• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
My issue with Hunt is that he cannot distribute very well at 12 (that's why he just puts his head down and carries and everyone says wow Karmichael looks good). I believe that players who have had more time at the Tahs', like Newsome, Foketi and Hegarty (if he was still there), could distribute better at 12 so that the Tahs could play similar to the way that they play with Kurtley at 12 (ie. spread the ball wide and score a lot of points - something that didn't happen against the Hurricanes).

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Has Newsome ever played 12?
Not sure, but has played a lot of 13 for Eastern Suburbs, bit of 13 for NSW Country Eagles. More thinking of how well he knows Mack Mason and how that could be handy if both Foley and Beale are resting. Daryl Gibson has acknowledged that Newsome has outstanding application and attitude to professional rugby, I know this means nothing, but when it comes to defence and just generally doing the basics of a key position like 12 I think he would be capable of stepping up. Little line break v the Canes last week is a sign that he is growing fast (third year of professional rugby now).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Newsome is less of a ball player than Hunt though.

Foketi is similar.

Hegarty is more of a ball player but less of a runner and defender. Hegarty would make a somewhat similar 12 to Beale just not as good.

I still think the Tahs did well out of the swap with the Reds for Hunt. They have gained a player who is likely to be in their starting XV and lost a guy who wouldn't be.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
For all the Hanigan criticism, might be worth acknowledging that he has improved a lot since 2017. Made an impressive jackal today to save the day after Holloway turnover + good jackal on Jordie Barrett last week. Really frustrating that Gibson doesn’t show faith in the subs and give them decent game time. Scrum looks much better with O’Connor out there, unlucky not to win a penalty late in the second half.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The thing about Hanigan was that we all knew he'd be good once he was big enough. Had the motor, had the skills, just not the size.

Now he looks much bigger, and shock horror he actually looks good. The jackal turnover was a beauty that might have saved a try. He's still young and I'm really keen to see what he and Dempsey can do this season.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tahs looked better I thought in week 1 with Hunt and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the centres....now I am not suggesting dropping Beale from starting xv...but do continue to wonder if Beale would be better at 15 and move Folau to the wing for the Tahs. As for Wallabies I increasingly feel Beale might end up bench option if Kerevi and Petaia keeps up playing the sort of combination they showed against the Highlanders.

So something like:
9. Gordon
10. Foley
11. Folau
12. Hunt
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (with Foketi out injured)
14. Rona
15. Beale

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't think there is a realistic scenario where Beale and Hunt are on the field together and Beale isn't at 12. He's the best 12 in Aus and Hunt has done much more at fullback to impress than he has at centre.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Except that Hunt can both defend and attack from 12, Beale can perform the same role he does now from 15 (which he does half the time anyway) and that some of the best games Hunt has had since he came over to Rugby was when he played 12 for the Wallabies before he got injured again.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We can faff around with the backline all we want but it’s not going to matter too much if the forwards are going nowhere.
Can't see this changing. Kepu and Dempsey can't do it all themselves, all season. Kepu is going to be absolutely cooked come Wallaby time (if he's picked over 7A's and Tupou).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't think there is a realistic scenario where Beale and Hunt are on the field together and Beale isn't at 12. He's the best 12 in Aus and Hunt has done much more at fullback to impress than he has at centre.
Maybe not eh.

Honestly, if CLL or Quade can bring the playmaking i'd be happy for Beale to be dropped and Kerevi or Hunt be picked at 12. They both run hard and, more importantly, defend. I think Kerevi lacks the positional nous to play 13 at test but with TK in form and Petaia looking exceptional, i can't find space for Beale in the team.

Same goes for To'omua, really. And neither showed much form last year for the Wallabies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Gee, one of our teams had to be there. Frankly we did not deserve the honour, did we?
I dunno. That’s a bit tough IMO. They keep a points table for a reason and the Tahs topped the Aussie conference so, by virtue of that, deserved their spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.