• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Even if Gordon was to go north in an attempt to nail down a starting halfback role he may well be subjected to Thorn's penchant for benching players mysteriously or removing them from the team altogether. Seems to be a bit of a gamble to me.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Here's my counter offer:

We'll take Lukhan Tui who wants to leave and we'll take James Slipper off your hands so you don't have to pay his salary whilst he just plays club rugby because your coach isn't going to select him.

We'll throw in a couple of Tahs stickers and a few olds members scarves and hats we've got sitting around.

If you change your mind on Mack Mason, we'll think about sending him back to Queensland.

If you are looking to flog a few things that noone really wants and are just going to waste, what about 10,000 free tickets to each Waratahs home game? ;)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
See I just think of the Tahs as having a few decent backs on the payroll but when you lay it out like that^^^ it seems more expensive. Also makes me feel we’re paying a lot for a small group of very good players at the cost of a more well rounded team.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Time to redirect those salary cap accusations to Tah town.

Folau, Foley, Beale, Phipps, Hooper, Simmons and Kepu must soak up a fair chunk.

Robertson, Latu, Dempsey too.

Rodda going there for money as well?

Forget the Rebels, the king Is back.
The Hooper deal is sizeable too. 6 million over 5 years.

He can't be far behind Piutau as the highest paid player in the world. Surely the highest paid forward.

I love Hooper but you have to wonder whether any one player is worth that much to a cash strapped franchise/country.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not so long ago, the salary cap was $4.6mil. Now, Hooper is being paid a quarter of a team's salary cap per season. That news isn't going to make it easy to negotiate with Folau.

RubixCube

Frank Nicholson (4)
I wonder what/how much influence Cron has on recruitment this year, I think its fair to say he is probably $1.01 to be head coach next year (2020) and I think he will want to make sure the blocks are in place for him when he takes over, tough situation to be in i'd imagine, doubt he can veto a player if would not want to be stuck with on a long term contract.
I would imagine he would be delighted with Hooper resigning, Rodda and Tui in the frame for a move.

Thoughts?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Can someone remind me how the top up system works again? Is it a matter of the ARU putting a value on the player and then sharing the cost with the franchise? On what basis is the cost sharing? Is it right that the value applies no matter which Franchise might be interested in the player? That is, would Hooper cost any franchise the same amount once the ARU determine his value?

How does it all pan out in relation to Hooper's new contract? How much does the ARU stump up, and how much does the NSWRU (or Waratahs) have to find?

And, in my very best Mike Carlton voice, "Is this the six million dollar man?".

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Not asking much there BR ........... it's not like we have a copy of the contract in front of us.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I wonder what/how much influence Cron has on recruitment this year, I think its fair to say he is probably $1.01 to be head coach next year (2020) and I think he will want to make sure the blocks are in place for him when he takes over, tough situation to be in i'd imagine, doubt he can veto a player if would not want to be stuck with on a long term contract.
I would imagine he would be delighted with Hooper resigning, Rodda and Tui in the frame for a move.

Thoughts?

Worth listening to the Foxsports Podcast with Cron before the final, it was a master class on how the saders would eliminate the Lions strengths

He also talks about recruitment

RubixCube

Frank Nicholson (4)
Worth listening to the Foxsports Podcast with Cron before the final, it was a master class on how the saders would eliminate the Lions strengths

He also talks about recruitment

I did listen mate, I have not heard another coach talk so clearly and accurately about the game in a long time, his breakdown of the Lions lineout attack and Saders lineout D was breathtaking, Sumo's reaction said it all. I really hope they dont fuk it up and Cron gets poached by another franchise or Europe (unlikely with no top tier head coach experience) /Japan.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
$6mil over 5 years is 1.2mil/year. I understand a good bit of that will be top-up, but it surely can't be more than $600k? And even then, Hooper is more than 10% the cap.

I'm not dissing the guy for getting paid, I'm questioning the Tahs for doing this, it will hurt them when Folau, Beale, and Foley talk about getting a similar deal.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
$6mil over 5 years is 1.2mil/year. I understand a good bit of that will be top-up, but it surely can't be more than $600k? And even then, Hooper is more than 10% the cap.

I'm not dissing the guy for getting paid, I'm questioning the Tahs for doing this, it will hurt them when Folau, Beale, and Foley talk about getting a similar deal.
Pretty sure Foley has signed a 1 year extension and is generally regarded as possibly leaving post RWC19. Beale will be 30 next year and won't be getting a 5 year 6 mil contract. Folau is probably already on something very similar and all the talk is that they are confident he will resign.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The salary cap for this season was $5.5m per team.

I would be surprised if some of the deal isn't 3rd party related like Folau's (i.e. neither RA or the Tahs).

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
To be fair to the Tahs, everyone, it is RA that pays a big chunk of these salaries.

There are players Australia need to lock in for the next two World Cups. Particularly in positions where depth is lacking. Guys are going overseas ahead of getting test caps.

With Rugby Australia's recent windfalls, it's a good opportunity to invest in Wallaby grassroots and Waratah green shoots.

There is a sweet five million being saved out of the former Western Australia allocation. That's each and every year due to cutting the Force – not this year, but at least next year.

This can easily keep a flanker or two in the top handful of pay packets in the world until 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.