs.

No chance in hell I'll ever trade Foley, Beale or Folau so let's rule them out.

For Lukhan Tui, my first offer is Mack Mason and Jed Holloway.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We're truly in the hypothetical here, so let's dive right in. Reg, you play the part of the Reds. I will play the Tahs.

No chance in hell I'll ever trade Foley, Beale or Folau so let's rule them out.

For Lukhan Tui, my first offer is Mack Mason and Jed Holloway.

he's offering me a shute shield fly'alf and a seagulling lock for a International standard power forward who can play two positions at test level. Me wif my poor dying grandmother...

You seem like a good guy though, I'll take your Mack Mason offering despite his Shute Shield performances and I'll happily take Rona off your hands too despite the fact he's proven himself a level below the professional stuff this last month.

I'd be doing you a favour on both offerings, but that's the type of guy I am.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
he's offering me a shute shield fly'alf and a seagulling lock for a International standard power forward who can play two positions at test level. Me wif my poor dying grandmother.

You seem like a good guy though, I'll take your Mack Mason offering despite his Shute Shield performances and I'll happily take Rona off your hands too despite the fact he's proven himself a level below the professional stuff this last month.

EXHIBIT A: Reg going full Queenslandah. Such a beautiful sight.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So you're leaving Holloway on the table? Wow, way to give the bloke a bit of motivation.

Rona and Mason for Tui? You've got yourself a deal.

Meanwhile I'm on the other phone to Sefa Naivalu, telling him we've got a sudden opening at 13 that he may be perfect to fill.......

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So you're leaving Holloway on the table? Wow, way to give the bloke a bit of motivation.

Rona and Mason for Tui? You've got yourself a deal.

Meanwhile I'm on the other phone to Sefa Naivalu, telling him we've got a sudden opening at 13 that he may be perfect to fill...

yeah...well Ben Smith just hit us up on WhatsApp to say he realises he hates the cold and loves the Gold Coast so wants to move to play for the Reds for match fees.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
he's offering me a shute shield fly'alf and a seagulling lock for a International standard power forward who can play two positions at test level. Me wif my poor dying grandmother.

Here's my counter offer:

We'll take Lukhan Tui who wants to leave and we'll take James Slipper off your hands so you don't have to pay his salary whilst he just plays club rugby because your coach isn't going to select him.

We'll throw in a couple of Tahs stickers and a few olds members scarves and hats we've got sitting around.

If you change your mind on Mack Mason, we'll think about sending him back to Queensland.

Status
Not open for further replies.